Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Need advise on launch start problem for E9..

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2011, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advise on launch start problem for E9..

Hi guys,

I'm newbie in this forum and I've been thinking quiet sometimes to post this weird issue bcoz really don't know how to put in words. I have dilemma with my E9 where i can't "launch start" due to unknown reason. If i rev the car at certain rpm (not even reach rpm cut off) for launch start it will suddenly bounce back d power. Furthermore it will take quiet sometimes to get back the power. Need to drive a few minutes then it'll become normal. But if i suddenly rev under running condition even with the 1st gear then no problem it can go like normal.

Hope you guys can understand the story and share your experience what could be the reason behind. Some people say it is due to launch control but not sure whether E9 is equipped with launch control and what it is all about. Btw I just replaced my clutch few months back and did ecu reflash. Thanks in advance!!
Old May 3, 2011, 09:41 PM
Evolved Member

Are you talking about the factory "launch control?" I think all the Evo 9's come with the launch control from factory.
Old May 3, 2011, 09:46 PM

Yess. But how that launch control can affect the launch start? Not sure that could be the reason or could be something else.. Tq anw..
Old May 3, 2011, 11:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What u are experiencing is called limp mode. In order to use the 2 step launch the car needs to be sitting still and not moving. With the car in first clutch in rev and it should hit 5500 and bounce for the two step unless it has been changed. If the car is moving or u are in any other gear it will free rev to the limiter and bounce and then the ecu will go into limp mode to protect u from damaging the motor. Its there to keep u from blowing your motor sky high.
Old May 4, 2011, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by awdordie
What u are experiencing is called limp mode. In order to use the 2 step launch the car needs to be sitting still and not moving. With the car in first clutch in rev and it should hit 5500 and bounce for the two step unless it has been changed. If the car is moving or u are in any other gear it will free rev to the limiter and bounce and then the ecu will go into limp mode to protect u from damaging the motor. Its there to keep u from blowing your motor sky high.
Thanks for d reply. Mind to seek clarification. Do you mean that I can't rev more than 5500 or it has to be right at 5500. I've tried at lower rpm about 3500 but still sound like "boost release" few times before the car start moving but with no power at all.
Old May 4, 2011, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With the car at a stop and it in first gear and the clutch in u should be able to rev the car and hit 2 step at 5500 unless it was changed due to your reflash. When u hit two step it should sound like this.

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...?v=Tyhiao748O8
Old May 5, 2011, 01:54 AM

Thanks for your help bro. Anyway, are u sure about the link? I clicked but it's about different story..
Old May 5, 2011, 08:00 AM

I would check your reflash, sounds like 2 step was turned off. If you are standing still rev'n it should not rev past 5500 and it will bounce there. If it is turned off you will be able to rev all the way out.

Just plug in and check to see that it is still on.
Old May 6, 2011, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by c_sautter
Huh, so it is. Here's another link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg9b0vUdjRU

Hope it helps.
Yes it's exactly d same. Thanks for your help.
Old May 6, 2011, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by RevRevGone
I would check your reflash, sounds like 2 step was turned off. If you are standing still rev'n it should not rev past 5500 and it will bounce there. If it is turned off you will be able to rev all the way out.

Just plug in and check to see that it is still on.
Yes maybe you are right. I'll bring my car to the tuner and at least can suggest him direct to the point. Thanks RRG!!
Old May 6, 2011, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by TomicaGTR
Yes maybe you are right. I'll bring my car to the tuner and at least can suggest him direct to the point. Thanks RRG!!
no problem bro... lepas ni bwk mahazir sekali pg tuning.. nak g sunway jgn lupa roger aku.. hahahaha
Old Sep 5, 2013, 11:24 PM

some more keta power woo..