Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

MAP REV3 vs Curt brown intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2014, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MAP REV3 vs Curt brown intake manifold

First of all,

yes i have done my research, yes i have talked to both companies, and yes i know there is a large price difference.

My question is which is better for not only intake manifold porting, but turbo and throttle body porting. I have heard good things about both companies as far as there porting. And after talking with both companies they both seem like good options. Please forget about the price, i truly want to know which is better for performance! I am trying to get the most out of my setup.

Id like to here from people that have first hand experience with these companies, rather than "i heard....." or "i read..."

Thank you!
Old Feb 11, 2014, 07:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
It just so happens I just received my cylinder head back from Curt Brown and my Intake Manifold from MAP.

I chose Curt Brown to due the head work thanks to his documented testing with Buschur here, and one of my bodies was instrumental in dropping the idea. I chose MAP for the intake manifold due to their cutting it open and getting all 'up in there'.

Pictures - I apologize if some looked like they were taken with a potato.

MAP's Customer service was great as usual, the IM took about 3 weeks on the money from order to receipt. Curt Brown put up with my random emails and it was 11 days from the time he received it to the time it was back in my hands.

I'll be pairing it with the following:
2.23L 4G64
-159mm R&R I-Beam Rods
- Wiseco WSC-K667M87AP - 87mm 9:5.1
- 94mm Manley Billet Crank
- FP DBB Red
- MAP Shortrunner manifold
- Toxicfab O2 Dump
- 3" with no obstructions to the rear
- 65mm MILSPEC Throttle Body
- GSC R2s
- E85 & 93

Last edited by dr_latino999; Feb 11, 2014 at 07:30 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong either way, with that said, I personally would chose Curt Brown or, not mentioned as a choice, Buschur for any port work. Both are proven, and reasonably priced.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:37 AM
Evolving Member

When it comes to having things ported I always choose Curt Brown. His stuff is proven and the customer service, price, and turn around time is the best there is. I actually just bought an Intake Manifold to send out for his port job.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 04:35 PM

Ams intake > all
Old Feb 12, 2014, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Except the magnus that is.
Originally Posted by N1ck Z
Ams intake > all
Old Feb 12, 2014, 05:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by N1ck Z
Ams intake > all
Not so fast.

Originally Posted by David Buschur
I am not commenting on either of these manifolds, I am going to make a blank statement and you guys can use it as you want:

Quickest ET in the US is still AMS's, they had their OLD style intake on their car.

Fastest MPH in the US belonged to us for 4+ years, we had the HKS Kansai on the car.

Emery is currently the quickest running 8.7's, quickest 2 liter to date and fastest T3 and he is using the Skunk intake.

Mike at AWD has gone 8's on a BR ported stock intake manifold.

My RS has gone 9.0 at 159 on a ported stock intake and is what I currently run.

So in reality the quickest and fastest EVO run neither of these intakes in question.
We have dyno'd all of the intakes on the market with the exception of the F1.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stock ported by CBRE or MAP>anything else

$ for $ it can't be beat!
Old Feb 13, 2014, 02:38 PM

Honestly thinking about going with curt brown for all 3
Old Feb 16, 2014, 05:33 AM

CB and this is going from someone who also ports heads and intakes for a living
Old Feb 17, 2014, 01:11 PM

Good to hear!
Old Feb 18, 2014, 05:53 AM
Evolving Member

Cb intake manifold is where it's at. I just ordered mine yesterday. Great guy to deal with do yourself a favor and do the 70mm extreme manifold you won't regret it. I was all about the ams f1i until i saw scott (badevo) numbers from the ams to the Cb. Better drivability more torque and actually more power.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 06:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsiebert
I just ordered mine yesterday. Great guy to deal with do yourself a favor and do the 70mm extreme manifold you won't regret it. I was all about the ams f1i until i saw scott (badevo) numbers from the ams to the Cb. Better drivability more torque and actually more power.
You ordered yesterday but already know that the 70mm is the way to go since you have it installed, tuned, and that it gives better drivability? Haha ok
Old Feb 18, 2014, 10:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo8426
You ordered yesterday but already know that the 70mm is the way to go since you have it installed, tuned, and that it gives better drivability? Haha ok
Look at badevos comparison of the curt brown manifold to the ams f1i. Gobs more torque (driveability) and it made more power. That's the reason I went with this manifold. I've heard other reports of the exact same thing. Obviously though you haven't done your research or your smart comment wouldn't have even been posted. Sometimes all it takes is to READ before commenting.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsiebert
Look at badevos comparison of the curt brown manifold to the ams f1i. Gobs more torque (driveability) and it made more power. That's the reason I went with this manifold. I've heard other reports of the exact same thing. Obviously though you haven't done your research or your smart comment wouldn't have even been posted. Sometimes all it takes is to READ before commenting.
Yeah I have not done my research in my 8 years of ownership. Maybe you should quit being like the masses and promoting shi. you don't have proof or evidence of being a true benefit to this car. Just yesterday you wanted the AMS manifold haha. Errr mah gerd if it is such a good part cause so and so said so. Enjoy!

Last edited by evo8426; Feb 18, 2014 at 12:15 PM.

Quick Reply: MAP REV3 vs Curt brown intake manifold