Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

gas gauge doesnt read full (after walbro and tune)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2011, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gas gauge doesnt read full (after walbro and tune)

got tuned a few days ago, had a walbro fuel pump installed at the same time. i filled up today but my gas gauge will only go to 3/4 tank. is this normal after a fuel pump instal? and am i getting a fuel tank when i gas up?
Old Nov 20, 2011, 10:18 PM
Evolving Member

It is possible that the installer might have bent the floater sensor and that would send a false reading to the cluster. as far as getting a full tank of gas, if you set the pump handle to fill on its own, it will stop itself at a full tank of gas. sounds like your gonna have to Pull the seats and check the floater for damage.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 02:16 AM

Sounds like the float got messed up...
Old Nov 21, 2011, 05:42 AM
Evolving Member

take the fuel pump assembly out and make sure the float isnt hung up or the arm isnt bent...
Old Nov 21, 2011, 06:05 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 184 Likes on 130 Posts
Yeah read just the float it should work just fine. More then likely it is hitting on the clamp or tie wrap or whatever is holding the pump into place. Happens alot.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cursedsm
Yeah read just the float it should work just fine. More then likely it is hitting on the clamp or tie wrap or whatever is holding the pump into place. Happens alot.
I would hope any reputable shop wouldn't use tie wraps to hold the fuel pump in place when putting a Walbro in an Evo, it is a direct replacement for the stock fuel pump. I'm betting the float arm was bent when reinstalled or the installer scratched the surface of the "resistance field" on the sending unit. Either way it should be easy to verify. Feel free to PM me if you need any further assistance.

Josh
Old Nov 21, 2011, 07:55 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 184 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by jmelocik
I would hope any reputable shop wouldn't use tie wraps to hold the fuel pump in place when putting a Walbro in an Evo, it is a direct replacement for the stock fuel pump. I'm betting the float arm was bent when reinstalled or the installer scratched the surface of the "resistance field" on the sending unit. Either way it should be easy to verify. Feel free to PM me if you need any further assistance.

Josh
I totally agree with you Josh but I am sure working on your car you have made a similar mistake not knowing. I mean it happens to the best of us and honestly can say its a honest mistake if so.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 08:31 PM

okay, thanks for all the replies. just called the shop and they said it was probably the floater. im going to take it back for them to fix it
Old Nov 22, 2011, 12:03 PM

Couldn't get to the shop today, but is this something easily done? I am an evo noob but have basic mechanic skills.