Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Safe/Aggressive Boost Levels for E85 RoadRacing

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2011, 05:13 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by blackenedwings
Hmm, very interesting information. I didn't realize the stock frame turbos were creating that much additional back pressure even running at an appropriate pressure. That may make me re-think my long term strategies for turbochargers. Right now the BBK Full produces a good amount of power for my skill and aero, with minimal lag, but the car is really being built soley for road racing. That being the case, I assume you prefer a tubular manifold and a "proper" ball bearing T3 style turbo? What size and power levels are being used for the time attack champions?

I have all of my cooling systems upgraded including oil cooler, radiator, and intercooler, which may be a contributing factor to why I've experienced no real hiccups at my current 26 psi. As I'm making the change to E85 and freeing up some exhaust flow I guess I can keep the boost the same with a better fuel.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti stock frame turbo whatsoever. Most of those NASA Time Trial champions are running stock frame variants. They are great turbos, espically here in California because they are very stealthy, make great power and spool well.

You just have to tune strategically with them if you want no issues. For a fun street car on E85, let er' rip, but the track (as you know) is a whole different world of extreme heat and demands.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti stock frame turbo whatsoever. Most of those NASA Time Trial champions are running stock frame variants. They are great turbos, espically here in California because they are very stealthy, make great power and spool well.

You just have to tune strategically with them if you want no issues. For a fun street car on E85, let er' rip, but the track (as you know) is a whole different world of extreme heat and demands.
Yeah, understood... I think the thing that's difficult for most Evo guys getting into road racing, myself included is that there is far less information than there is for the drag and street Evos. When you are making a couple of 1/4 passes you can run stupid power and get away with it, while 25+ min of WOT at high rpms puts a much larger strain on all of the cars systems. Knowing what is safe to run and even advantageous is really hard.

I don't think most people even know what power numbers are required to be competitive in various classes of road racing, or in many cases what class they even intend to compete in. With drag racing its a lot easier because you can see the power/weight of the bracket you are chasing and the mods most often used to hit those targets. I want to build a competitive Modified class time attack car to compete in events like Global Time Attack, Real Time Attack etc. (I'm East Coast located) that is NASA TT legal as well.

One of the reasons that I've been so pleased with the BBK-Full is its capable of maxing out the stock block (from a torque perspective) right about when it maxes out. This leaves maximum spool without throwing away a bunch of top end. I've always planned to move to something different when I build a stroker motor, but I can't honestly see myself tracking a car with more than 500 whp in any case. Even 400+ whp is a handful.

In fairness, my tuner constantly tells me that I don't need more power and to turn the wick down, but I'm a boost junkie. I'm mostly interested in going to E85 for safety of the motor rather than making huge power, because even on 93 octane I'm nearly 400 wtq.