Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

ACT clutch problems..go figure.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2012, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ACT clutch problems..go figure.

I recently had an ACT MB7-XTSS clutch installed. Sprung, full face disc. And when I shift at redline, more than half the time, it'll lock me out of the gear.

Other than buying a twin disc, is there any modifications I can make to correct this? Right now I have solid shifter bushings (underhook and base), STS, AMS SSB clutch lines, to compliment the clutch.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 02:47 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Have you done the front lower motor mount? It almost always solves this problem especially as they get older.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by fostytou
Have you done the front lower motor mount? It almost always solves this problem especially as they get older.
No, still using the stocker.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 04:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fostytou
+1 noticed a huge difference in drivability when i changed this mount. Helps alot in regular daily driving as well. Makes engaging the clutch much easier.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 06:03 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Search this topic. It is a very common issue w/ ACT which I have as well. I dont shift at redline (too often) so I just live w/it.

Some lock out issues can be resolved w/a simple clutch pedal adjustment which you should have done. ( I havent adjusted mine yet)
Old Mar 28, 2012, 06:28 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Does your clutch engage near the floor or towards the top?
Old Mar 28, 2012, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Motor Mounts, the engine rocks a LOT. Also adjust the clutch further out, it may not be fully disengaged.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
if you dont wanna do the motor mount, i also noticed a shifting improvement when i swapped in a engine torque dampener, i used the ingalls kit. Shifting got a lot more crisp and less notchy.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Dallas J
Does your clutch engage near the floor or towards the top?
I would say in the middle. The shop that installed it did not adjust the clutch pedal, that i know of.

I ordered a set of torque solution solid mounts yesterday. All but the rear mount.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 12:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB7-HDSS, no lockout at all. I don't just drop redlines I slip n drop them though. I'm also probably making less torque than you. With your setup you might roast my street clutch.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 07:40 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Originally Posted by 12secDD
I would say in the middle. The shop that installed it did not adjust the clutch pedal, that i know of.

I ordered a set of torque solution solid mounts yesterday. All but the rear mount.
Its really easy to adjust, I would suggest getting the engagement higher. That will help get more separation between the flywheel and pressure plate giving more room for the "wobble" of the disc.

Another issue that may cause the binding is if they didnt clean out the splines and put a bit of light grease on it (very light of course). If not then the disc can stay rubbing against the flywheel instead of floating off it cause a little excess drag.

On all my clutches if done (dozens if you include DSMs), getting enough separation and having good detailing on the splines has always given me great shifting.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Dallas J
Its really easy to adjust, I would suggest getting the engagement higher. That will help get more separation between the flywheel and pressure plate giving more room for the "wobble" of the disc.

Another issue that may cause the binding is if they didnt clean out the splines and put a bit of light grease on it (very light of course). If not then the disc can stay rubbing against the flywheel instead of floating off it cause a little excess drag.

On all my clutches if done (dozens if you include DSMs), getting enough separation and having good detailing on the splines has always given me great shifting.
I'm going to see if these mounts fix it. If they don't, then i'll bring the engagement point out a little.
Thanks!