Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Selling S2K should I get EVO9 base or MR?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2011, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Selling S2K should I get EVO9 base or MR?

I searched and looked around. So far my final decision was not to go with the evo X since I really dont like the look and the MR tranny maxing out with pretty low hp(compared to other high powered evos).

I searched and the only thing so far that I can think of the difference is

Tranny base 5speed > MR 6speed.

I am not planning on going all out with high hp numbers for a long time but do plan on doing bolt ons. So I'm assuming with just bolt ons the tranny on the MR should hold up? From what I read 450hp is the breaking point on the MR tranny before you have to strengthen it. I really like having a 6 speed over the 5, I dont know why though maybe coming from a rsx to s2k it is just something i prefer.

The MR has aluminum roof that is something I could live without so that dont matter to me.

Stock HID on the MR which for me is something I really like. I dont want to bother with a pnp kit.

Bilsten shocks with lighter rims on the MR. The rims I can live without since mostly everyone get aftermarket lighten jdm wheels anyways. But with the shocks is it really that big a difference between the 2?

Thats all I can think of for difference so if there is anything out there that you veterans know that can help me make the decision that would be great.

Also I know I'm jumping ahead a bit but I normally dont leave my cars stock for too long. After reading as much stickies as I can this is what I came up so far as good bolt ons.

Perrin full intake seems to do the best in the intake shootout but also read somewhere that some intakes have problems with idling. Will the Perrin intake do this.

I tried to find their exhaust but for some reason I cant find it on their website

Test pipe is a must. But it will most likely throw a cel, so do you guys do a defouler trick or is there a way to not go that route.

manual boost control and boost gauge: would I need these if I dont plan on changing the boost? if I should change the boost can i get a reason why?

Is the Walboro full pump needed if Im just doing these breather mods?

Also would I need to buy a AEM EMS for tuning? if not that brand please recommend a good brand.

Would I need a turbo timer for the stock turbo? I never owned a turboed car before.

Lower intercooler piping seems to have gains, I dont know any so what is a good one without costing an arm and leg?

BOV? I heard it was a big no but the ricer inside me loves the sound.

I know this is a lot of questions but I normally do a lot of research before I buy a car. I owned hondas all my life 3 civic, integra gsr, acura rsx s, and S2000. And frankly I have to sell the S2k cause its just not practical, and I really dont want to go back to WRONG WHEEL DRIVE. I took into consideration of an STI but after seeing thread of STI to EVO I dont want to learn I made a mistake a lot later down the road.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 10:21 PM
Evolving Member

EVO 9 RS or GSR
and Fuel pump is a very 1st mod u shuld get for ur evo
No u dont need aem ems...there 9s evo with stock ecu
manual boost controller...... more boost = more power
Licp good power mod and also affordable...u can get used one on forum for really good deal
test pipe...Yes there is a way to get rid of CEL which i did 2 years ago and CEL never come back on

Last edited by Evoleader88; Apr 12, 2011 at 10:43 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 10:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
do you plan on drag racing or auto x?
Old Apr 12, 2011, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Evoleader88
EVO 9 RS or GSR
and Fuel pump is a very 1st mod u shuld get for ur evo
No u dont need aem ems...there 9s evo with stock ecu
manual boost controller...... more boost = more power
Licp good power mod and also affordable...u can get used one on forum for really good deal
test pipe...Yes there is a way to get rid of CEL which i did 2 years ago and CEL never come back on
Ok perfect but is there a way without using the spark plug defouler such as turning off the cel light oe even the rear 02 sensor?

Originally Posted by Spoolin4g63
do you plan on drag racing or auto x?
I want a balanced car. One that will do well at a circuit track but also have good power in the straights. I am addicted to performance driving but sometimes have the urge to drag. My main goal is somewhere between high 300s to mid 450 for the time being so would having that range or power work for both? with the stock turbo it should spool pretty quick for track driving I hope.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 10:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TyFoxx0608
Ok perfect but is there a way without using the spark plug defouler such as turning off the cel light oe even the rear 02 sensor?

