Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

would a Blown Stock turbo cause stalling?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2010, 03:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
would a Blown Stock turbo cause stalling?

hey guys, i was having an issue with my evo that i just bought, i got the car with the problem and i decided to tear into it. the car starts up and idles perfect, i can 2 step it and rev it fine but then when i go to drive it for example feathering out the clutch to take off, the car will stall right out and you will hear a bit of compressor surge. when you go to start it again the the car smokes a big after a few revs and at idle and it smells like oil.

Last night i decided to rip everthing down to find out whats going on and the first thing i thought to check for was to see if the turbo was good. After i pulled off the intake i wiggled the wheel inside the turbo and was in shock. You can LITERALLY shake the wheel back and fourth freely like a bell. ALL BS aside, it really feels like you can just rip it out with pliers. This turbo is shot to hell obviously and was without a doubt the cause of the burning oil smell and smoke, but would this also cause the car to stall out under load like that?? please guys any info will be greatly appreciated!
Old Aug 29, 2010, 05:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First off hommie, do NOT drive this car with a blown turbo. Go to the used parts section and pick up an evo 9 turbo for like $400 shipped, if that. then do a boost leak test. Then get it tuned,... walla. And please, DO NOT drive this car with the blown turbo, esp dont do 2-step.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 06:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Haha I know man I would never try to drive it in this condition, this is just how I bought it and its undriveable. I just got another stock 8 turbo from my buddy so I'm gunna put it on and pray that it fixes it. Ill update this thread once I fire it up again, I just wanted to see what you guys had to say about this issue lol thanks for the advice tho man, its ggreatly appreciated!
Old Aug 29, 2010, 07:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You got it! And dont forget to do a boost check. hit everything that'll have boost running through it with soapy water, fill her up from the compressor inlet with 30psi, hold that for a second, and w/e is bubbleing, zip tie it or replace. (youll obviously need a device and air compressor.)

But for your origional question, yes it can cause the car to stall.