Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

So, EVO Motor Swaps?

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2012, 02:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is the only real swap I've ever seen in an evo before.. I feel that it's a bastardizing of an evo but whatever you're into.
Old May 23, 2012, 08:52 PM
Evolved Member

Well if you thought that was bad...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70yoUekHWIo
Old May 23, 2012, 09:21 PM
Evolving Member

Personally, I want a way overpowerd mighty max pickup, with a build like my Evo just got.
Old May 23, 2012, 09:34 PM
Evolving Member

Location: Detroit metro area Michigan/Washington DC metro area
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
@AndyCT9, what has been seen cannot be unseen... DAFAQ did i just watch in that video? please post more.... boxer powered Evo. just seems like a step backwards to me
Old May 23, 2012, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lol at the LS swap. Those V8's are overrated. And the Subaru? hahaha, let's replace the bullet proof motor with a crap one.

Sense<money in these two cases.
Old May 23, 2012, 10:14 PM

Fail
Old May 23, 2012, 10:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by USCGSAM
@AndyCT9, what has been seen cannot be unseen... DAFAQ did i just watch in that video? please post more.... boxer powered Evo. just seems like a step backwards to me
It's pretty out of it, what I want to know is how the **** did they fit it in there?

Shifting the trans for longitudinal mount = ****ing mission

Mounting engine with trans in transverse setup = completely messed up, if it will even fit

Old May 23, 2012, 10:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts
Nissan put the 350z engine in an Altima but it lost power because they had to mount it horizontally. If the tools and parts are there then might as well do it...
Old May 23, 2012, 10:34 PM
Evolving Member

Location: Detroit metro area Michigan/Washington DC metro area
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
things like this make me happy when nissan does this :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZbffdYDpKg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM81mUssFzY
Old May 23, 2012, 10:39 PM
Evolved Member

Since our local car industry is based on imports (from all over the world), we have resources to do a lot a big swaps here. I've seen 2JZGTE AE86 Truenos and A60 Carinas, 1JZGTE R34 Skyline, 3VZFE (3L V6) SW20 MR2, 1UZFE (lexus V8) in supras/hilux utes/surf 4X4s and rotaries in anything a rotor fan can get his hands on.

I don't see many swaps into evos though (plenty of 4G63s into others though), I guess the engine bay isn't overly accommodating and the powerplant that is already in there is pretty damn good already.
Old May 23, 2012, 10:45 PM

that car was posted on https://www.facebook.com/#!/modernautomotiveperformance and the dude in the comments said it was built as a purpose built drift car.

why do people always consider something dumb or horrible when its different??

Last edited by StarScrm; May 23, 2012 at 10:47 PM.
Old May 24, 2012, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by StarScrm
that car was posted on https://www.facebook.com/#!/modernautomotiveperformance and the dude in the comments said it was built as a purpose built drift car.

why do people always consider something dumb or horrible when its different??
No people say its dumb because its dumb, not because its different. Taking a AWD car built around handling and throwing a giant lump of American metal into it and converting to RWD is just stupid. Why not just use a Corvette? The chassis is built for it, and has the proper wheelbase to handle it. I know that the drift scene wants something "different" for the sake of being different, but a RWD drift Evo is retarded imo.
Old May 24, 2012, 08:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PatricksEvilEvo
I saw an evo 8 a few years ago with an LS1 in it, custom drive shaft right to a solid posi rear end. If you have the machines, extra hands, you can weld and you have a lift it wouldn't be too hard. Everyone at my shop has been trying to talk me into doing this for a while now since we have the motor, tranny, and a custom drag racing driveshaft shop next door. I like the 4g63 but I'm sick of people thinking "fast and furious" when I pull up. Becides working for Harley-Davidson and driving ricers don't really mix so I'd like to do the swap someday.
Why not get a new 5.0 or SS instead of doint the swap? If you want to fit in than those 2 are a good route for the "Harley/muscle" crew
Old May 24, 2012, 12:04 PM

I completely agree, Personally I am a huge fan of the LS Series motors. They have definitley proven their point. But to take it and put it in an Evo or any other awd car and getting rid of the awd makes this car not an Evo anymore. It would make so much more sense to go get a camaro or some other redneck F-Body lol jk
Or if you are stuck on swapping a v-8 into an import platform do it in a car that is already rwd like a rx-7 or 240sx. Just makes more since IMO.........
Old May 24, 2012, 12:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Poor evo is ruined.

Quick Reply: So, EVO Motor Swaps?