Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Selling S2K should I get EVO9 base or MR?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2011, 10:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea dealerships will never give full value for a trade in. Just try to sell it privately and just keep looking for a nice.buy evo.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 11:35 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 814 Likes on 678 Posts
DEalerships have to expect to get the low value when they resell your car. Also, they make 99% of their profit from used car sales. So, they have to figure the low value of your car, minus the profit they want to make, then subtract the amount figured to have the car ready to sell.
That's why trade-in values are so low.

Sucks, buy its the price we pay for convenience.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 01:52 PM

ok finally sold my car to a private seller. He is taking delivery this weekend.

I found a white MR with 34k miles and even though I want stock I dont want to go far unless I have to. Here are the mods

FEW ADDONS: 5% LIMO TINTS ALL AROUND, REAR LIGHTS ARE TINTED AS WELL, JDM REAR BUMPER, VOLTEX REAR DIFFUSER, HKS FULL TITANIUM TURBO BACK, GREDDY BOV, APEXI AVCR II ELECTRONIC BOOST CONTROLLER, INJEN UPPER AND LOWER INTERCOOLER PIPES, INJEN INTAKE, AEM BOOST GAUGE, AEM AIR/FUEL GAUGE, TEIN SPRINGS, WALBARO FUEL PUMP

Ok my concern is the HKS turbo back. So that means it takes place of the cat right. Also is it loud? if so I might want to sell it for a tanabe touring since those are rated at 97db.

Greddy BOV? I thought evos cant have bov but diverter valves.

Also with the boost controller, will I be able to turn up or down the boost? or should I get it tuned first? Say if I'm just driving around town and want to save gas and turn the boost down to like 9psi or when I want to power turn it up back to 18(stock?) or more.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 01:57 PM
Evolving Member

^ the Turbo back is a full exhaust, most people remove the cat but some put a high flow cat and call it a turbo back...you will want to ask the seller if the cat has been removed (probably) or replaced with another cat

that exhaust will be loud as all titanium exhaust are

our car's don't really need a Bov's for the most part...especially vented to atmosphere you can most likely buy a stock one and sell that ricer piece.

that boost controller should allow your tuner to adjust the boost
Old Apr 20, 2011, 02:07 PM
Evolving Member

Id keep the boost below 20. Its not going to run any better turned up without a tune. Get a tune and you'll be right as the mail.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 02:54 PM
Evolving Member

Go for the MR, if you're not going to drag race you'll love the six speed.
Don't get a perrin, it will give you the most gains, but they're a ***** to tune, just get the injen kit.
Definitely get a Walbro.
Get boost control.
Get a full Exhaust, with a test pipe.
Don't get an AEM EMS the stock ECU is good enough
Don't get a BOV
GET A TUNE
the suspension on the MR is nice too.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 04:55 PM
kaj

TRue. The stock Bilsteins on the MR are awesome.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 05:53 AM
Evolving Member

I recently installed some robispec springs and it makes a world of difference. Car has pretty much no roll. I will eventually get a rear sway bar and be done as far as suspension. roughly 350 dollars for a more than capable suspension that is truly daily driver friendly.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 06:49 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TyFoxx0608
ok finally sold my car to a private seller. He is taking delivery this weekend.

I found a white MR with 34k miles and even though I want stock I dont want to go far unless I have to. Here are the mods

FEW ADDONS: 5% LIMO TINTS ALL AROUND, REAR LIGHTS ARE TINTED AS WELL, JDM REAR BUMPER, VOLTEX REAR DIFFUSER, HKS FULL TITANIUM TURBO BACK, GREDDY BOV, APEXI AVCR II ELECTRONIC BOOST CONTROLLER, INJEN UPPER AND LOWER INTERCOOLER PIPES, INJEN INTAKE, AEM BOOST GAUGE, AEM AIR/FUEL GAUGE, TEIN SPRINGS, WALBARO FUEL PUMP

Ok my concern is the HKS turbo back. So that means it takes place of the cat right. Also is it loud? if so I might want to sell it for a tanabe touring since those are rated at 97db.

Greddy BOV? I thought evos cant have bov but diverter valves.

Also with the boost controller, will I be able to turn up or down the boost? or should I get it tuned first? Say if I'm just driving around town and want to save gas and turn the boost down to like 9psi or when I want to power turn it up back to 18(stock?) or more.
5% Tints? Is that legal in minessota??? Do you know anyone that is a mechanic to have it checked? The only mod i don't like on that evo is the bov.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 08:16 AM

Well the guy wouldnt budge from 26k. I cant seem to find a MR in MN or anywhere close in white red or blue. I am working with a dealership in California and from the looks of it its mostly stock. I see some gauges in there thats about it but I'm sure if there were gauges there had to been mods that maybe were taken off. But it only has 35k for miles. I thought finding a white s2000 with black interior was hard man finding a stock EVO with lower mileage and the color I want is even harder.

Last edited by TyFoxx0608; Apr 22, 2011 at 08:20 AM.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

- He wants 26k for that car? Thats a joke, too much money.

I think you will really enjoy the evo, S2k is a amazingly fun car to drive, evo is entirely a different beast but in a good way. Heres a few thoughts on that mod list to take into consideration if your really thinking about spending that much money.

- Its called tint not tints, and 5% you wont be able to see out of your windows at night period.
- Rear tail lights that are tinted are illegal in some states so make sure you check into that
- I could be wrong, but I do not know if HKS makes a full Ti Exhaust, they do have the Ti muffler with a steel exhaust, but try to get the name.
- Greddy BOV is not a great BOV (most arent for these cars)
- Injen piping is mediocore at best
- Tein springs suck, no discussion needed there (I have them, for now...)

All of this stuff is not a huge deal if your going to DD the car and arent going for JDM baller status or Huge HP numbers, but for that much money I would think the quality of parts would be higher.

GL on your search, I am sure you will find a good evo and when you do you'll love her.

Cheers
Old Apr 22, 2011, 11:34 AM

mr
Old Apr 23, 2011, 06:49 AM

the one from California is stock. Those gauges are mitsubishi gauges I feel more like a noob everyday I looked up on evos.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 08:30 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TyFoxx0608
the one from California is stock. Those gauges are mitsubishi gauges I feel more like a noob everyday I looked up on evos.
Hopefully you plan on flying out and check it out in person. I also contemplated buying the car out of state, but just not ideal logistically...there is always the chance that the seller isn't telling you something wrong about the car, then you come to find out when you actually get there.

Good luck with your search, it took me a while until I found mine. I was also in dilemma between MR and SE, and I got the SE at the end and I'm happy with it.

Eric
Old Apr 23, 2011, 01:14 PM
kaj

never buy a car without seeing it.

i bought a car from out of state. the seller sent me pictures of another car, gave me false info, etc. i paid $8,000 for a $2,000 car.

i am currently filing a lawsuit. do NOT buy a car sight unseen. at LEAST have someone check the car out for you. i'm in Fresno CA. if the car is close to me, i'll check it out for ya. don't worry, i won't snake the deal from ya: i'm broke. LOL

Quick Reply: Selling S2K should I get EVO9 base or MR?