Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Milky white substance in oil

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2011, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mcjallen
Are you still on stock head studs? I ended up lifting my head briefly and blew out two freeze plugs on the freeway. More serious than what you have but: I replaced them and the car idled fine in the garage but I didn't want to drive it because I had the same symptoms as you. Oil was fine when drained but the dipstick and oil cap had milky oil on them. Replaced the slightly blown headgasket and headstuds and saved money because I didn't drive it making it worse and need any machine work done. I hope I'm wrong but better safe than sorry!
No...i'm on ARP head studs
Old Dec 23, 2011, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

i ended up replacing the pcv to the intake manifold and bought an ebay catchcan that i modded to work between the vc and intake pipe. tcomp made a good thread on here about catchcan setups that is a very good read.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 09:41 AM

Wow...I keep finding more and more posts about the BR catch can causing this problem...I wish i picked up on this before i bought it...I keep hearing really good things about the Saikou Michi cans...What do you guys think???
Old Dec 23, 2011, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I never understood the catch can drain back to the oil pan. If moisture condenses into the can during the cool months with the combination of a hot engine bay, all of that water drains back into the oil pan.

As someone asked if run E85, though you dont, E85 has a strong affinity for water. My catch can was about 95% filled over a period of 2 days with water from the hot engine bay, the cold air, and then the fact that E85 draws in water. If I had a catch can that drained back to my oil pan, Id have quite a crazy amount of water in my oil. This was just one cap full of what came out of my catch can during one drain, I emptied out another full detergent capfull of water.

Old Dec 23, 2011, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
The OP starts out by saying his engine is having blow by issues. Well, what is blow by? The two main products of combustion are carbon dioxide and water. So, water is going to the crankcase. It does so to some extent in all our engines. The water will condense from vapor to liquid when it encounters cooler parts of the engine. Would the time of year be winter? So, surprise surprise, water is condensing.

The way to get water out of an engine is a long enough drive to get the engine hot.

Where I live there is a large supermarket 7 blocks from my house. Walmart is about a mile in the opposite direction. I won't make either trip without swinging out on the highway for several miles.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Svendiesel
I never understood the catch can drain back to the oil pan. If moisture condenses into the can during the cool months with the combination of a hot engine bay, all of that water drains back into the oil pan.
A catch can drain back has a purpose. But city driving in winter is not it. The engine, when run at high rpm, will pass as much as a quart or more of oil to the catch can per hour. I never heard of an Evo running the 24 hours of Daytona but I know DSM's have. Running on the track for extended periods will run you out of oil without a drain back.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

I was never crazy about catch can dumping back into oil pan.I would get dual seiku michi catch cans with Pcv and 2 check valves.ill post pics of my setup when I get home.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Gordian79
I was never crazy about catch can dumping back into oil pan.I would get dual seiku michi catch cans with Pcv and 2 check valves.ill post pics of my setup when I get home.
Please do...It will be much appreciated...Thanks
Old Dec 23, 2011, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by barneyb
A catch can drain back has a purpose. But city driving in winter is not it. The engine, when run at high rpm, will pass as much as a quart or more of oil to the catch can per hour. I never heard of an Evo running the 24 hours of Daytona but I know DSM's have. Running on the track for extended periods will run you out of oil without a drain back.

Well yes I meant more of for a regular daily driver car, not a track/road race specific setup. I didnt clarify that.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 10:54 AM

BLOWN HEAD GASKET son!
Old Dec 25, 2011, 11:22 AM

water in oil. deff. not a good thing
Old Dec 26, 2011, 08:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
You could send a sample of oil to Blackstone Labs to get a definite answer of what's in it.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 12:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo8g23
Please do...It will be much appreciated...Thanks
I made a whole post about it.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ml#post9853060
Old Dec 29, 2011, 10:19 AM
Evolving Member

Hmmm....u guys got me thinking about my setup. I may have to change some crap around
Old Dec 29, 2011, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Condensation forms because the catch can has a bottom and is closed off. I don't see this happening on the BR one because it's opened up and the cooling process would be completely different with the heat from the bottom end attributing to it and it not being closed off. It isn't like the water cools, collects, then drains into the oil pan. Buschur has tested this out and shown it to not be the case. All catch cans will catch condensation during the fall/winter/spring because of temperature swings, it is just what happens when you have rapid heating/cooling, there's nothing wrong with it.

Quick Reply: Milky white substance in oil