Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Brad Penn oil turned to Jello!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2011, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been runnig Amsoil for as long as I have owned the Evo and just finished running a track day running 500+ horse power without any problems. Was thinking of going to Brad Penn but since I leave my car for a month or more to go to work I think I will be sticking with Amsoil.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 12:26 PM
Evolving Member

good to know, see I like personal input not to much from the people who sell it. the normal people who run it in normal cars is best for the majority of us! No offense sponsors!
Old Mar 12, 2011, 02:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thats crazy. I wonder if you kept running it and blew the engine if they would've replaced it ? Probably NOT...lol
Amsoil !
Old Mar 12, 2011, 02:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We run Brad Penn in every car that comes in here. We have NEVER had one issue with it and we have broken several records while using it. Even Chris's Stock motor Evo went 9.76@150 MPH while using it. When his motor came apart it was very clean with no evidence of any failures on the way. Bearings looked damn near new and the motor had over 80k on it.

-Em
Old Mar 15, 2011, 09:28 PM
Evolved Member

I got a call today from Brad Penn after I sent an online contact submission on Friday explaining the issue with the gelling. Both Ken Tyger and Chuck Armstrong called me today to discuss over the phone. These guys are both the oil gurus for Brad Penn and I was pretty impressed they were both taking time out of their day to contact me. They basically told me that due to the time the car sat over the winter, fluctuating temps in the garage, and E85 fuel, they could see the oil doing this. They both suggested I should be running synthetic oil such as Mobil1 15w50 and stated Brad Penn 20w50 was not intended to be used with E85 fuel. Kuddos to Brad Penn for being totally honest.

I emailed Ken after we talked asking for the API ratings I should be using with E85 and he sent me this email-

The Brad Penn PG 1 20W-50 was formulated on the API SJ platform…although it is not a licensed SJ due to the enhanced AW package.

Modern oils meeting API SM or SN are designed to be run in conjunction with E85 fuel. However, 20W-50 is not a recognized ILSAC category oil (GF-4, GF-5). If it is your intention to run a 20W-50 viscosity, I would utilize a product such as Mobil 1 full synthetic meeting SJ and the desired viscosity.

Hope this helps,

Ken Tyger
Technical Services
American Refining Group, inc.
If anyone would like to contact them, I found their info in several links-
http://www.amref.com/CMSFiles/File/T...OL_SEPT_10.pdf
This link also discusses their 2 stroke oil and how its not compatible with E85 and I realize thats totally different oil.

Again, this is for 20w50 only. I'm not sure how the other BP weights and oils react to E85 over time.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 04:52 AM
Evolving Member

I will stay with bp since that is what my engine builder recommended
Been so far so good 10k miles
Old Mar 16, 2011, 05:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
I've been using Brad Penn in my car the past year, never had an issue.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 06:12 AM
Evolving Member

I never had a problem with brad penn oil .. I only used it to break in engine ... I use the valvoline VR1 , really great stuff , lot of high hp supras use it with no problems
Old Mar 16, 2011, 06:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Couple of things with this thread.

Firstly, it seems contradicting to tell someone the oil is not good to daily drive, and then say it's also not good to use this oil if you dont daily drive the car because this could happen also...not saying it's wrong, just saying yall are confusing the heck out of me.

Secondly, I heard tons of good results from brad penn oil from both ends of the spectrum. I have friends that run it on race applications with no problems at all. I ALSO have friends that run in on weekend and sometimes random weekday drives and racing and the car seems fine and so does the oil. ALL these cars were on e85

Also I dont know if you've all kept up with oil, but mobil1 would be about as close to suicide for your motor to daily drive as any other crappy oil...read up on that if you're seriously promoting that oil right now. I run an FP turbo and they suggest BP oil so I use that. Daily Driven, regular oil changes.

BTW , I do like Amsoil a lot...but BP seemed like an easier , well working solution, that didnt require constant online ordering and waiting for shipping...
Old Mar 16, 2011, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Arkitek

Also I dont know if you've all kept up with oil, but mobil1 would be about as close to suicide for your motor to daily drive as any other crappy oil...read up on that if you're seriously promoting that oil right now. I run an FP turbo and they suggest BP oil so I use that. Daily Driven, regular oil changes.
Yea BS tell that to the highest millage 4G63's on here. No promoting here I work for no oil company thank the lord.

Mobil 1 even the standard formulation will not harm your EVO's stock bottom end 4G63 engine ever. If you believe it will your a fool.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
We've been using Brad Penn oil for a LONG time. I've never seen what you had happen. We use it in every build we do, I use it in my diesel, I use it in my Mustang. I use E98 in my car and E85 in hundreds of others........
Old Mar 16, 2011, 07:27 AM
Evolving Member

I'm sticking with BP...been running it for 3 years...in Colorado...on e85...changed every 2000-2500 miles
Old Mar 16, 2011, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

First and foremost. I don't want this thread turned into an BP vs Mobil1 discussion. Just reporting the problem I had and what Brad Penn told me.

Second- Mobil1 15w50 is not the same as the other Mobil1 oils. Look at the VOA's on Mobil1 10w30 and compare it 15w50 and you'll see what I mean. I refuse to run any oil thats GF4 rated due to the lower zinc and phos. There's a reason why Forced Performance voids the warranty if you use Mobil1 10w30, 5w30, 10w40, with their Red turbos.
http://store.forcedperformance.net/m...otor%20Oil.pdf

Lastly, this is about Brad Penn 20w50 ONLY. I have no idea if the other BP oils react the same or not. If you use BP and don't have any issues, let us know what weight you're using so we can compare apples to apples.

Originally Posted by bjoseph04
Mobile 1.
Really? Thats your first post?

Originally Posted by Arkitek

Firstly, it seems contradicting to tell someone the oil is not good to daily drive, and then say it's also not good to use this oil if you dont daily drive the car because this could happen also...not saying it's wrong, just saying yall are confusing the heck out of me.

Secondly, I heard tons of good results from brad penn oil from both ends of the spectrum. I have friends that run it on race applications with no problems at all. I ALSO have friends that run in on weekend and sometimes random weekday drives and racing and the car seems fine and so does the oil. ALL these cars were on e85

BTW , I do like Amsoil a lot...but BP seemed like an easier , well working solution, that didnt require constant online ordering and waiting for shipping...
I've read and commented on the recent oil threads here. I'm just reporting my problem and what BP told me. I'm not promoting any oil. Amsoil is another good oil I would use.

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
We've been using Brad Penn oil for a LONG time. I've never seen what you had happen. We use it in every build we do, I use it in my diesel, I use it in my Mustang. I use E98 in my car and E85 in hundreds of others........
Thanks David. Good to hear and with all the engines you have seen torn apart you would know. What weight are you running in your cars? What weight do you suggest for your built Evo engines? I'm not saying BP is a bad oil but I don't care for the way it gelled by just sitting. I still have the oil in a container and may drain it into a pan with a video just to show this.

Originally Posted by BoostINurI
I'm sticking with BP...been running it for 3 years...in Colorado...on e85...changed every 2000-2500 miles
Good to hear. What weight were you using? Haven't seen you on coevo lately. Stop by.

Last edited by rodent; Mar 16, 2011 at 08:13 AM.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
20-50, all day, all year unless it's extremely cold then we recommend dropping to 10-40. I have 20-50 in my car and nothing else on E98.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
20-50, all day, all year unless it's extremely cold then we recommend dropping to 10-40. I have 20-50 in my car and nothing else on E98.
Good to hear. I appreciate your valuable input on this.

Off topic but you have me wanting to try E98 now... May start another thread about this.

Quick Reply: Brad Penn oil turned to Jello!