Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

I think Im Calling it Quits

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2011, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Keep yoursetup simple. I like the 2.0 and keep things safe.

Last edited by High_PSI; Nov 23, 2011 at 07:29 AM.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You're so close. Don't be a quitter!
Old Nov 22, 2011, 03:07 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah thats actually exactly what I was planning sell the Evo get a new m5 and have the mustang. But I do want to finish what I've been building for the last year and just see what it does.
This isn't a simple build I'm not working on a hope a dream here I've cover every perimeter on this car.
I'm lucky enough to have an amazing frabicator across the street from me so It's just the fact that anything I want to do can be achieved and idk what I want
Old Nov 22, 2011, 05:28 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
IMHO, if you keep breaking things you need to look into some of the things that race teams use to mitigate such catastrophic failures. One thing would be to get a WPC treatment of the transmission gears (after REM iso finish). You can also have WPC treat the TC aluminum housing/case as well if you're cracking those.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 07:46 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Butt Dyno
Start autocrossing, or doing track events.

Try to keep the car sane.

Less $$ on parts and more on driving.

You might enjoy it better, just saying.
Originally Posted by Svendiesel
Did you just say it's cheaper to do autocross??
Originally Posted by UT_Evo
You must be smokin'... That very same post you quoted specifically says to spend the money more on driving and less on mods. AKA Autocross... he didn't say it was cheaper. Though track days and reasonable autocrosses (no hard launches) are a lot cheaper than drag in the long run.
UT is right. I was saying "spend less on parts, and more on driving."

That said, if this is what drag racing a 9 or 10 second car entails, then autocross is sure cheaper:
4 evos. 10 motors. 7 turbo set ups. countless tcases. and a handful of transmissions.
I put 130 runs on my car this year (it was a slow year), and didn't break any of that stuff...
Old Nov 23, 2011, 07:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If you take care of doiong a few things the right way, you can track (road race) an Evo with very minimal, if any breakage and have a ball. For much, much less than what some of these guys spend trying to run 9's you can put together a reliable track Evo that will embarrass an M3 and let you run pretty much with some exotic company.

Now of course, that depends on how far you go and how hard you drive. The only things I have 'broken' are drivetrain stuff. But since I upgraded all that, no more issues. But if you try to build an unlimited class time attack monster, you are probably going to run into the same issues as the people trying to go low 9's in an Evo do.

But in the end you can still build a VERY quick track Evo for a reasonable amount of money. Do it right, change the fluids every 1-2 events (depending on how hard you drive) and all you have to do is keep brakes and tires on it.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 05:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Threads like this show just how diverse the group of Evo owners are! You've got guys that drag race and are not interested in autox, you've got guys that autox and do an occasional drag, there's guys that road race and have no interest in drag racing the car.. there was even a thread not too long ago where someone was complaining about guys putting their cars away in the winter and not going out and racing around in the snow!

Definitely 'to each their own' and shows just how great of an all-around car the Evo is! I'm guessing that over on the SVT cobra forums, if there is a debate about this sort of thing it's not nearly as often haha

I tried Autox, not really interested. I went to a couple road races, one was a 'redline' event and two or three people totaled their cars, one was an Evo, and one was the poor guys daily or at least his ride home. When I say totaled, I don't mean a broken t case or trans... I mean it was F'd.

So for me, it's enjoying the wrenching and just some drag racing. I also wonder about moving onto another chassis.. but let me recap (GT-R is not an option) I've got a car that can cut 'almost' as good of 60's at the track as a RWD but I can do it on street tires, and I can replicate it on the street better than most RWD. I've never had to worry about the rear of the car coming around when accelerating in a straight line. RWD cars crash on the drag strip way way more often than AWD. Plus let's say you found yourself on a closed course traveling way faster than what you probably should be... and you have to make a sudden stop/avoid something... what platform would you rather have? The Evo seldom disappoints in those situations.

There are reasons to race the evo 'in a straight line' as some of you put it.. the answer is not always to run out and buy a mustang, then sell the evo to someone else who wants to road race it The OP has to ask himself.. do you really think that another chassis will not break as often when pushed to its limit? And how much cash will it take you to get your new project at least back to where you are with the Evo? And if you hate the way it drives/handles when you're not at the drag strip... how much will it cost then to try to make it exactly what you want?
Old Dec 3, 2011, 08:10 PM

congratulations. move on if you want, sounds like you could afford a skyline or such...
Old Dec 4, 2011, 01:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
whatever happens happens cuz u dont wanna live with that what if feeling
Old Dec 4, 2011, 08:35 AM

If i was in your case i would keep the evo but put it at about 350-400hp and have fun with it!!! then build the mustang as hard as it is to say it. You had your fun. wherever you do im sure you will regret something. its just life. But just remember "" is in your blood