I want a balanced car. One that will do well at a circuit track but also have good power in the straights. I am addicted to performance driving but sometimes have the urge to drag. My main goal is somewhere between high 300s to mid 450 for the time being so would having that range or power work for both? with the stock turbo it should spool pretty quick for track driving I hope.

evo9 turbo>evo8 turbo and evo 9 turbo max ull see 400hp out of it, but ull have to do **** load of mods: bolt-on, cams, 1000cc+ injectors, fuelpump, ported intake mani, ported exhuast mani e85 to see 400hp on stock turbo....but 400whp on an evo= mid 11s car
Old Apr 12, 2011, 10:54 PM
Evolving Member

[quote=TyFoxx0608;9237453]Ok perfect but is there a way without using the spark plug defouler such as turning off the cel light oe even the rear 02 sensor?

u have to use the defouler with stock ecu

Last edited by Evoleader88; Apr 12, 2011 at 11:00 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 11:00 PM

evo9 turbo>evo8 turbo and evo 9 turbo max ull see 400hp out of it, but ull have to do **** load of mods: bolt-on, cams, 1000cc+ injectors, fuelpump, ported intake mani, ported exhuast mani e85 to see 400hp on stock turbo....but 400whp on an evo= mid 11s car

Ok yeah I dont expect to hit that much then with the stock turbo. I need more seat time first before trying to put that much mods on the car. Thanks for clearing up number for me.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 11:02 PM
Evolving Member

Get the mr I regret getting the base
Old Apr 12, 2011, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Lowso
Get the mr I regret getting the base
can you please tell me what your reason for regretting? I am torn between the 2, the money is not the problem I just dont want to buy something i regret.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 11:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The mr 6 speed is alot weaker than the gsr 5 speed.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 11:21 PM
Evolving Member

I was in the same boat as you. I sold the s2 and held on to the money and waited months to find the perfect evo. After 3 months of searching I found a evo 9 SE. I wanted the 5 speed just in case I wanted higher HP. The SE came with hid, and fog lights which base gsr won't have. Also it came with bbs wheels and red stitched recaros. I don't mind going from 6 speed to 5 speed at all. Either way the evo trans will never be as good as the s2000 trans . But you'll get over it quickly once you get the evo. It's a totally different car. I say go for the 5 speed.just my opinion.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by shifthard
I was in the same boat as you. I sold the s2 and held on to the money and waited months to find the perfect evo. After 3 months of searching I found a evo 9 SE. I wanted the 5 speed just in case I wanted higher HP. The SE came with hid, and fog lights which base gsr won't have. Also it came with bbs wheels and red stitched recaros. I don't mind going from 6 speed to 5 speed at all. Either way the evo trans will never be as good as the s2000 trans . But you'll get over it quickly once you get the evo. It's a totally different car. I say go for the 5 speed.just my opinion.
Wow ok I wasnt aware there was a SE model. Another quick question do all the models come with the humungadunga rear spoiler? SE looks really tempting if it comes with all those options.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 11:30 PM
Evolving Member

for personal reference RS is best version...cus its lighter then others
Old Apr 12, 2011, 11:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TyFoxx0608
Wow ok I wasnt aware there was a SE model. Another quick question do all the models come with the humungadunga rear spoiler? SE looks really tempting if it comes with all those options.
I know the 8's had a option for a smaller spoiler like a lancer spoiler. I'm not sure if that was an option for the 9. It was like 1/4 the size of the big wing lol. But I thought that small wing killed the look of the evo. Yea they made SE models. Also it came with a different lip as the other evo 9 models.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 11:31 PM

for personal reference RS is best version...cus its lighter then others
Please correct me if I'm wrong but doesnt the RS model a stripped model. I mean what is taken out that the base (gsr) has?

Quick Reply: Selling S2K should I get EVO9 base or MR?