Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Wing Downforce Specs?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2004, 11:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by trev0006
can someone please explain why the RS model coming out has no wing? I thought the RS was made for racing.
They didn't come with a wing only to save weight. I'm assuming they expect someone that buys it to put a light weight wing on there.
Old Jan 23, 2004, 12:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by trev0006
can someone please explain why the RS model coming out has no wing? I thought the RS was made for racing.

They didn't come with a wing only to save weight. I'm assuming they expect someone that buys it to put a light weight wing on there

They did it to keep the cost down.
Old Jan 23, 2004, 12:12 AM
Evolving Member

but to keep cost low they risked a performance lose? after all the RS is their car that will be modded by buyers, At least I would like to think the buyer would buy a lighter weight wing for his RS but the stock carbon fiber wing is pretty light, trust me I know

Last edited by trev0006; Jan 23, 2004 at 12:15 AM.
Old Jan 23, 2004, 07:09 AM

It may be light, but some of those full carbon fiber ones are just as light, but also being higher, can produce more downforce. Plus lots of people would pull that off and put something on that may match their bodykit better.
Old Jan 23, 2004, 07:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by vamz
It may be light, but some of those full carbon fiber ones are just as light,

old topic
Just FYI, ours are full carbon, sides and everything
Old Jan 23, 2004, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

The RS has no wing, as the RS is expected to sell mostly to race teams and the hardcore weekend racers. Those people will no doubt want to add their own wing, whether the stock one will do or an aftermarket one. Coming without the wing just gives them the aftermarket option.
Old Jan 23, 2004, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

And as stated earlier, in AutoX the wing is not that useful... I think the EvoRS is also designed to be an AutoX killer, especially with that Front LSD which would make a bigger difference on a tight course than on a longer road course.
Old Jan 23, 2004, 10:34 AM
RaX
Evolved Member

The big wing will be an accessory on the RS:

Old Jan 23, 2004, 10:52 AM
Evolving Member

by what this sheet says 2004 evo will offer leather recaros, ah ****!!!! f@#$@$ mits and all the car companies that screw the firts year buyers.

anyway sorry to get off the subject
Old Jan 23, 2004, 11:01 AM

Originally posted by djsbadger
If the wing is generating 70 lbs of downforce at 60 mph, that equates to :

194 lbs at 100 mph

280 lbs at 120 mph

437 lbs at 150 mph

As far as the wings effectiveness, one of the magazines (Autoweek?) noted the RS felt less stable than the standard
EVO on the fast corners and attributed it to the wing.
Thanks djsbadger,
Is this the theoritical performance of the wing, or the wing as it performs when mounted on the vehicle? If the latter, where did you get that data?

Sean
Old Jan 23, 2004, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

194 lbs at 100 mph

280 lbs at 120 mph

437 lbs at 150 mph

As far as the wings effectiveness, one of the magazines (Autoweek?) noted the RS felt less stable than the standard
I can vouch for the wings usfulness, my dumbass thought it was just for show, i removed it and went on a backroad run that i had done many times before (with the wing) at 120, coming over a minor lift i caught wayyyy more air than i normaly did and when i landed i had no rear end , it was swinging all over finaly ending up in a hard side ways slide, fronttire caught in a ditch, i went end over end at prolly 90 mph (my skid marks where aprox 300 feet long so im asuming i slowed a bit) and landed back on my wheels in the ditch

Before this i had noticed a lil squirlyness at 90mph on some twistys on pavement, but stupidly ignored it thinking it was wet roads

in retrospect the signs where there and i shouldnt have made such a drastic change to the cars performance then drivin it on the edge like i did

anyway i got a totaled evo out of it,,

moral of the story, im not getting another one with out a big wing
Old Jan 23, 2004, 01:42 PM
Evolving Member

wow.. maybe the moral of the story should be to not hit 120 on back roads with jumps in them...

the RS has no wing for weight and cost savings, as it is expected to be added aftermarket by most buyers.

as for whoever said that the airstream under a car would cause suction due to the bernoulli effect, you're simply taking a very simplified premise and theorizing with it. while a faster moving airstream does cause lower pressure hence suction, what makes you think the the air under a car moves faster than the air above it. If you look at the profile of most cars it kinda resembles an airfoil, flat bottom, protruding top. Air has to move faster to get around the protruding top than the flat bottom, plus separation of flow issues which get complex and were not getting into. Also, the underside of the car is close to the ground which can cause air to move slower also.

limiting the amount of air going under the car will decrease lift, but tends to make tha car have a bit more drag due to a larger area for air to hit and go around. the underbody panels we have are there to decrease the drag of whatever air makes it under tha car, and to cause the cool air entering through FMIC and radiator to flow out the top. Lowering the car or having a larger front dam shouldnt really affect the brake cooling guides b/c they move such little air in comparison to whats sneaking under the car that you'll never be able to limit enough air under the car to make them useless... not that i think theyre really that usefull in the 1st place, but thats another argument...

whew.. sorry for the long winded post.
Old Jan 23, 2004, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by zTargeTz

I can vouch for the wings usfulness, my dumbass thought it was just for show, i removed it and went on a backroad run that i had done many times before (with the wing) at 120, coming over a minor lift i caught wayyyy more air than i normaly did and when i landed i had no rear end , it was swinging all over finaly ending up in a hard side ways slide, fronttire caught in a ditch, i went end over end at prolly 90 mph (my skid marks where aprox 300 feet long so im asuming i slowed a bit) and landed back on my wheels in the ditch

Before this i had noticed a lil squirlyness at 90mph on some twistys on pavement, but stupidly ignored it thinking it was wet roads

in retrospect the signs where there and i shouldnt have made such a drastic change to the cars performance then drivin it on the edge like i did

anyway i got a totaled evo out of it,,

moral of the story, im not getting another one with out a big wing
==============================

wow that fast! thanks God you still here with us telling the story
Old Jan 23, 2004, 11:13 PM

194 lbs at 100 mph

280 lbs at 120 mph

437 lbs at 150 mph

This is very interesting indeed. Maybe the next time I talk to one of my Aeronautical Engineering friends I can have him take some measurements and put those numbers into his nifty computer program. I'm curious to see if these numbers are in fact accurate. 437 lbs at 150 mph - impressive.
Old Jan 23, 2004, 11:23 PM
SOF
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Androoos
437 lbs at 150 mph - impressive.
Try putting a 437 lb weight on the wing, it will break lol.

Quick Reply: Wing Downforce Specs?