Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Selling S2K should I get EVO9 base or MR?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2011, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get a base, the 6 speed is annoying after a while imo
Old Apr 13, 2011, 12:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TyFoxx0608
Do the SE come with the Bilsten or the KYB? I found one all the way in PA im from MN, it has 17K for miles but they are asking 28k for the car. Complete stock but I think that is still a little much for that car.
When I found my evo at a dealership they were asking 26k and it had 40k no way I was paying that much. I got the dealership to lower it to $20,000 taxes and plates out the door and got them to give me free 10 detailing of the car inside and out. You can definately get a dealership to lower a price on a car. As long as they get their profit they won't say no to a sale.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 02:47 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Montu
^ I have a 9 and I know that on my first tune I may not have needed it but why advise a new comer not to get a 89 dollar item that almost everyone ends up needing?
Err...because there's no need to change parts that don't need changing. Then there's the noise, the questionable reliability of a non-factory part ... and to what end? If the OP needs a fuel pump, it's easy enough to install one. His car would have to be retuned, regardless. There's zero saving of any kind to had, but some drawbacks that don't necessarily have to exist. YMMV
Old Apr 13, 2011, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Didn't read every post so I'm sorry if some of this has been posted but.........

The MR has aluminum roof that is something I could live without so that dont matter to me.
Good its over rated unless you are racing IMO

Stock HID on the MR which for me is something I really like. I dont want to bother with a pnp kit.
GSR comes with HID's since most IX's had SSL I believe. Mostly the SE and the RS didn't

Bilsten shocks with lighter rims on the MR. The rims I can live without since mostly everyone get aftermarket lighten jdm wheels anyways. But with the shocks is it really that big a difference between the 2?
If you plan on swapping the suspension out and going with Coilovers and wheels like 90% of the Evo's here then those too items don't matter unless you want to sell them to recoup some money

Perrin full intake seems to do the best in the intake shootout but also read somewhere that some intakes have problems with idling. Will the Perrin intake do this.
Never heard of the idling issue with aftermarket Intakes but I had a Perrin and it was fine....

Test pipe is a must. But it will most likely throw a cel, so do you guys do a defouler trick or is there a way to not go that route.
Stock ECU with TephraMods and you can do almost anything a AEM can do. Including removing the rear O2 sub-routine. You'll pass emissions all day

manual boost control and boost gauge: would I need these if I dont plan on changing the boost? if I should change the boost can i get a reason why?
LOL you'll change the boost Stock block and turbo are good for 24-25ish PSI on pump gas.....up to 28 PSI on E85

Is the Walboro full pump needed if Im just doing these breather mods?
Should be the first mod you do. Its only 100 bux and you'll need it if you plan on making the car faster then stock....period.

Would I need a turbo timer for the stock turbo? I never owned a turboed car before.
No need but it wouldn't hurt and if you like having blinking things that light up it adds to it. LOL.

Lower intercooler piping seems to have gains, I dont know any so what is a good one without costing an arm and leg?
Honestly its a waste fo time without upgrading the OEM IC. I think Injen is one of the cheapest. Checked the used section

BOV? I heard it was a big no but the ricer inside me loves the sound.
I LOV BOV but its not the BOV thats a no no its the VTA (Vent to the Air) that s a no no. Since Evo's are MAF equipped if that air gets vented the ECU over compensates and tends to run the car rich, you'll have stalling issues, esp with Ac turned on. You get it "tuned out" but its not worth it. Get a APS twin....sounds like it VTA's and it also recirculates. There are ways around it (Go speed density like a Honda)

I know this is a lot of questions but I normally do a lot of research before I buy a car. I owned hondas all my life 3 civic, integra gsr, acura rsx s, and S2000. And frankly I have to sell the S2k cause its just not practical, and I really dont want to go back to WRONG WHEEL DRIVE. I took into consideration of an STI but after seeing thread of STI to EVO I dont want to learn I made a mistake a lot later down the road.
All the info you need is on this site. Just search. I came from Honda's and the single most impressive thing that I take for granted is the stock ECU and how with the help of Tephra and others they have made it basically a standalone.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 04:53 PM
Evolving Member

The above poster said SE didn't come with Hid . He's wrong. SE did come with hid. And most gsr models were not ssl packages. I've seen ton more non ssl gsr than ssl gsr models. I'm sure most ppl have also seen more non ssl gsr than ssl gsr.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 04:59 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by shifthard
The above poster said SE didn't come with Hid . He's wrong. SE did come with hid. And most gsr models were not ssl packages. I've seen ton more non ssl gsr than ssl gsr models. I'm sure most ppl have also seen more non ssl gsr than ssl gsr.
Yea, this thread is a cornucopia of misinformation.

The SSL is the second least common IX after the RS; the SEs came with HIDs and on and on....
Old Apr 13, 2011, 05:06 PM
Evolving Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by FJF

The SSL is the second least common IX after the RS; the SEs came with HIDs and on and on....
Lol I know I read tons of people giving wrong information everywhere on this forum.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

I have an MR, and if I can do it all over I'd rather have a 5spd. My trans is so notchy and the car has never been launched.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 09:16 PM
Evolved Member

honestly power is the same, just depends if you want a 5 speed or 6 speed and you wanna pay more for it. the only actual MR worth purchasing considering it was LIMITED, would be the 8MR. very few were made. you go and check nowadays you can barely find an evo 8 MR. evo 9 MRs are very much abundant, the mission with EVERY evo is finding one that hasnt been abused to badly. good luck
Old Apr 14, 2011, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

My bad. Every SE I found when I was looking for an Evo 2 years ago had no HID's. Every GSR I've seen has had the SSL package with HID's. I based it on my personal experience. I stand by everything else i said though. LOL

Thanks for correcting me guys.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 09:32 AM
Evolving Member

Im in the same boat as you! Im trying to decide between the Evo IX SE or the Evo 9 MR SE.... the only thing that had me wanting the MR SE are the Blisten shocks..... but other than that the IX SE has all the other goodies the MR SE has minus that 6 speed.. right now im swaying towards the IX SE...if only i could fing a GG version with low to mild miles. Good luck on your search bro! Hope you get an Evo you will be high satified with!
Old Apr 14, 2011, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I really like the MR, sunroofs tend to leak, not exactly Honda quality there. The Bilsteins are really good. I love my 6-speed, it should hold fine if you don’t beat the **** out of it.

Originally Posted by grim~
The mr 6 speed is alot weaker than the gsr 5 speed.
I would disagree to a point. The 5 speed is certainly better then the 6 speed for drag racing. If you do a lot of road racing you could overheat the 6 speed and of course the thinner 4th gear. Now with the Shep rebuild kits the 6-speed is the way to go. I have almost 100K on my 6 speed and it shifts better then new with the bushings and engine roll stopper. You bash the 6 speed it’l break but if you don’t smash it, it is fine.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 10:29 AM
Evolving Member

MR is overated IMO..

but all this 6 speed bashing is not always the truth
all up to how you drive your car and how often you change the fluids..
Old Apr 14, 2011, 11:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by donmeca2020
honestly power is the same, just depends if you want a 5 speed or 6 speed and you wanna pay more for it. the only actual MR worth purchasing considering it was LIMITED, would be the 8MR. very few were made. you go and check nowadays you can barely find an evo 8 MR. evo 9 MRs are very much abundant, the mission with EVERY evo is finding one that hasnt been abused to badly. good luck
You said it all bro! I really agree with the only evo mr worth buying is the 8's version. I really would like to find one for myself!
Old Apr 14, 2011, 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
you can say that again haha!

Quick Reply: Selling S2K should I get EVO9 base or MR?