Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Any 9sec or 10sec sleepers?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2011, 09:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only right way to black out a intercooler is to get it anodized.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 09:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ct9asilver
The only right way to black out a intercooler is to get it anodized.
True story.

I'd look at getting one of BR's or MAP's intake manifolds. Look very stock with good gains. Ton of choices for stock frame turbos. Highly doubt they'd check for pump upgrades so double pumper of some sort. Grimmspeed for boost control.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 09:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnBradley
So I am not sure how it works with getting pulled over but they can make you pop the hood on a stop or stop you specifically for an underhood check?

A maxxed FP black on E85 like Mikey's looks pretty stock, has run 10s at 136 on street tires, Big Jesse's car ran a 10.6 at 142 on stockers but has a 35R under the hood, Turbojunkie (billy) runs hoosiers on stock wheels and ran a 10.7@128 the other night with an FPwhite.

How stock does it need to look, 100% or a little external stuff? How about the engine bay?

Is this enough to make them make you pop the hood?

aaron

^That isn't bad. They popped me for no front plate. Then they asked me to pop my hood. lol Here is my car. I think it's pretty subtle, but obvi too flashy for CA.
http://evoempire.org/topic/3465-shoo...6-and-my-9-rs/

I'm going back to a all stock exterior. A nice stockish looking Buschur ex.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 09:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by KentStateTsi
True story.

I'd look at getting one of BR's or MAP's intake manifolds. Look very stock with good gains. Ton of choices for stock frame turbos. Highly doubt they'd check for pump upgrades so double pumper of some sort. Grimmspeed for boost control.
Yeah i plan to go with the Buschur intake mani with wrinkle paint. I'm going double pumper with E85. Already got a Flex Fuel badge. lol Ricer power! jk
Old Apr 3, 2011, 10:59 PM
Evolving Member

FYI if you did research you could have just sent the court a trial by declaration, because the officers search was illegal, read this: http://www.patc.com/weeklyarticles/a...ch_final.shtml

And pay special attention to this: “Police may search a vehicle incident to a recent occupant’s arrest only if the arrestee is within reaching distance of the passenger compartment at the time of the search or it is reasonable to believe the vehicle contains evidence of the offense of arrest. When these justifications are absent, a search of an arrestee’s vehicle will be unreasonable unless police obtain a warrant or show that another exception to the warrant requirement applies.”

Then go here, http://www.socalevo.net/index.php?op...&topic=10663.0

You didn't or dont have to return your vehicle back to stock, because the hood pop was illegal. How do I know... because I have done it.

Last edited by ct9asilver; Apr 3, 2011 at 11:03 PM.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 11:14 PM
Former Sponsor

you only have to pop your hood if you are scared of telling a cop no. it is your right to refuse a search without a warrant. the only reason people get their hood popped is because they are intimidated by police. i have gotten pulled over with a stock exhaust i allowed them to pop my hood just for kicks since i had it sleepered out and wanted to test it. needless to say the cop wrote me a ticket even though he had no proof of anything was illegal haha. i challenged him since i was screwed already, and said my car was stock i bought it that way and he had no credentials to say my car was illegal. he simply responded your right i don't, that is what the state ref is for here is your ticket. it didnt exactly help my case to have sponsor decals on my car as well as my license plate being "ugtpwnd" haha moral of the story is it depends on who pulls you over. you can always refuse a search, and fight it in court. if a cop opens your hood on his own without your consent it is illegal search and seizure, and even if he finds a kilo of cocaine in your car you are fine since it was found during an illegal search. it just takes a lot of testicular fortitude to tell a cop to kick rocks lol
Old Apr 3, 2011, 11:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ct9asilver
FYI if you did research you could have just sent the court a trial by declaration, because the officers search was illegal, read this: http://www.patc.com/weeklyarticles/a...ch_final.shtml

And pay special attention to this: “Police may search a vehicle incident to a recent occupant’s arrest only if the arrestee is within reaching distance of the passenger compartment at the time of the search or it is reasonable to believe the vehicle contains evidence of the offense of arrest. When these justifications are absent, a search of an arrestee’s vehicle will be unreasonable unless police obtain a warrant or show that another exception to the warrant requirement applies.”

