Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Frame damage bad or not?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2012, 11:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frame damage bad or not?

Delete
Attached Thumbnails Frame damage bad or not?-photo-2-.jpg  

Last edited by CT9ApexMR; May 22, 2012 at 03:48 PM.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 03:46 AM

I'm no expert but frame damage is never good, I just had to total my Evo because a truck hit it at like 5 mph. I had removed the spare, do the entire trunk crumpled. They said it could be fixed but I'd get killed on resale with a salvage title and it would never drive the same. Good luck man :-(
Old Apr 25, 2012, 05:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can you get any pics from the underside and from behind the fender well liners to get another angle of the frame from the other side? How straight is your evo drving after the hit?
Old Apr 25, 2012, 07:04 AM
Evolved Member

Is that the side or front? Seems like the radiator support. Can always replace it by itself. Like Tommi said, try to get more pics.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 08:07 AM

it drives perfectly straight and normal, I will post some more pics from the underside in a little bit.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
that's the passenger side engine mount you can see on the right
Old Apr 25, 2012, 08:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
A good body shop will pull that right back. Just had my car fixed and it was worse than that.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 08:24 AM

yea it can deff be fixed back to new... frame damage only really cripples a car when they hit struts and alighnment areas..its a B*&^% to try to get it back perfect
Old Apr 25, 2012, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cut and weld a tubular front support. Lighter and stronger....We have the technoligy to make it Stronger, Faster....na na na na na na na

If they total it, I would take that cash and buy it back for a build.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 09:47 AM
Evolving Member

Yup that would be your passenger side frame rail if I am looking at it correctly. Thats your AC and power steering lines correct? That can be pulled back. It bending right at the crease might make it a little harder to give that a good wack with a baby sledge when your pulling it back. The motor should be pulled out of the car realistically to have access to that spot.

You can sell it to me! I would be interested in that post more pictures! from under the car, side, door gaps, roof and what not.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 01:20 PM

HHAHAHAHAHA sell it to me, no, i know it wasn't to bad. No im not gonna go through insurance. Im just gonna go up to SA (santa ana holmes) and have them pull fix the frame, then upgrade! Thanks for the input!
Old Apr 26, 2012, 01:46 PM
Evolving Member

see that, I just created some motivation!

Old Apr 26, 2012, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CT9ApexMR
HHAHAHAHAHA sell it to me, no, i know it wasn't to bad. No im not gonna go through insurance. Im just gonna go up to SA (santa ana holmes) and have them pull fix the frame, then upgrade! Thanks for the input!
And this, folks, is why half our cars were smashed at one point but have clean titles/Carfax reports.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Blue91lx
And this, folks, is why half our cars were smashed at one point but have clean titles/Carfax reports.
I hear that, When I pulled my front bumper off to replace my ic, I noticed the frame is painted black on one side and is painted apexi silver on the other side... car fax was clean... car was bought stock with 11,000 mls, just goes to show you.... you never really know what your going to get...sigh

Still not sure if mine was hit or not but have to wonder with the paint...

No biggy at all, anything can be fixed for a price.. damages definently doesnt look too bad at all.

This would be the proper fix (getting frame pulled back to spec)
Just an idea of how its done
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfPkCfT1YMY

The budget way would to replace the front section with a tubular front frame as already mentioned, lighter, cheaper and stronger for sure, good luck
Old Apr 27, 2012, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by Blue91lx

What would you do if you were in my situation? Dont have full coverage because: 1 Never been in an accident in my life. 2. I got a DUI 5 years ago so its super high.

I do have an idea. Drop my insurance, get new insurance with full coverage then wait two weeks then claim it. I know for a fact that they never come out and look at the car, just ask for the info on it. I was kidding about the Santa Ana thing, i would never take an EVO there. Then when I do claim it I will just say that I am going to my own body shop and they will cut me a check. . . . . . I know its shady but those damn insurance companies rape us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Frame damage bad or not?