Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Cleaning headlights?

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2013, 07:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good information here.
Old May 10, 2013, 08:02 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by matrho2792
For anybody that has an issue with headlights sealing and has had water get into the housings and make water spots on the inside lens. Go buy a bottle of everclear, its 190 proof or 95% pure alcohol. Since it is so close to lab grade alcohol it won't damage paint or plastic. Just pour a little in the lense, swish it around and pour out the excess. The rest will dissolve leaving a clean lens. Best of all you'll have the rest of the bottle to drink
sounds like a win/win to me!
Old May 11, 2013, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont know how many times i have answered questions like these. Everyone says the same things like i use this and then do it again every so often. Im here to tell you i have used everything mentioned and none of it lasts foreverexcept one method i have found to work. If it is on the inside it will be fine to bake them and get them apart just dont be stupid and set the oven to broil. Set the oven on warm or around 220 if there is no warm. Wet a washcloth thats big enough to cover the clear lens and place over it as you bake the headlighht. I would try heating for ten minutes and then try prying it apart. Once you get the lens off be careful not to get any silicone on the lens. If you do have oxidation on the inside or outside here is whhat you do now... take it to any paint/body shop and have them clear the headlight with uv protected clear coat. Aan easy way to test this to see if it will work before doing so is run water over the lens. If the yellow goes away and its crystal clear clearcoat will work. Also when you go to put the lens back on wipe it with rubbing alcohol to remove dirt or fingerprints, and push the lens back in place as best you can, return it to the oven like before for 10 min pull it out and continue pushing it together until its in. To many people go buy silicone and glob it on and makes a mess when pushing the pieces back together and just looks like ****. As long as u dont scrape all of the old silicone off the headlights shouldnt leak or allow water in.
Old May 11, 2013, 07:56 PM

I tried the 3M headlight restoration kit. ... but that didnt work, Im gonna jump on this everclear
Old May 12, 2013, 05:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I need to fix mine because after painting my headlights I can see all the fading and the lens. I already tried rubbing compound and polishing compound and they still look like crap.