Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Fuel Economy

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2011, 08:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Economy

I apologize for the brevity of my thread, but worse threads have been created.

I'm thinking about getting a 2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VIII and am curious about the fuel economy of the vehicle. You can all spare the "If you're worried about mileage, don't buy an Evo." That's naturally given. HOWEVER.....I would love to see what I can expect if I'm not lead footing it.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm getting ~21-23 mpg in the city and 27-28mpg highway on my self-tuned evo. Averages for most people are generally a bit lower than that.

http://www.fuelly.com/car/mitsubishi/lancer%20evolution
Old Oct 5, 2011, 08:20 PM
Evolving Member

That's not nearly as bad as I'd expected. Hmm. Thank you Raptord. What modifications have you done to get that good of mileage? You state that average users get less than that. Can you clarify?
Old Oct 5, 2011, 08:20 PM
Evolving Member

averaging 16-17 mpg im stock...so i think im in need of a tune to improve those mpg numbers.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 08:24 PM
Evolving Member

i get between 260-280 on a full tank. and that's driving like a grandma 80-90 % highway miles (no traffic,cruising at 70'ish). basically stock...06 mr btw
Old Oct 5, 2011, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Dont C6 ZO6 7.2 L V8 Corvettes get around 27 mpg ?

Well anyways, I started experimenting with timing and MPG . My first round of testing was flawed because one of the gas stations I would fill up had an uneven ground (not leveled). So I think that messed with my irregular results. But I am starting over again at editing the first post with the results.

If you interested:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...osed-loop.html

Off course my testing is not the best method because of many variables that can come into play (changing traffic, weather etc...) but its what I can do for now.

To answer your question, I get around 18-21 mpg. Usually its in between area of 19 or 20 .
Old Oct 5, 2011, 08:37 PM
Evolving Member

Highway driving and mostly staying out of boost nets me ~25mpgs. Stock car
Old Oct 5, 2011, 08:40 PM
Evolving Member

Without being mindful of my mpgs, 20-22 avg
Old Oct 5, 2011, 09:11 PM
Evolving Member

when my car was stock just exhaust... on 100% hwy i got close to 300 on a tank which = 29-30mpg in town i avg. 17-22 depending on how my right feels. lol
Old Oct 5, 2011, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
why do these threads keep popping up? i mean search this has been covered numerous times seriously. all these mpg threads make me wanna just say "sucky" thats what the dealership sticker should have read mpg=SUCKY and SHI**Y.

get real its an evo why worry about gas mileage? you know a high performance car out of the box is no honda civic econo car so why worry about it? and knowing 90% of people who drive an evo have modified it in some way is only hurting the gas mileage usually.

honestly wanna know what my gas mileage is? i couldnt tell ya. i really dont care either the 35 dollars it takes to fill it up last me about a week. gas mileage shouldnt be measured in mpg in the evo they should have measured it in MOF= MILES OF FUN
Old Oct 5, 2011, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by awdordie
Gas mileage shouldnt be measured in mpg in the evo, they should have measured it in MOF= MILES OF FUN
I just wanted to thank you for giving me an awesome sig quote in my first week of registration.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 10:47 PM

why do these threads keep popping up? i mean search this has been covered numerous times seriously. all these mpg threads make me wanna just say "sucky" thats what the dealership sticker should have read mpg=SUCKY and SHI**Y.

get real its an evo why worry about gas mileage? you know a high performance car out of the box is no honda civic econo car so why worry about it? and knowing 90% of people who drive an evo have modified it in some way is only hurting the gas mileage usually.

honestly wanna know what my gas mileage is? i couldnt tell ya. i really dont care either the 35 dollars it takes to fill it up last me about a week. gas mileage shouldnt be measured in mpg in the evo they should have measured it in MOF= MILES OF FUN
agreed
Old Oct 6, 2011, 06:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Just because it's a sports car doesn't mean MPG's have to be completely ignored. Are they my priority? No. But if I can save a few bucks from tuning cruise for better mileage while still enjoying my car, why wouldn't I?
Old Oct 6, 2011, 06:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
19-20 mpg city, 23-24 mpg hwy for my IX. Mods made no difference.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I am lucky to get around 215 miles on a full tank. mixed highway and city driving.

Quick Reply: Fuel Economy