Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Alternator

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2012, 10:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Alternator

Ok so need to go ahead and replace the alternator on my 9. Price wise the alternator doesnt seem to cost **** about $100 no biggy. However looking around replacing it seems like a absolute ***** and something that requires either a lot of time or the right set of tools. Everyone says a engine hoist really helps because lifting the engine makes it vastly easier to get to it.

Compared to changing the alternator on GST/X DSM where you remove the fire wall and the front tire to reach to the side.

How hard would you say it is comparing?

The dsm took me 4 hours the first time and like 1 hour the next time I did it.

What I wanna know is how many man hours does any manual claim it to be. Because if its not **** in man hours it sounds like its worth it to pay for it. That way I dont have to deal with it and my car will be ready when i go home next weekend.

Btw if this is in the wrong selection sorry.I just didnt think it should go into general management and tuning since its no tuning at all.

Also if its moved can someone send me a pm so i have a clue as to where to look at where it was moved :P

Thanks.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 10:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The right set of tools are needed! Alot goes into it for the first time! I didnt need an engine hoist tho! I got mine out though the bottom and by the oil pan! It may sound scary to remove the axle but that was the easy part of it! Getting the axle nut i believe off was the ***** for me. I think its a 32mm Idk I did it last winter! I tried alot of things to get it off! Then It finally let go! GL
Old Sep 15, 2012, 05:46 PM

So no other thoughts on this guys? Just power threw it and do it?
Old Sep 15, 2012, 08:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I did the same steps, took axle out, dropped downpipe and shimmied the alternator out from the bottom. It wasn't as bad as I heard surprisingly. Good luck with it.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 09:03 AM

Well after more research my alternator is fine but my battery just died. Its less than a year old. I guess i could assume it was just cause the car was sitting so long and not getting turned on much but, im finding it hard to believe that something isnt killing the battery. Might be my electric boost controller?