Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: What do you think of ROTA wheels?
They are great and good value for your hard earned dollar! Would rock them!
79.91%
They are bootlegs/knock offs with poor quality! Would not rock them!
20.09%
Voters: 438. You may not vote on this poll

ROTA wheels and your thoughts on them?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2011, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question ROTA wheels and your thoughts on them?

Hey Guys,

Since spring is slowly approaching and thoughts of spring/summer wheel and tire set ups come to mind to keep us warm at night, I've been looking at a few styles of rims. Obviously my favourite, along with many other Evo owners is the Advan RS GTR face. I know these rims are very pricey and from what I have heard they are super light as well. They seem like the clear cut choice, but I'm debating if I can justify the price as well as being paranoid of rock chips, potholes, thieves etc.

Now comes the ROTA Gforce, a clear carbon copy of the Advan RS GTR face. I've searched and saw many threads with guys running these and they praise them without any issues or problems. From what I have heard in the past, many people say ROTA's are cheap knock off rims, and you get what you pay for. If this is the case however, why are so many Evo and STI owners using them?

I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on ROTA rims (quality, build, looks) and even the Advan RS (over-rated, well priced, etc.).

Thanks

***UPDATE***

To update this thread, I ended up going with a set of VOLK CE28N Limited Edition in TI Gunmetal. The reason being I could not justify paying almost $3000 (yes we pay a lot more in Canada although our dollar is higher!), for a set of non forged Advan RS rims that were average weight. I thought long and hard and figured it was worth the money to invest in a good quality proven rim that was original in design and forged.

Although I don't have any real issues with Rotas other than the fact they are indeed knock offs of original designs companies work hard to create. I understand they are trying to appeal to a market, which can not justify paying the high price tag of an authentic rim, but want something that is reliable and quality.

The main reasons I ended up going with the VOLKS were the following, most of which were the best points I ran across in the thread.

1. The VOLKS are a true original design and weigh 16lbs a piece and are made of quality materials and are forged. Although I know rota makes a quality wheel now, there is no way their manufacturing process is as deep as the likes of VOLK which has been proven over time.

2. I waited like many people said in the thread. Finally found a good deal and went with it. Yes I still paid much more than a set of rotas, but it wasn't an insane amount more due to my patience.

3. The resale value of any wheel like VOLK, Advan, BBS, etc. is very high and you can easily sell your rims if you are looking for a change as people are always looking for the real deal wheels. Often people will ditch their rotas in a heart beat for well priced authentics.

4. Companies work hard to create original designs and the more we support replicas (no matter how good they are), we are hurting the manufacturers and eventually will drive them out of business. I work in the video game industry and I know when people bootleg and pirate games it hurts us and cuts into our salary and bonus money so I equated it to what rota is doing.

5. I have no problem with rota as mentioned previously and would probably buy a set for the winter, if I didn't have MR BBS rims already. I do believe they should come up with original designs however if they want to be taken seriously in a market of many other affordable wheels, which don't rip off designs like Enkei, SSR, 5zigen, etc.

Again this thread helped me with my opinion and making a decision on my set of wheels and I thank everyone who contributed!

Now it's time to get these bad boys on my EVO!

Last edited by reboundicon; Apr 9, 2011 at 02:05 AM.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea they are for the most part knock offs, but I believe they are establishing a name for themselves and have improved their overall quality over the years. I also like the fact there are options for us people who don't have money to afford a $3000 set of wheels and tires. Yes much respect to the guys dishing out the big bucks to rock official wheels, but I'm content rockin a clean set or rotas.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 06:19 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
If Rota wheels weighted less, I'd have them on my own car, if that's what "rock" means.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 06:21 PM

cant stand them!
Old Feb 1, 2011, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
If Rota wheels weighted less, I'd have them on my own car, if that's what "rock" means.
Yeah sorry about the slang, by "rock" I mean have them on your car and be proud of your wheels. I've heard the quality has gone up over the years, but I'm really wondering can they stand the beating of everyday driving and last a long time.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 06:33 PM
Evolving Member

There are many that run Rotas with success for both street and track. I personally have not owned a set and probably never will; but from what I've heard, they are not bad as haters make it seem.
If you are OK with the fact that they're replicas, I say go for it.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 06:40 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by reboundicon
Yeah sorry about the slang, by "rock" I mean have them on your car and be proud of your wheels. I've heard the quality has gone up over the years, but I'm really wondering can they stand the beating of everyday driving and last a long time.
I've been on this forum for 4+ years, pretty much daily. If you've seen my posts, quite a few of them live on the Tire/Wheel/Suspension forum. I've never seen a quality issue attributed solely to Rota wheels. There are essentially two kinds of folks on this forum: those who drive and those who park. The parking crew tends to dislike Rota wheels, because they're not original designs and does their best to amplify the notion. In that environment, parts' exclusivity, if you will, plays a major role. You just need to figure out what's important to you.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 06:48 PM

I know many people who use rota wheels, and none have had any issues. Some were raced, others just daily driven, all without problems. If you don't mind the occasional flaming and wana save some cash get them. It's your car anyway.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Any side-by-side comparo pics of the above mentioned Rotas and Avans?
Old Feb 1, 2011, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sparky
Any side-by-side comparo pics of the above mentioned Rotas and Avans?

Rota Gforce Gunmetal

Advan RS Gunmetal

The only difference is the Advan RS has the lettering and logo embossed in the wheel with a decal on the rim visually, as far as I can see.

Last edited by reboundicon; Feb 1, 2011 at 07:25 PM.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think they look exactly like the Advans. Similar, but I wouldn't say they're a copy.

If you like them, buy em'. Who gives a s**t what other people think. It's your car. You're paying for them.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 07:32 PM
Evolving Member

Ive had 2 sets of rotas, both daily driven, hit all kinda crap in the road and never had a wheel bend or crack. The wheels are fine, they are great and for the price you cant beat it. Most people that hate on rota's dont even daily drive thier car. If you can justify paying thousands of dollars for wheels that you will probably get bored of and want to change in a few years then go ahead and buy the originals. But no matter which wheels you have, if you run into a very bad obstacle in the road they will break!!! Ive seen my cousin's benz with HRE's hit a big pothole on the road and break, and thats a 3 piece forged wheel!!!!!!
Old Feb 1, 2011, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO8emUp
I don't think they look exactly like the Advans. Similar, but I wouldn't say they're a copy.

If you like them, buy em'. Who gives a s**t what other people think. It's your car. You're paying for them.
Not really concerned what others think, because it is my car in the end. My main concerns are if the quality is up to spec and if people who owned them had any issues with them at all. They typically cost 3X less than Advans, so I want to make sure they won't fall apart in a year.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 07:35 PM
Evolving Member

People who have the "real" rims are basically the only ones who are gonna for them being a rip off.

I love Rota. Im going to purchase a set or two whenever I can. Rota DPT and Gforce will make a good summer and winter set for less than a set of the "real" ones.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 07:40 PM
Evolving Member

Hope to buy 18x10 P45R2's

Quick Reply: ROTA wheels and your thoughts on them?