Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Bad news for E85 users

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2011, 08:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wjamyers
Since you use petroleum products to fertilize, grow and ship the corn/ethanol?

It's not like it just magically appears from the ground cost-free.

from a nice lefty/greenie source:
http://www.commondreams.org/view/2011/04/16-0

come on guys, even Al Gore jumped off of this ridiculous bandwagon.

You state your opinions without remembering Oil has far more of a journey. Oil from the Middle East in the form of Crude is in transit for thousands of miles, that's just in the raw form. Once it hits our Coast, it's shipped to our refineries and so on...

Rather then finding the first thing Google produces for you, study the subject. Keep in mind I'm not a fan of using Corn for Ethanol although the link listed doesn't take into account in regards to Co2/Carbon Dioxide comment that plants also consume Carbon Dioxide. Water Efficiency has been improved in many facilities by 40%. I cannot vouch for others states although our Ethanol at the pumps in Springfield, Mo is produced in Missouri therefore transit is dramatically reduced. In return obviously of traveling a dramatically shorter distance, Oil consumption is again greatly reduced.

Ethanol will not work unless it's it's grown, refined and distributed strategically. It makes zero sense to ship the fuel from our Midwest area to our Coast lines and so on.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 08:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AndyCT9A
Just curious, what are paying for fuel in the states?

I'm paying 2.22 NZ$ per litre for 98 RON which comes to around 6.73 US$ per gallon. Our E85 is 2.31 NZ$ per litre which is about 6.98 US$ per gallon. Keeping in mind we don't get subsidies and some (possibly most) of our ethanol is sourced from milk.
In Kentucky here stateside gas is around $3.80 a gallon and E85 is $3.15 last tiem I filled up. When gas prices spike the E85 has stayed near the same price.

It doesn't matter to me if Ethanol is the same price as gas or even slightly more, Id still buy it just because of its benefits both for my engine and for the fact that its renewable..
Old Jun 18, 2011, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
I'd run E85 if it was as expensive as 93 (It will be if they get rid of the subsidy).
Nope, CBOT ethanol is trading at a nice discount to RBOB gasoline. The current credit is nothing but icing on the cake for the blenders.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 04:58 PM

Well there go my plans on the e85 conversion...if this passes of course.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
Oil companies demand you bow down and suckle the oil bearing nipple. There is no escape....hahaha....E-85 rocks, that is all.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kracka
Exactly, the credits are going to the oil companies, not the ethanol producers and farmers.

Read the rest of what you quoted, I explained how animal feedyards are benefited from ethanol production, not harmed. I.E. cheaper animal feed.

*for those who care, I'm employed in grain acquisition, risk management, and train logistics for three ethanol plants*
we have tons of subsidies for corn farmers, mostly gigantic multinationals.

so according to someone who works in the industry there is a marginal cost-benefit within the supply train. My question then becomes is that benefit sufficient to offset the increased use of land, the constantly increasing cost of corn, the current supply shortages of corn, the probable increased total output in CO2, the distorted markets and politicized misallocation of valuable resources?

I seriously doubt it.

Last edited by wjamyers; Jun 19, 2011 at 12:18 PM.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 04:22 AM

hopefully this doesnt happen, i opened up my friends car this weekend and the e85 seriously ran cleaner than any fuel i have ever seen. good stuff
Old Jun 20, 2011, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the clarification Kracka......I think my biggest question is when the other forms of ethanol production become more available.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 10:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by localtoys73
All this bad news... they just put a new e85 pump 10 miles from my house.

I have an e85 pump within walking distance =(
Old Jun 20, 2011, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by taylorgang
I have an e85 pump within walking distance =(
I wish there was one that close to me. Its a 80+ mile round trip here to get some
Old Jun 20, 2011, 10:50 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 738 Likes on 571 Posts
So many people dont seem to understand that Ethanol from corn is a first step. Look into all the other processes being developed now that has yields/acre orders of magnitude greater than corn, and in the case of algae its grown in locations not suitable for any consumable growth.

The research into greater yields would never have come if they couldnt prove using ethanol could be viable and will eventually move towards newer processes, but dont kill a truely possible solution to fossil fuel over consumption just because you cant see beyond right now.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

Still cheaper then premium or racegas, even though it burns quicker I'm still gunna use it.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by wjamyers
so according to someone who works in the industry
I am in the industry
Old Jun 20, 2011, 11:09 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ian0611
This ^ Yeah, not usually a good idea to use up all of the stuff that you can't make more of.
ding ding ding make more e85 could give the United States more jobs. and there is less shipping from nebraska than from the middle east. the left over corn is usually used as food source. dont see a downside really. and for using up our food supply i dont see to many skinny Americans (so they aint eating corn more like chicken cooked in corn oil then you can use that oil to fuel your 4g63)
Old Jun 20, 2011, 11:37 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've been screaming sugar beats for years.