Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Rattling test pipe...?Annoying!!!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2009, 08:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rattling test pipe...?Annoying!!!

So since i had a test pipe installed this rattling noise is obnoxious!! It is for sure the test pipe area just dont have a jack stand here...on leave...away from home.Its killer at first start up untill she warms up. Then 1st gear moving forward it rattles till 2500rpm's then silents. I read a topic saying it may be slapping the driveshaft??? but it was proffesionally isnstalled and tuned...any thoughts guys/gals?
Old Aug 19, 2009, 08:56 PM

it could be the heat shield man, had that happen to me thought it was my HFC turned out to be my heat shield rotted through and was rattling loose. Check that first.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 09:08 PM
Evolving Member

heat shield.. ok maverick i hope im not an idiot but the only heat shield i know of is the exhaust manifold heat shield..i only do my oil changes and installed IC pipes i wasn aware of any other heat shields. And if thats what you mean then its not that. I shoved my huge *** head as far as it can go under there..and its sems 100% that area(TEST PIPE)
Old Aug 19, 2009, 09:19 PM

there is a heat shield in between the exhaust/test pipe and bottom of the car frame. it get loose and rattle like crazy. you would see it so it must not be that sorry just trying to help!
Old Aug 19, 2009, 09:19 PM
Evolving Member

i can just hear things not seeing anything physically moving.....urrrgghhhhh I appreciate it mav.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 09:26 PM

no problem hope you find out whats causing it soon. i know when mine rattled it drove me nuts!
Old Aug 19, 2009, 10:41 PM
Evolving Member

bump...i know i cant be the ONLY evo rattling here
Old Aug 19, 2009, 10:51 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
you need to get under the car and look around...grab the test pipe and wiggle it see what it's hitting...it could be hitting the driveshaft

until you get under there, no one can really help you
Old Aug 19, 2009, 10:58 PM
Evolved Member

I know with my Perrin down pipe and test pipe, The stupide cross "x stiffening bars" that tie the sub frame together needed spacers. they were not part of the kit. because w/o it, it would rattle like a biatch mainly at idle. went to Ace hardware and got some lil aluminum spacers, and proble was solved.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 11:00 PM
Evolving Member

By sunday ill get under it...I was just looking for input on similar matters. I started the car cold ran to the passenger side got underneath held the pipe while it was cold and it still f'n rattled.. i mean im a bigger guy and i pulled shook and still ........i know i need to jack it up to see.
COBB TBE + COBB test pipe
Old Aug 20, 2009, 06:13 PM
Evolving Member

are you hearing an exhaust leak by any chance? it typically sounds like a loud pinging noise, which could be mistaken for a rattle.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 06:48 PM

I recently installed a complete exhaust system which included a HFC and had the same exact issue. We kept bending the heat shield back and it would make it better but the vibration/noise would not go away completely. It would do it less each time and more randomly but I could not get it to go away. I then replaced the HFC with a test pipe and bingo, it went away for good. It was definetly the heat shields, and the HFC was causing the to vibrate for some reason. Since you already have the test pipe, not sure what to tell you other than to bend the heat shield in a couple different spots and see how that works.
Old Aug 22, 2009, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Put the car on jack stands .... start it up and find the noise.

Probably the tie bars making contact with the exhaust. I removed mine and noticed no change even on track. Some people space them out.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 07:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
+1 heat shield FTW!
Old Aug 25, 2009, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by chaotichoax
you need to get under the car and look around...grab the test pipe and wiggle it see what it's hitting...it could be hitting the driveshaft

until you get under there, no one can really help you
i second that.. wiggle it up down..side to side. hope you find the rattle soon!

Quick Reply: Rattling test pipe...?Annoying!!!