Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Can't go pass 312 whp

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2010, 10:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't go pass 312 whp

Well recently just went and got my car tune...had a few problems...so just want to get everything fix...first problem...I was suppose to get a fp 25psi wastegate actuator but i think i got a 18 instead because when it is on wastegate pressure it is at 18psi...I already talked to fp and seems like a easy fix...so no problem there...well second problem...I only made 312 whp on a dyno dymanic dyno on 25psi tapering down to 23...tried to up the boost to 27 psi and only 3 hp.......the biggest problem...this was with a fp black turbo on 93 octane gas...

mod list are:
fp black
greddy intercooler
tbe
walbro fuel pump
licp
ebay ported o2 housing
act hdss clutch
880cc injectors
hks 264 cams
hallman in cabin mbc
intake and cone filter
evo 9 bov
ported exhaust manifold

I already know that I need more aggressive cams...thinking about kelford 272's...

but what else do ya think i need to do to get to 400...from what i am reading other fp black owners have no problem getting that...but for me...my car is stuck at 312 whp...because I thought that even with the 264 cams i would at least be at 350 whp...there isn't any boost leaks...boost holds no problem...just want to know what is holding the power back so much...but even with that number...I still love the fp black...sounds really nice...and i know there is ALOT more to it...just need some advice

Well update...

I haven't done a compression test yet but i did do a boost leak and timing check...well as for the timing the timing is fine and i will be doing a timing belt change soon since i am in the 60k's...as for the boost leak test the throttle shaft seal is leaking like a (*&^$...when I hooked it up it took less then a minute for it to leak out of the shaft seals...like I didn't even have one...so i ordered some mil spec shaft seals...so I will fix that and see how it goes...I already did some logs...and put it on the vdr...and i will do some before and after the leak have been seal...other then that everything is looking good...but I will do the compression test sometime this week...haven't been feeling so good lately...so that is what is going on right now...

Last edited by tigerkill2007; Mar 17, 2010 at 07:07 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 11:01 PM
Evolving Member

Sounds like bad tuning and boost leaks.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 11:13 PM

why would you like the fp black just cuz of the sound when it gives less than a STOCK turbo? everyone has more than that with less/equal mods witha stocker. something MUST be wrong.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 11:29 PM
Evolving Member

How does it feel? I ask because There USE to be a place down here and their dyno would act retarded all the time. 600whp GSX put down 212whp, then 2 days later a NA Honda put down in the 500's.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by VETTE_50_TH
Sounds like bad tuning and boost leaks.
the only boost leak i can think of could of been the tb seal...that is about it...and the tuning right now is really conservative...the car runs really smooth...
Old Mar 12, 2010, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by todaysivxx
why would you like the fp black just cuz of the sound when it gives less than a STOCK turbo? everyone has more than that with less/equal mods witha stocker. something MUST be wrong.
something is wrong...the stock turbo's power is no where near the fp black..that is why I am confuse...but like i said...i think it is the camshafts...
Old Mar 12, 2010, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by evo@24psi
How does it feel? I ask because There USE to be a place down here and their dyno would act retarded all the time. 600whp GSX put down 212whp, then 2 days later a NA Honda put down in the 500's.
The car feels really strong...i would do some pulls and logs and use the Virtual dyno...but I am having a little problem with my dumb laptop...
Old Mar 12, 2010, 12:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by tigerkill2007
The car feels really strong...i would do some pulls and logs and use the Virtual dyno...but I am having a little problem with my dumb laptop...
Hey Lang, hit me up on AIM. Ill help you trouble shoot it and check out your logs and ROM.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 06:57 AM
Evolving Member

Its not going to be cams doing that. There are people on here with stock cams putting down over 400whp.

Throttle Body Seal wouldnt do that either. I had the worse leak ever and my seal didnt get overnighted like it was suppose to and i still put down over 440whp on FP Green. Got back home and went to replace seal and there was almost nothing left to the one that was in there.

For those kinda numbers i almost wana ask if you forgot to put the UICP on the Throttle Body. Something is def not right. Goodluck on getitng it sorted out man. Keep us updated.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 07:04 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by todaysivxx
The Fp black will give you alot more power over the stock turbo. Must be something going on. Who tuned the car? Even with those cams should be making a lot more power.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 07:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
can you post a dyno?

i wonder if the clutch is having issues also...
Old Mar 12, 2010, 07:08 AM
Evolving Member

Wow that is some LOW HP for your FP Black. I'm running a FP Green on pump(93) making 400 whp. For sure it is not your cams.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

clogging cat or muffler is a possibility
Old Mar 12, 2010, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
I made more power on a stock turbo at less boost with stock injectors on 93. Something is VERY wrong.

Last edited by badev0; Mar 12, 2010 at 09:35 AM.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those numbers are reflecting either or a combination of: a bad tune/tuner, boost leaks galore

Quick Reply: Can't go pass 312 whp