Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

#8 fuse keeps blowing

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2013, 11:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
#8 fuse keeps blowing

My friend go on his car and we exited the freeway. We sat at the exit ramp for 5 min and all of a sudden, car shuts off. I looked around and found that fuse 8 blew so we replaced it.

When we put in a new fuse, we just turn it to the on position and it blows right away.
I disconnected the crank angle sensor and it still blows.
I disconnected all O2 sensors and it still blows.
Disconnected the EGR valve and it still blows.
Disconnected cam angle sensor and it blows.

We were limited tools to what we had in the trunk so we couldn't keep going. Trying to figure out what it causing this short. I checked all the cables running around the car and I don't see anything. Just this morning, we drove it for a good 2 hours towards the vacation spot so it was running just fine. He did no prior modding except waxing the car before we left. What could I do more to find out what the issue is.
Old May 20, 2013, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Piro Fyre
My friend go on his car and we exited the freeway. We sat at the exit ramp for 5 min and all of a sudden, car shuts off. I looked around and found that fuse 8 blew so we replaced it.

When we put in a new fuse, we just turn it to the on position and it blows right away.
I disconnected the crank angle sensor and it still blows.
I disconnected all O2 sensors and it still blows.
Disconnected the EGR valve and it still blows.
Disconnected cam angle sensor and it blows.

We were limited tools to what we had in the trunk so we couldn't keep going. Trying to figure out what it causing this short. I checked all the cables running around the car and I don't see anything. Just this morning, we drove it for a good 2 hours towards the vacation spot so it was running just fine. He did no prior modding except waxing the car before we left. What could I do more to find out what the issue is.
What does the #8 fuse do? I mean... obviously there's a short somewhere, or at least not a constant ground.
Old May 22, 2013, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ProPilot04
What does the #8 fuse do? I mean... obviously there's a short somewhere, or at least not a constant ground.
It protects a lot of things. I found this list somewhere on EvoM but I don't know if there's more.

UPDATE:
We finally got the car towed to his house. I was able to mess around with it a little like take out the relays and turning the key to ON. So far, I removed the immobilizer relay and to my surprise, the fuse didn't pop (it was even a 2A fuse at that since we were running out of fuses). Decided to swap a relay with another relay in the car and it popped. They even swapped the immobilizer relay before from a working Evo and it still popped. What does that mean?

I even checked the wires around the ECU and it seemed like something was spliced there. He told me the car previously had Lo-Jack and those were the spliced wires for it. I don't know if those spliced wires would cause a short since we drove it a good 2 hours and the car was working perfectly.

Also, can anyone tell me what should not be working without the immobilizer? I know the fuel pump isn't working (which it shouldn't be with the immobilizer) because of it but I'm wondering what else does it keep disabled?
Old May 23, 2013, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Frankly, I don't know much about the immobilizer, but are you sure you've got the proper sized fuse in it?

I'm guessing yes... but just in case. Do the splices look like they could be causing a short at all? Perhaps poor contact?

It's strange that the car would work for a few hours, and then blow. Logically... that leads me to believe that either

A. Something got shaken up, and is now shorting or...
B. The LoJack is still somehow functioning, and you drove to a point that it decided it didn't want you to drive anymore? Though, admittedly... I'm not certain how LJ works.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 06:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the same problem with my evo and it was my rear o2 sensor wires shorting on my floor pan