Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

MA inspection

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2014, 08:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MA inspection

I have no cat but have the code disabled, no Cel, other emissions parts still in place. Car is converted to speed density, but on stock Evo ix ecu. Can I pass inspection or do I need to convert it to maf for inspection purposes every year?
Old Jun 3, 2014, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Sheasta
I have no cat but have the code disabled, no Cel, other emissions parts still in place. Car is converted to speed density, but on stock Evo ix ecu. Can I pass inspection or do I need to convert it to maf for inspection purposes every year?
I'm not sure if they can still read the disabled code hopefully someone can chime in on that but I've used an o2 sensor spacer for the past 5 years on my test pipe and it's passed ma inspections every year.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 05:52 PM
Evolving Member

Is it tuned? I heard recently that you even need a stock rom to pass inspection.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i was just flagged for a mac inspection which is run by the state police. they wouldnt tell me why some people in another thread think that they can flag any changes in the ecu . I havnt gone in for the state inspection yet. dynotech had posted on the other thread of a car that they had done passing with speed density. could try giving them a call
Old Jun 3, 2014, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

Is it tuned? I heard recently that you even need a stock rom to pass inspection.
Yes, I've never had any issues passing inspection since I've owned my car.

Your car may pass inspection with no issues but they still flag cars for testing randomly.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 07:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
It has been quoted that they have flagged the ROM ID so a stock rom ID will pass, even if you swap the ROM ID from a tephra 88590715 to 88590014/5. Adjust your XML or if thats all you tune, or leave it and know what youre doing. Also go through the OBD force pass and make sure you dont have monitors available that shouldn't.. Post a ROM up or screen shot your settings and someone could confirm.

again, as of the last that I did read(im in a neighboring NY so I always try to be aware of my surrounding and impending rules), the rom id is what nails people, and or the available monitors.

Last edited by 211Ratsbud; Jun 3, 2014 at 07:57 PM.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 04:39 AM
Evolved Member

yea 211 is right. My car passed and was not flagged in February by chance but after doing some reading i should have adjusted the I/M tests so that not all say pass. Just the ones that the vehicle has from the factory.

here u go https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/no...refer-mac.html
Old Jun 4, 2014, 06:09 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks guys. I did come across that thread via searching, but things can change in 3 years. I guess I'll go for it and if I'm referred to Mac, then I'll convert back to maf and stock rom to be safe. Wish me luck.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 12:47 PM

Def report back

I've been passing okay these past couple years, but you always hear these rumors the state tests are getting smarter and smarter.

Thanks guys. I did come across that thread via searching, but things can change in 3 years. I guess I'll go for it and if I'm referred to Mac, then I'll convert back to maf and stock rom to be safe. Wish me luck.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 10:01 AM

Was curious if you passed?
Old Jun 17, 2014, 07:38 AM
Evolving Member

Haven't gone yet. Cars still in shop. Maybe I'll get it back this week. I'll post after I go.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

may the force be with you! lol i'm getting ready to go for a sticker myself in another month so ive been starting to do some homework on what needs to be taken care of in the ROM to not get flagged
Old Jun 17, 2014, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

you can pass without a cat or the rear O2 sensor. I am living proof. I just got my sticker a few weeks ago and dont have a rear cat or O2. You just need the rear O2 force inspection patch in your ecu, i believe thats done with tephra V7 (which is what im running). I even went to the mac station 2 years ago with tephra V7 and they passed me there when i was originally flagged.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 04:51 AM
Evolved Member

well... how did you make you?
Old Jun 23, 2014, 05:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoooB
well... how did you make you?
for my car?

ill look at my rom and see what my setting were, im on tephra though.

Quick Reply: MA inspection