Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Sputtering @ WOT

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2012, 08:31 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like an injector might be foul'd a little. Go get some sea foam and run it through your system (you just pour it in your fuel tank with your fill up or you can put it in now lol), and that will clean out a LOT of your fuel system. I'd recommend that, it's only like $5 at advanced auto or autozone. White can with red writing, can't miss it. I've had issues like this before and it really has helped me a lot in the past.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 01:43 PM
Evolving Member

^^^ good idea. didnt think of that one!
Old Feb 12, 2012, 04:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by civicej8
what kind of plugs did you buy? hope you didnt mess up the electrode when you gapped it. those can happen easily, a tank of 87 doesnt ruin a car. i just put in my sparks and my car was hesitating and almost on the verge of sputtering, i checked my gap and they got loose, i would gap em smaller to .20 and try that.
Nah, all I did was check the gap and they were pretty spot on at .022 (I think one was at .019) so I didn't even bother messing with them further, for that exact reason. I bought the NGK Laser Iridiums ILFR7H.

As for Seafoam, I actually tried that today and it didn't seem to fix anything. I've been busy with other stuff so I still need to datalog a pull for you all. The thing is, I don't have a wideband, so will a datalog still be useful? What about my wires/coils? Should I order some?
Old Feb 12, 2012, 05:38 PM
Evolving Member

Another update. Datalogged the car. I also threw a CEL this time, P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire.

Attached are two logs in a zip file. Any insight from anyone can get from those would be much appreciated.
Attached Files

Last edited by JBud72; Feb 12, 2012 at 05:56 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 05:45 PM
Evolving Member

man.... hope you find out whats going on with the car.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 09:04 PM
Evolving Member

i hate that code ... the exact thing happened on my 8 . check out the other thread on it that i started a while back... im doing this in my head as to why you havent done a boost leak at all. i keep saying this because the exact same thing happened to me . but for real check out my previous thread about code p0300 . i m 99% sure its the same problem i had... https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...code-help.html

Last edited by djikonatx; Feb 12, 2012 at 09:07 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 09:44 PM
Evolving Member

I've been really busy lately and haven't been able to go out and build a boost leak tester (I don't know anyone with one), so that's why I still haven't done that.

I'm gonna check out your thread now
Old Feb 12, 2012, 11:38 PM

you fried your coils. this honestly just happened to me 2 weeks ago haha. i thought i put in 93 but apparently not. and my car sputtered like that too, only on high rpms though. it sounded like my IC popped out under boost but everything was still connected. itll get worse and worse. it will eventually start to sputter at low rpms and when you just hit boost.

so i changed my plugs and it sill happened. so i say screw it and bought sparktech non-cdi individual coils and now the car runs like a champ. it actually runs better than b4.

bottem line. you need new sparkplug wires/coils. if you have the dough to cough up right now. DO NOT hesitate getting sparktech. but if not. high performance sparkplug wires go for like 100 and oem coils go for close to nothing on the forums here. gaurentee you thats the problem as this is exactly what happened to me 2 weeks again and stopped yesterday once i installed the sparktech. best of luck on your problem. hope my post will help you in anyway.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 03:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You can order a boost leak tester off eBay or z1 performance.

I believe I bought mine off z1 performance. It's got a nice bead on it to prevent it from blowing off. I think it cost me around $20 shipped.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Drill_Sergeant
You can order a boost leak tester off eBay or z1 performance.

I believe I bought mine off z1 performance. It's got a nice bead on it to prevent it from blowing off. I think it cost me around $20 shipped.
yup. start small then work your way up. 20 bucks is alot better than spending 200+
if boost leak test wont work then its definitely your coils.
if you have a friend with a evo. ask to use his coil. if not then do what i say on my previous post on this thread.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 07:55 AM
Evolving Member

Can anyone read the logs I posted?
Old Feb 13, 2012, 10:17 AM
Evolving Member

I pulled my wires and coils just now to see if I could see any damage and sure enough, I think the coils are messed up. Can someone tell me what they think?

Here's one coil...looks pretty normal

Here's the other one, which doesn't look so great

Here's the pictures of the wires

Notice this one look a little worn too (and it's the one that plugged into the messed up coil)

So, should I start thinking about buying some new wires/coils now?
Old Feb 13, 2012, 02:19 PM
Evolving Member

bump
Old Feb 13, 2012, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Suggestions have been made to help you figure it out. Save yourself some heartache and time by trying them out. Someone suggested finding a local Evo guy and try their coils. Or just go ahead and purchase coils or a COP setup. Do a proper boost leak test. You've already found one vacuum line blown off.

But yet you keep asking the same questions before trying out all the routes. Members are giving you solutions that worked for them when they had the same issues. I see that you've tried some but it seems like you're just asking questions, wasting time, and hoping things will sort themselves out.

Your two good options you have not done is to test out a known good ignition setup, and to do a BLT.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 03:48 PM
Evolving Member

I do not have anyone's ignition set-up I can try; I'm currently in a small town in the Florida Keys. Evo's aren't exactly common-place around here, so my only option is ordering parts, which I am trying to avoid by the pictures I JUST posted of my coils. Boost leak test is the only thing that I have not done, that was suggested.

I don't see how I am wasting time by providing valuable info for people to help me troubleshoot. Didn't think datalogs nor pictures of my coils were a waste of time.

Quick Reply: Sputtering @ WOT