Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Who is interested in swapping to the JDM/EUDM Electronic HVAC Controls?

Old Feb 1, 2012, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Who is interested in swapping to the JDM/EUDM Electronic HVAC Controls?

I have finally been able to located the FSM for the EUDM Evo IX's. I am going through the circuit diagrams right now and making a parts list that will enable me to do the entire conversion. I also was able to find a parts puller in the UK who is willing to find specific pieces from wrecked Evo's. They are able to provide any and all parts, including intact wiring harnesses.

Who else is interested in this conversion and how much would you be willing to pay for all of the parts?

So far, it looks like its going to be $500 minimum just for parts. I might be able to get a discount if there are more people ordering the same parts from these guys. If I can get this conversion successfully completed, I will do a full write-up with detailed instructions and a parts list.

I am still unable to find actual Mitsubishi part numbers for these parts. If anyone has any ideas on how to do that, please let me know!

For those of you who are unaware what the difference is between the USDM and overseas HVAC controls, the US market got boned with a cable driven system. Here is what the overseas markets got. Fully automatic HVAC! This picture was provided by the parts supplier!

-Acree
Attached Thumbnails Who is interested in swapping to the JDM/EUDM Electronic HVAC Controls?-picture-639.jpg  

Last edited by Acree; Feb 1, 2012 at 09:54 AM.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I've read discussion on this before at this board. I never see a completed project though.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

I promise you I will be completing this project. This is the one feature of my Evo that I have hated since the day I bought it. I had a 350Z which had electronically controlled HVAC for 5 years before this car. I guess I'm spoiled.

In the end, I may end up re-configuring some of the harnesses, or even end up designing a small micro-controller to replace a component or two. This swap is definitely happening!

-Acree
Old Feb 1, 2012, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Clifton New Jersey Lived: Daytona Beach, Florida Lived: Port Orange, Florida
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it might require you to make a micro controller because i ended up doing that for my powerfold mirrors after looking at cost of getting the oem stuff and wiring.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

Do you have the OEM heated/folding mirrors installed? That's another side project I'd like to complete.

-Acree
Old Feb 1, 2012, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

sounds like a bad *** idea, but 500 bucks so far to part together everything? thats quite abit considering the just relocating the A/C controls to bottom with one of the DIY is alot easier and costs a hell of alot less.

Either way good luck with this, id love to see the finished product.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

I'd be interested. In for final price and results.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
its def sick. i would love to have one but only if the hole setup was lighter then stock
Old Feb 1, 2012, 11:43 AM
Evolving Member

What all has to be changed besides just the control unit?

How do you have to modify the stock air mix box/gears/blend door assembly to accept the electronic controls?
Old Feb 1, 2012, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
subscribed, i'm interested to see where this goes!
Old Feb 1, 2012, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Im in for one as lng as it doesnt require a lot of work and wiring
Old Feb 1, 2012, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

can anyone tell me the difference between a fully-automatic hvac unit vs our standard one? what would it just turn on and off by itself?
Old Feb 2, 2012, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Clifton New Jersey Lived: Daytona Beach, Florida Lived: Port Orange, Florida
Originally Posted by Acree
Do you have the OEM heated/folding mirrors installed? That's another side project I'd like to complete.

-Acree
not heated but they are oem powerfolding. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BikFy...3&feature=plcp

old video when wired to my alarm, since i changed alarm style i embarked on getting it to run off an arduino board, using a temporary switch since i haven't wired the oem mirror switch i got from the UK, i will also be adding the function to auto unfold at a specific mph which happend OEM at like 20kph i think. I also will program in auto fold when car is shut down since i already have an ignition sensing setup for the arduino because i wired in a rfid access system to unlock the car and it only gets activated when ign is off.

Last edited by Skylineracer; Feb 2, 2012 at 08:16 AM.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No need to design/fabricate anything, just get the interior harness, blower/heater core and auto controls from an Evo with auto climate, swap everything and be done.
I also have folding mirrors, and I did not do any fabrication, just make sure to get the ETACS from an evo with folding mirrors, and a circuit diagram to install the cables to the correct pins, that's it.
As far as I know, the ETACS does not control the auto climate control, I could be wrong so don't quote me on that one.
Ed
PS: My car has the auto climate control
Old Feb 2, 2012, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Evoardo IX
No need to design/fabricate anything, just get the interior harness, blower/heater core and auto controls from an Evo with auto climate, swap everything and be done.
I'd like to see this done too. It always seems to end up harder and more expensive then the person starting the project expects.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Who is interested in swapping to the JDM/EUDM Electronic HVAC Controls?