Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

So, EVO Motor Swaps?

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2012, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What id like to see is a Evo IX Mivec engine in a small britsh car, IE. 72 Triumph Spitfire with a working AWD system. Do you know how fast that thing be? the little spitifires weights in @ 1500-1700 pounds!!! Even after you alter the frame and add the AWD system youd still be able to mange under 2000 pounds if you had a minor 500 HP Evo engine in it that be 500HP to 1700 pounds, better Power to weight Ratio then a Veyron, now If your really crazy put in a built up Evo engine with 700-900 HP and have a 1-2 ratio!!

Last edited by blowngasket; May 24, 2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old May 24, 2012, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

That new Pikes Peak Electric car reminds me of something similar. Lightweight purpose built and AWD. May be some prototyping work for the XI going on there as well. Who knows?
Old May 25, 2012, 06:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sad to see people feel that way instead of wanting to learn more about it or Embracing another's love of the EVO body styling and wanting to push it into another venue of motorsports.
Old May 25, 2012, 09:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by blowngasket
What id like to see is a Evo IX Mivec engine in a small britsh car, IE. 72 Triumph Spitfire with a working AWD system. Do you know how fast that thing be? the little spitifires weights in @ 1500-1700 pounds!!! Even after you alter the frame and add the AWD system youd still be able to mange under 2000 pounds if you had a minor 500 HP Evo engine in it that be 500HP to 1700 pounds, better Power to weight Ratio then a Veyron, now If your really crazy put in a built up Evo engine with 700-900 HP and have a 1-2 ratio!!
I've been saying for years, 4G63T in a Super 7.
Old May 25, 2012, 10:04 PM
Evolving Member

My uncle has a pair of old MGB GT's that he has been going to restore for ~20 years now. They both run and the sheetmetal is in pretty good shape but they both need work. Depending on how things work out when my contract overseas ends I might try to get him to sell me one and put a 4G in it.

Though, I don't really think he will sell me one if he finds out what I plan on doing.
Old May 25, 2012, 11:00 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by blackenedwings
No people say its dumb because its dumb, not because its different. Taking a AWD car built around handling and throwing a giant lump of American metal into it and converting to RWD is just stupid. Why not just use a Corvette? The chassis is built for it, and has the proper wheelbase to handle it. I know that the drift scene wants something "different" for the sake of being different, but a RWD drift Evo is retarded imo.
Now that's a real post! Noobs take note.
Old May 26, 2012, 05:04 AM
Evolved Member

People will do something different for the sake of being different. No matter how much it defies logic and common sense.
Old May 26, 2012, 04:13 PM
Evolving Member

I would rather have a rwd 4g63 evo than an LS swap rwd evo, not that I would ever go that route. On the motor swap topic though, I do have a soft spot for 2jz s2000's
Old May 26, 2012, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
to each his own. i was never a fan of when people do this to the RX7s most definitely not a fan of evos taking this route
Old May 26, 2012, 08:01 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by StarScrm
Sad to see people feel that way instead of wanting to learn more about it or Embracing another's love of the EVO body styling and wanting to push it into another venue of motorsports.
Drifting isn't a motorsport.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...31&postcount=9
Originally Posted by Jon Bogert
You're a figure skater. You practice and practice and become a better figure skater. You compete nationally, internationally, and ultimately in the Olympics. You're so good, other figure skaters look at you with envy.

And then an ice hockey player skates over and calls you a [wimp] (edited to remove more accurate, but censored, terminology).

And he's right.

Welcome to the prestige of drifting.
It's judged, not timed.

I'd love to know what the weight distribution ends up being. That seems like the biggest downside of going RWD, other than the obvious. A 61/39 car does not seem like a great candidate for a RWD conversion.
Old May 26, 2012, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

The 2J has to be the most bastardized motor on another planet.
Old May 26, 2012, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Butt Dyno

It's judged, not timed.
I find that description of drifting to be very accurate. However I don't believe that saying it is not a motorsport is fair.

I define motorsport as the use of a vehicle's performance in a competitive atmosphere. It doesn't matter whether it is measured by exact figures or by judges who have been given a set of criteria and use their own opinions.

Yes it is comparable to figure skating, but figure skating is still a sport.
Old May 26, 2012, 09:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Butt Dyno

It's judged, not timed.

I'd love to know what the weight distribution ends up being. That seems like the biggest downside of going RWD, other than the obvious. A 61/39 car does not seem like a great candidate for a RWD conversion.
id honestly be surprised if the ls1 weighed more then the 4g63. i did an ls1 swap into a s13 240sx, and gained 20lbs overall. thats an iron block/head ka24de with timing chain and 5 speed compared to a 346 5.7 liter aluminum ls1 and t-56 transmission. that 20lbs was definitely the transmission as its easily 40lbs over the 5 speed it replaced.

i wouldnt waste my time swapping an ls1 in an evo, the 4g63 makes plenty of torque and the all wheel drive is amazing as far as traction is concerned.

"to each his own. i was never a fan of when people do this to the RX7s most definitely not a fan of evos taking this route."

i dont know why you wouldnt be a fan of an engine that is 10x more reliable, creates about 100 ft lbs more torque throughout the ENTIRE rpm range, and gets better gas mileage.

i'll also say this, EVERY single time i am out at the track a rotary engined car blows up. i am not joking every time one goes bra bra bra bra vrooommm BOOOM! and oil is everywhere on the track. i dont agree with an evo swap but god damn the rx-7 chassis deserved better!
Old May 26, 2012, 09:33 PM

I like the ls motor in rx7's (built,tracked a lsx fd) and other rwd imports that have crappy oem powerplants, but makes less sense when you have a capable engine with awd

Last edited by turboGarrett; May 26, 2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old May 26, 2012, 11:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I've decided that IF I had an:

-Extra Evo Shell
-Extra LS1/Megasquirt System
-Extra T56
-Extra Ford 9"

Then I'd totally do this just to anger everyone.

Oh, and I'd stance it.

#hellaflush

Quick Reply: So, EVO Motor Swaps?