Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Polished Evo 8 intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2011, 12:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
heres the only pic i have of the valve cover. :
Attached Thumbnails Polished Evo 8 intake manifold-valve-cover.jpeg  
Old Dec 12, 2011, 12:14 PM
Evolving Member

BTW i got some more progress on the intake mani. Its all ported and the outsided is roughed in with 220 grit. ill have to take a break since my right hand is missing alot of finger prints. LOL

Old Dec 12, 2011, 02:26 PM
Evolving Member

^^^ looking good.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 02:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by LVmevo
heres the only pic i have of the valve cover. :
BTW what do you use to protect against oxidation??
Old Dec 12, 2011, 05:29 PM
Evolving Member

Actually i didnt even get a chance to buff it out. a buddy of mine offered to do some gloss black powder coating on it so i went for it. I have heard of a ceramic clear coat, not sure if it would work after the metal was all buffed out . nothing would stick to it. and the for the manifold its comming out alright but i have a feeling that the more i sand with high grit , all the imperfections are going to pop out more.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 05:39 PM
Evolving Member

you guys have way more patience than I do. keep up the good work
Old Dec 12, 2011, 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by silverIXMR
you guys have way more patience than I do. keep up the good work
+1
Old Dec 13, 2011, 12:03 AM

so i finished polishing and buffing the thermostat housing neck, also went and got aircraft paint stripper to use on the valve cover (the gel kind) and just a pre warning lol, don't leave the paint stripper on for more than 30 minutes. it put little divits everywhere, Good thing i'm not to bad with a DA sander!!! oh and I'm not polishing the valve cover, i am just sanding it down then she'll be ready for epoxy primer & primer. Then i'll sand everything down peeerrrrrfectly smooth then spray some pPg candy b12 paint, some nice clear and cut n buff!!

doesn't it sound so easy???

Old Dec 13, 2011, 12:22 AM
Evolving Member

I am liking that t-stat housing. i couldnt decide weather to polish mine or black gloss powder to match my valvecover. looks like ill be polishing mine too. Your Looks Good!
Old Dec 13, 2011, 02:46 AM

thanks. yeah just make sure you go from like 120 grit all the way up to 2000. i did however paint the lower part of the thermostat housing black, only the water neck is polished, i think it'd be silly to have the lower part stand out ya know? just remember when you polish and buff parts like this, they oxidize very quickly. so even though mine looks good now i'll have to mantain buffing it and waxing it to keep it shiny! hey i was wondering if any evo 8 owners have their throttle cable tucked any special way so that it doesn't have to lay across the valve cover, i was wanting to bondo over the drilled hole with the little bracket on the front of the valve cover so it looks all clean, but i dunno because wouldn't bending the throttle cable underneith and around the side of the intake manifold and to the tb cause it to not function properly?
Old Dec 13, 2011, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I did my evo 3 intake long ago. extra bungs and what not welded up first.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 11:21 PM
Evolving Member

The evo throtle body cable has been moved many times without any binding or any issues. Just have to make sure you have the proper slack on the line when you bolt it back up to the intake mani. I have had mine come out of the firewall and over the top of the intake, used the front cable holder on the valvecover to bolt it in the upper left hand side of the firewall. I currently run it under the intake manifold with no brakets without a problem. BTW i was wondering if its okay to skip some grits? im at 220 now but i bought 400-600-1000-2000. should i go back and pick up some more in between grits?

Last edited by EvoFredo; Dec 13, 2011 at 11:26 PM.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by LVmevo
The evo throtle body cable has been moved many times without any binding or any issues. Just have to make sure you have the proper slack on the line when you bolt it back up to the intake mani. I have had mine come out of the firewall and over the top of the intake, used the front cable holder on the valvecover to bolt it in the upper left hand side of the firewall. I currently run it under the intake manifold with no brakets without a problem. BTW i was wondering if its okay to skip some grits? im at 220 now but i bought 400-600-1000-2000. should i go back and pick up some more in between grits?
You can skip grits depending on how well you've polished it so far, but 220 and 400 is a pretty big differance. i'd get 320 just to be sure you get all the scratches smoothed out from the 220 grit. and alright thanks for the info on the throttle cable, i always thought the little bracket on the front of the valve cover (evo8) looked goofy lol.

so i've almost got the valve cover completely sanded down and ready for paint. trying to find a good shop to tune the car. anyone heard of English Racing or Pina motorsports in Seattle Area? are these good shops?
Old Dec 14, 2011, 01:04 PM
Evolving Member

English racing FTW. Aaron and lucas came out to LV, NV earlier this year to tune a few evo 8/9 and X's. they did a hell of a job with my car,built 2.0 with mid size turbo. I am saving for a retune for next year cuz i plan on buying a few parts . My car made something like 600awhp511TQ on a local dyno jet. Very nice people to work with and very knowledgeable about tunning .
Old Dec 14, 2011, 06:58 PM

oh okay well i was probably going to go with Pina Motorsports since it's closer, i can't really afford to haul my car on a trailer all the way to Olimpia, wa lol. but dyno jets read high numbers, the dyno isn't under as much load as real life driving. when you get it retuned, try to get it tuned on a Mustang dyno or something else besides a dyno jet. also finished sanding on the valve cover.

Quick Reply: Polished Evo 8 intake manifold