Then go here, http://www.socalevo.net/index.php?op...&topic=10663.0

You didn't or dont have to return your vehicle back to stock, because the hood pop was illegal. How do I know... because I have done it.

I did't research it, but it was a hwy patrol that happen to be on one of the main streets in my town that is considered a hwy. I'm not sure if that makes a difference?
Old Apr 3, 2011, 11:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FTY Motorsports
you only have to pop your hood if you are scared of telling a cop no. it is your right to refuse a search without a warrant. the only reason people get their hood popped is because they are intimidated by police. i have gotten pulled over with a stock exhaust i allowed them to pop my hood just for kicks since i had it sleepered out and wanted to test it. needless to say the cop wrote me a ticket even though he had no proof of anything was illegal haha. i challenged him since i was screwed already, and said my car was stock i bought it that way and he had no credentials to say my car was illegal. he simply responded your right i don't, that is what the state ref is for here is your ticket. it didnt exactly help my case to have sponsor decals on my car as well as my license plate being "ugtpwnd" haha moral of the story is it depends on who pulls you over. you can always refuse a search, and fight it in court. if a cop opens your hood on his own without your consent it is illegal search and seizure, and even if he finds a kilo of cocaine in your car you are fine since it was found during an illegal search. it just takes a lot of testicular fortitude to tell a cop to kick rocks lol
lol I told him everything was stock besides my big Ti exhaust and his words were " I'm going to need you to pop the hood." It wasn't really a question. lol
Old Apr 3, 2011, 11:21 PM
Evolving Member

It's easier to just comply and pop the hood and fight it, if the pop has nothing to do with the initial stop the ticket will get thrown out no matter what mods you have, if your stubborn and try to argue or keep them from checking your engine bay, then believe me that cop will remember you and your car. An exhaust does not warrant a hood pop, neither does an exhaust smell, sparks or fire from the engine compartment however does

I've beat both of my hood pop REF tickets, and by not arguing or refusing to pop my hood I was issued the ticket and was on my way in a timely manner knowing I would win and not have to return my vehicle back to stock
Old Apr 3, 2011, 11:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FTY Motorsports
If you have an aftermarket exhaust, that is probable cause to search under your hood. If you refuse to pop your hood, the tow truck will be on its way to impound your ****. Yeah, you can fight it... You still will have to have your car impounded upto 48 hrs and have to pay the fine to get it back. Then you have to fight it in court. It is just easier to let the cop look under your hood.

Best way to be a sleeper is to take everything off your car on the outside that may look aftermarket. Anything under the hood is Black or raw aluminum. RRE stealth or quiet and low profile for an exhaust. Even then, you will get harassed.

If a cop wants to give you a ticket, he will.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Buschur forward facing kit, precision 6262 e85

No wing, stock wheels, evo VII tail lights.

Last edited by binh; Apr 4, 2011 at 12:16 PM.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 12:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by binh

Buschur forward facing kit, precision 6262 e85

No wing, stock wheels, evo VII tail lights.
Nice. That's what i'm going for. The intercooler is the only noticeable part of the car.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

This is the way my car and engine bay looked when I was pulling consistent 10.3's on the FP Red. The car is full interior with indash navigation.

Old Apr 4, 2011, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
Damn intercooler.

Old Apr 4, 2011, 06:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RyuEvoIX
This is the way my car and engine bay looked when I was pulling consistent 10.3's on the FP Red. The car is full interior with indash navigation.
Looks great.

It's no wonder California is in so much debt. They waste so much money worrying about what mods people have done to their cars.

Quick Reply: Any 9sec or 10sec sleepers?