Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Bad news for E85 users

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2011, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
This is all i remember about sugar beats lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuZNSGdg2ms
Old Jun 20, 2011, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old Jun 20, 2011, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
So many people dont seem to understand that Ethanol from corn is a first step. Look into all the other processes being developed now that has yields/acre orders of magnitude greater than corn, and in the case of algae its grown in locations not suitable for any consumable growth.

The research into greater yields would never have come if they couldnt prove using ethanol could be viable and will eventually move towards newer processes, but dont kill a truely possible solution to fossil fuel over consumption just because you cant see beyond right now.
+1

Another advantage to E-goodness is that is can be distributed via our current infrastructure if I'm not mistaken.... (could be wrong, might need special tanks, pumps, and lines, but i don't know so... perhaps someone that does know can chime in. I saw teh part about funding to install new E85 pumps, but isn't that to allow stations to ADD a new pump rather than re purpose another petrol pump??)

I used to work for a natural gas company here in Ga that was pushing CNG real hard.. problem was only 10 bp stations in the state were willing to put in the required dispensary equipment..... Well, that and the fact that natural gas is no renewable too......

Ease of adoption is just as important as the viability of the fuel source itself.

Last edited by Mad_SB; Jun 20, 2011 at 12:46 PM.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 01:37 PM
Evolving Member

Sugar derived ethananol= first generation and does compete with food suply

cellulosic ethanol = second generation

First gen ethanol fills the petroleum gap, builds supporting infastructure.

Second gen relies on microbes and proccessing techniques that can eat the fibre (cellulose) in almost all organic materials (think grass clippings etc.). There are currently about a dozen companies building pilot processing plants as we type.

Fuel is only one app, the plastics industry is all over bio polymers for obvious reasons.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 03:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jscocchio
i think people often forget one of the other larger components to fuel price and corn price (other than taxes, subsidies, etc)... The las vegas style gambling on prices that happens in the commodities market...

It is amazing, when commodities like fuel were only allowed to have a very small percentage of their market sales be based on speculation (and not actual demand), we never saw such huge price swings (usually in the upward direction). Thanks to the all the scum bags on the exchange and in dc, it is a free-for-all, and the public is always the one who catches the tab.

I miss supply-and-demand style economics...
+1
Old Jun 20, 2011, 04:52 PM
Evolving Member

America doesn't need to eat more corn; it is already fat enough.

Use the corn to feed my EVO and start feeding americans complex carbs instead.

Stop feeding the animals corn; they're not supposed to eat corn. Cows eat grass. Cutting corners is a nono, America. Maybe if america wasn't a cheating sl*t we wouldnt have this problem in the first place.

We don't need to cook using corn oil either, use olive oil.

Basically if a majority of Americans weren't such fatasses our e85 would be cheaper and our evos would be faster but since most americans are fat and most americans drive big v8's it just goes around in a vicious corn ignoring cycle

Note : This does not reflect my or my evo's beliefs. It is simply a stated fact.

Last edited by taylorgang; Jun 20, 2011 at 04:55 PM.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 01:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I DD my evo on E85,,,Ive seen a huge spike in pricing just this year....To the tune of 70-90 cents..Its still cheaper than 93 which you have to run already...Or premium state dependent on octane...Ill continue to use it until i cant get it anymore....All these people in here complaining about it...Just keep sending your money overseas to the desert...They love your money,and they'll keep raising prices as long as they see there is demand...Id rather put my money in the hands of the farmers,and people that are trying to change the fuel game....Better for your car,and the environment.....
Old Jun 21, 2011, 07:02 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryan.Kauz

Assuming this passes. And even if it doesnt, this sets a president that America no longer has the stomache for subsidizing fuel sales.
i think the US govt should be putting significant money into novel ethanol production methods. (it already is putting in some money, but more would be better). until battery technology is mature enough for normal size cars and pickup trucks and the US population is ready to accept nuclear power (or we have a solar technology breakthrough), ethanol is our best option for relieving our oil dependence.

Last edited by mrfred; Jun 21, 2011 at 07:11 AM.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by taylorgang
America doesn't need to eat more corn; it is already fat enough.

Use the corn to feed my EVO and start feeding americans complex carbs instead.
HA! I was thinking the same thing. Corn is pointless as food, but useful as a fuel. So, lets use it as a fuel.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 07:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 95630706

Second gen relies on microbes and proccessing techniques that can eat the fibre (cellulose) in almost all organic materials (think grass clippings etc.). There are currently about a dozen companies building pilot processing plants as we type.

Fuel is only one app, the plastics industry is all over bio polymers for obvious reasons.
Well said, and pretty close to what I was going to say.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 07:33 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 739 Likes on 571 Posts
Originally Posted by 95630706

Glad some people arent just ignorant sheep regurgitating quotes from their favorite uneducated TV persona..
Old Jun 21, 2011, 07:34 AM
Evolving Member

Obama Against Subsidies Repeal

July 20th, 2011

"Biofuels have long been part of President Barack Obama's plan to start weaning the country off imports of foreign oil. The White House issued a statement after the vote, saying it was against full repeal of the subsidies, indicating it could use veto power if the measure advances in Congress."

http://www.newsmax.com/US/Ethanol-su...6/20/id/400714
Old Jun 21, 2011, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
there are other sources of ethanol. http://www.algenolbiofuels.com/algadv.htm
Old Jun 21, 2011, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
I can solve the fat kid problem by having them run the bicycles that turn the generators that
keep my ethanol still burners heating. Hell, I will even dress up and dance around like Richard
Simmons if they're fat chicks.......
Old Jun 21, 2011, 08:44 PM

on a side note... the lines will be shorter when i show up at the pump