Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Somebody Tried to Steal My Evo!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2012, 12:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vivid Racing
Check out the12volt.com and bcae.com those sites will help a ton. The only difficult part about alarms is remote start. If you don't want that, it's super easy. If you can install a CD player, you can install an alarm. Add a tilt sensor to trigger the alarm if someone jacks it up. This will alert you to someone trying to take your wheels or tow the car. Also, get the 2-way pager. Nobody pays attention to alarms but when your keychain starts vibrating and beeping, you'll know your baby's being tampered with.

Here's some tips. It makes the install take a lot longer, but it also makes the car a lot harder to steal.
  • 1st off, add a pair of air horns to the system. On the siren output (brown wire on Viper/Python/Avital/Directed systems), add a relay. use this relay to trigger the air horns and the alarms siren. Put one air horn inside the fender liner and the other under the dash on the drivers side. I use the cheap kit from Harbor Freight that includes 2 air horns and the mini compressor. Thieves don't want to listen to an air horn going off inches from their face while they try to disarm your alarm. Add a Piezo siren if you really hate thieves. Also, hide the alarm siren somewhere creative in the engine bay. And hide the wiring too.
  • Put the alarm module behind the gauge cluster, and run all of your wire inside loom. Run this loom into the factory harness. Make it look as OEM as possible. If you really want to get crazy, you can de-pin the wires at the module and switch them around. Experienced thieves know which color wires do what on most alarms. Switch the pins, and those colors no longer do what the thieves planned. I wouldn't try this on your 1st install, though. Putting the module behind the cluster or somewhere else hard tor each makes their job even harder. Try not to tap your wires in the usual spots. Follow the wires down-stream and tap them there. Again, this makes the thieves work harder.
  • Add a battery backup to the alarm. Put the battery far from the module and hide the wires in OEM loom.
  • Replace all mounting hardware for the ECU with weird hardware. Get creative on methods to secure the ECU plugs from being disconnected. This makes it harder/more time consuming for them to swap the ECU.

We carry car audio/security stuff now. Let me know if we can help you get your hands on any components. I recommend looking at the Python and Avital lines from Directed Electronics. Directed (aka DEI) makes Viper, and their lower end lines are just as good as Viper but usually lack the really baller features. I've owned Python and Viper alarms and both were great. The Python/Avital/Hornet/etc is cheaper than Viper, and just as reliable. Unless you need to remote start the car from your smart phone, you'll be happy with a lower end DEI unit.

If I think of anything else, I'll add it. I know it's a lot, but every little step will slow the thief down and make him re-think his decision to take your car. A thief is gonna go for the easiest victim. The trick is to make your car too much work to take.
That was extremely helpful thank you!
Old Jun 12, 2012, 09:51 PM

dam that sucks, no worse feeling than to have your car stolen
Old Jun 12, 2012, 11:55 PM
Evolving Member

alarm and quick release steering wheel
Old Jun 13, 2012, 12:10 AM
Evolving Member

I have the gps tracker from garmin.

It cost 199 it comes with a year subscription already and 50 bucks a year after that.

Also you have to buy a cord for 30 bucks. Then connect it to a power source and hide it somewhere bammmmmmm. It works for me and send you a text every time you move it out of a fence you make online kinda like a digital fence.

Also works great for slipping it into your girls car hahahahaha I've had buddies do it
Old Jun 13, 2012, 02:30 AM
Evolved Member

Vivid Racing, thank you very much for the helpful tips. Hope the OP gets the line straight with "midnight"
Old Jun 13, 2012, 03:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by njboy
The immobilizer has saved many an Evo I'm sure. But as more thieves learn about this car and info on the Internet it's time to add more security measures. I know I will as a read more threads like this one.
Go multi-layered because time is the enemy of a car thief. The longer he has to figure out the puzzle the more frustrated and scared he gets.

well said.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 06:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evostacio
I have the gps tracker from garmin.

It cost 199 it comes with a year subscription already and 50 bucks a year after that.

Also you have to buy a cord for 30 bucks. Then connect it to a power source and hide it somewhere bammmmmmm. It works for me and send you a text every time you move it out of a fence you make online kinda like a digital fence.

Also works great for slipping it into your girls car hahahahaha I've had buddies do it
Get the Garmin it's worth the subcription.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 07:30 AM

Wow good thing it wasnt a honda !
Old Jun 21, 2012, 08:39 AM
Evolving Member

damn theives