Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Milky white substance in oil

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2011, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 05blue8
Condensation forms because the catch can has a bottom and is closed off. I don't see this happening on the BR one because it's opened up and the cooling process would be completely different with the heat from the bottom end attributing to it and it not being closed off. It isn't like the water cools, collects, then drains into the oil pan. Buschur has tested this out and shown it to not be the case. All catch cans will catch condensation during the fall/winter/spring because of temperature swings, it is just what happens when you have rapid heating/cooling, there's nothing wrong with it.
thank you..... the milky white substance is from condensation mixed with oil vaper from, as explained cyclic heat/cooling.... especially happens in the colder months when you do a lot of short driving trips, enough to heat your engine fully but not long enough to digest all of the water/oil vaper etc out of your valve cover.
It will depend on the engine etc but its very common, for example, I've owned my GTi for almost 12 yrs now and it does this very very much, nothing is wrong with my engine, in fact I've rebuilt it twice now since I've had it so long (built motor's dont last)
Its possible your valve cover is not breathing as well as it did being plumbed back into your intake could be a reason why it does this more now than it did before.... I'm not an expert on this subject but I'm 100% certain that it is very common at least with gasoline engines. (especially on vw's )
Old Dec 30, 2011, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GTijoejoe
thank you..... the milky white substance is from condensation mixed with oil vaper from, as explained cyclic heat/cooling.... especially happens in the colder months when you do a lot of short driving trips, enough to heat your engine fully but not long enough to digest all of the water/oil vaper etc out of your valve cover.
It will depend on the engine etc but its very common, for example, I've owned my GTi for almost 12 yrs now and it does this very very much, nothing is wrong with my engine, in fact I've rebuilt it twice now since I've had it so long (built motor's dont last)
Its possible your valve cover is not breathing as well as it did being plumbed back into your intake could be a reason why it does this more now than it did before.... I'm not an expert on this subject but I'm 100% certain that it is very common at least with gasoline engines. (especially on vw's )
Awesome...Thank you guys so much...That is pretty much what i figured it would be seeing as the car runs good, doesn't smoke and is not losing coolant...It also makes perfect sense because i check my oil about every 2 weeks because i have the blow by issue and the oil was never like that until it started getting cold here in CT...Also i do make a lot of short trips...I still think i'm gonna get rid of the BR setup because the more i think about it i dunno how i feel about the can draining back to the pan...I think i would rather have to empty a can or 2 every so often than risk it...I think i'm gonna send an e-mail to Saikou Michi and see what they recommend to try and solve the issue...Thanks again everyone