Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Failed Emissions because is not ready

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2012, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Failed Emissions because is not ready

So I drive an 05 Evo MR with around 350hp. I bought it from a guy where in his area they don't require emissions, I tried taking it to emissions and it failed because is wasn't ready.
So I drove the car for another 400 miles and took it there to get it re-test. It failed again because it says not ready again, apparently the EGR valve and the oxygen sensors are not ready.

Can someone please advice me on what to do?? I need to get a tag for my car soon!

By the way, the check engine light is not on or any other light.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 03:19 PM

Take it to your tuner, they will be able to fix that.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You may want to make sure there wasn't some sort of O2 delete or something the previous owner may have tweeked or his tuner changed in the ecu...seeing how the previous owner didn't have to worry about smogging the evo...this could very well be the case.

He may have deleted his egr setup too...not sure....

I would consider taking it to a shop (reputable evo shop if you can) and have them give it a once over to see if they find anything. Just tell them you failed emissions twice and about the egr and o2 sensor not being ready.

Keep us posted on your solution!!
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
The car was properly tuned with the "old" (pre 2008?) way of turning off the check engine light which incorrectly set monitors off. As said above, getting it reflashed with the newer method should have it pass.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 12:14 AM

Hey. My friend had the same exact problem. It turns out the tuner turned off the rear o2 sensor to prevent the check engine light from coming on. We tried driving hundreds of miles and it was still "not ready". Check if your exhaust has a fouler, if it doesn't and your check engine light isn't on, your rear o2 is probably turned off. (Assuming you had a test pipe in the first place). Any tuner should be able to help you solve this issue.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 12:25 AM
Evolving Member

Hey man I had that same problem wirh my 03 evo VIII you need to take it to your tuner and have them tune it cuz like did with mine and stated above they deleted some codes so that the check engine light doesn't come on and I have a test pipe instead a tuner can fix that really quick for you hope this helps and good luck
Old Sep 18, 2012, 07:10 AM

The previous owner had the car tuned at Top Speed. When a shop tunes a car do the guarantee it will pass emissions?
Old Sep 18, 2012, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by mr-roy
The previous owner had the car tuned at Top Speed. When a shop tunes a car do the guarantee it will pass emissions?
No quite the opposite.

In any event, from what I've gathered trying to get my car emissions ready..

If you've got any kind of exhaust system that either deleted the cat or replaced it with a high flow type, your car would have thrown a code. Two ways to get rid of that code are a: a tuner used an ecu flash or other similar method to turn the rear O2 sensor off or tuning the SES light off or b: they used a mechanical fix to back the O2 sensor away from the higher flow stream so that it doesn't read out of spec.

Look in the how to forum and you'll see links for the mechanical fix. A quick peak at your exhaust can tell you if your car had it done.

Either way find a good tuner with a good reputation and make friends. If they've got experience with DSMs in general and or EVOs in particular the can help you with your issues.

Keep in mind that if they tuned out the code, just altering that one code alone may not solve your issue, it will probably open the door to other issues that will thow the SES codes. Untill they are all resolved and you've driven the car for about 30 miles you won't be code free, all systems ready.

I also suggest if you're driving a tuned EVO go out and buy a scanner, you can get away with a cheaper model that will let you read the codes etc. In a tuned car a SES code could mean a minor inconvenience.... or pending disaster.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 08:45 AM

Easiest thing to do is to use ECUflash to modify the ECU to not throw any emissions codes AND to be in the ready state at all times. You will need to buy/borrow a Tactrix cable to access the ECU. Check out this link: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...us-mrfred.html
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
patch force it and be done.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:00 PM

Ok, so I went to the shop yesterday (Top Speed) and the said they could replace the EGR valve (very pricey), or replace my o2 simulators ($150). They said I can replace either one and I might pass, but they can't guarantee it. I made a similar thread on Evoatlanta, and everyone recommeds to do a tephra v7. I have no idea what that is but apparently it will help it pass.

What do you guys think is the best route for me?
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:08 PM

Take it back to the tuner, Tephra is a tuning software you will upload to your ECU. There is a way to do what is called a "patch force" which will tell the computer that your car is ready. If there is another tuner in your area try them, or there are many reputable e-tuners on here that I am sure could help you get a patch pretty easy. Do you have a tatrix cable?

Dont go fixing things that arent broken.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

mr-roy, please do not let anyone sell you anything! With the TephraMod everyone is talking about, you can force the car to pass ALL tests.

I don't have any EGR or emissions hardware even installed in my car, and I pass all emissions tests.

-Acree
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:28 PM

Thanks to both of you guys, now the question is how much does this cost??
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

It's super expensive...
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...hramod-v7.html

And by super expensive, I mean absolutely free.

-Acree

Quick Reply: Failed Emissions because is not ready