Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Stock Evos

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2013, 07:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock Evos

Who here has got a factory evo still? I guess im just surprised because i picked up an 03 Evo8 about a month ago and it was completely stock, even the cd player with only 49k miles. Im wondering how often this happens or if a lot of people keep their evos stock like that
Old Nov 11, 2013, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
When I bought my evo I thought it's bone stock.went to tuning shop and when they plugged in to ecu I was told somebody already been here.it was converted back to stock clean way.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by egis
When I bought my evo I thought it's bone stock.went to tuning shop and when they plugged in to ecu I was told somebody already been here.it was converted back to stock clean way.
^ This... The vast majority of people put their car back to stock before selling it. Generally, the aftermarkets parts do not help the sale and the individual can make some money from selling the parts.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 07:41 AM

Really? I might have to get that checked out then. Because i was just so surprised to find one that looked like it had been so well taken care of because most of the evos ive found were already built or had a lot of miles on them
Old Nov 11, 2013, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
I just bought my 05 Evo VIII MR and it is completely bone stock with 75k miles.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm guilty of returning vehicles to stock before I sell them. It's the only way to make money back on modifications and you just have to keep every stock part and be willing to put in the work. I never claim a vehicle to be stock when I sell it though, the buyer will know it's been modified and returned to stock
Old Nov 11, 2013, 08:19 AM

Ronaldo9, how do you like the MR? I looked for one because i wanted the 6 speed but i have been hearing that they are garbage??
Old Nov 11, 2013, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
I absolutely love my MR. The car was definitely well taken care of and unmolested because it shifts beautifully and I like the short gears. I believe the 6 speed gets a bad reputation from the drag strip guys as I don't think it holds the power like the 5 speed transmissions above a certain level. I only plan on doing bolt-ons and the car will probably never see the drag strip or 400hp. I will be keeping the 6 speed.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 08:25 AM

My 06 MR is stock besides a Viper alarm and I'm almost 100% sure it's always been stock.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Getting harder and harder to find stock ones as the price gets cheaper.

I had a chance to buy an all stock 04 white rs three years ago. I was stubborn as was the dealer, I wouldnt pay an extra 500, and he wouldnt come down an extra 500, so I walked away from the deal. Sometimes I wish I would have just given in and gotten it.....but who am I kidding, I would have modded it anyways lol.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't regret and I didn't feel bad at all that my car was converted back to stock.as long as every bolt and nut was in the right place why not.plus dealer didn't know it as well.I got a good deal,car wasn't beat to $hit,so I bought it.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 08:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've done very little to mine. K&N and cop ignition. Rear lsd fix. Bought it off the lot. I also had the clutch pill taken out because I hated the unpredictability of the clutch engagement, but thats it. It's been a tank.

Also it's been discussed many times before that the 6-speed is not weak in any sense of the word. That's seems to be a rumor that spread more by speculation.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
My car is stock. I bought it new on a whim after a test drive. I liked the handling. That handling has saved my bacon because I have twice been run off of the interstate and into the weeds, one time by a trucker and the other by a lady in a large sedan. With the trucker I just stayed in the grass and passed him. Try that with another car.

What I love about an engine with cast pistons is changing oil, driving 3,000 miles while never pulling the dipstick and at next oil change finding the oil level still well above the add oil line. Plus me being an old guy I don't need more power. I drive too fast as it is.

Where I think the stock Evo shines is on long trips. I love the seats. The seats in most cars kill my back. In the Evo I am comfortable all day. In my WRX I have to get out after 45 miles or I will be walking stooped over for three days. And my Evo has cruise. I can't imagine any Evo without it. I use it in town driving 30 mph. Set the cruise at 30 and never get a speeding ticket on streets with a 25 mph speed limit.

It also has a decent trunk and a large back seat. I look at other cars the same size and the back seat is a joke. I'm 6' and I can put a tall person behind me and they still have leg room. I don't see how the Evo's interior space could be improved. The radio sucks, the A pillars are too thick and the gas tank too small but that is little stuff.

My car has been repair free except for a failed front strut. I bought a used one from someone on this list. Actually I got four corners of suspension for 200 bux – spare parts. Then at 88K the clutch finally let go. So, for the first time in 10 years I got to get out the serious tools. The job was hard enough to be serious fun.

So now my car is in the sweet point of its life, what “Eric the Car Guy” calls a reliable POS. No need to worry about the paint or interior anymore but chase rust and throw money at tires, suspension and engine room to keep the vehicle as dependable as when new. When the engine finally needs rebuilding it will be receiving another set of cast pistons.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 10:17 AM

Thats awesome. Im glad to get so much feedback on everybodies cars. I wanna do minor works to mine but idk what will be best. For now im just thinking intake and exhaust. But im not sure how much work i will need to do if i upgrade anything else. I dont want mass ho gains but id like a little more pull here and there
Old Nov 11, 2013, 11:54 AM

hey! i got a stock one myself! how do you enjoy your car? yeah i agree with everybody else, i like mine stock. it gives enough pull for the highway and some spirited driving!

Quick Reply: Stock Evos