Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

lifter tick suggestions on new lifters?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2014, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lifter tick suggestions on new lifters?

and also should I replace valve springs and retainers while they are in there? im running 270 cams I bought the car not knowing whats underneath the cams just wondering if anyone knows a good lifter and valvespring duo that works well with cams.. thanks!
Old Mar 10, 2014, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
There's zero tick lifters. I think gsc website has them.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 08:24 PM

GSC Zero Tick Lifters
Old Mar 10, 2014, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
The lifters get all kinds of junk in them. What scares me is the little chunks of metal. I guess better in the lifter than somewhere else.

The thing is don't ever run oil for an extended drain interval. This may cause the oil filter to bypass. I had a sludged up DSM (running crummy Mobil conventional oil did that) and my oil filter would bypass at 1800 miles. I could tell because the oil would suddenly turn dark. Soon after that I had to change lifters.

Also, some oil filters have the bypass valve on the top and some on the bottom. Run a filter that has the bypass on the top. A bypass valve on the bottom flushes all the crap in the filter into the engine if it opens. If you aren't sure about the filters you are using cut one open.

Last edited by barneyb; Mar 10, 2014 at 08:54 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 09:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I swapped to the Topline revised lifters. $100. Cheap and very quiet lifter.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by barneyb
The lifters get all kinds of junk in them. What scares me is the little chunks of metal. I guess better in the lifter than somewhere else.

The thing is don't ever run oil for an extended drain interval. This may cause the oil filter to bypass. I had a sludged up DSM (running crummy Mobil conventional oil did that) and my oil filter would bypass at 1800 miles. I could tell because the oil would suddenly turn dark. Soon after that I had to change lifters.

Also, some oil filters have the bypass valve on the top and some on the bottom. Run a filter that has the bypass on the top. A bypass valve on the bottom flushes all the crap in the filter into the engine if it opens. If you aren't sure about the filters you are using cut one open.
Do you happen to know which oil filters those might pertain too?
Old Mar 11, 2014, 09:57 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
There is a procedure for cleaning the factory lash adjusters. It involves diesel fuel. I would suggest looking into this before buying new ones.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Leonthefaded
Do you happen to know which oil filters those might pertain too?
There's more than several videos on youtube where people have cut oil filters open to show you the contents of the can. Filter elements that are solid metal on the bottom have the bypass valve at the top - usually. I say usually because I've seen at least one filter that appeared to have no bypass valve.

So, go to youtube and type in "oil filter reviews". There's one caution here - designs change and various factories may make the same brand. So two identical looking filters may be different on the inside. If you really want to know what you are getting, buy two and cut one open.