Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Feedback wanted - new product development

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2004, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Feedback wanted - new product development

I’m working with a company entering the sport compact aftermarket. We have a ton of experience designing/
testing ECUs for the major automakers and are looking to use that knowledge in the next product. We’d love
to hear any ideas you may have about what features (data logging, performance measurement, tuning) you’d like
to see in an electronics product that isn’t currently available. To get started, some things we’re toying
with are a fully customizable (visually and functionally) full-color 7” LCD gauge cluster which also has
functions similar to the G-Tech unit (HP, 0-60, etc.), or possibly integrating diagnostics/tuning functions
into one of the color-screen LCD head units available from stereo companies. Any thoughts?
Old Mar 11, 2004, 11:35 AM
Evolving Member

sounds neat-O ;P
Old Mar 11, 2004, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

the gauge cluster + G-Tech LCD is a great idea, but you should consider reverse engineering the defi control-link output protocol so those of us gadget freaks with an investment in neat-o defi-link gauges aren't left in the lurch
Old Mar 11, 2004, 02:55 PM
Evolving Member

Re: Feedback wanted - new product development

Originally posted by xracer989
To get started, some things we’re toying
with are a fully customizable (visually and functionally) full-color 7” LCD gauge cluster which also has
functions similar to the G-Tech unit (HP, 0-60, etc.), or possibly integrating diagnostics/tuning functions
into one of the color-screen LCD head units available from stereo companies. Any thoughts?
I have been wondering for some time why no one has done this. With the popularity of "skinning" computer apps, you'd think it would have spilled over by now. Imagine being able to build your own display exactly the way you like it -- gauges, digital number, bars, warning lights, graphs... whatever. Computing power is so cheap nowadays you could quite easily build a nice "display computer" that could be modified via serial or usb inputs. This would appeal to both the "show and shine" as well as the "go fast" folks. Would it be possible to do a complete dash (gauge) replacement? The main problem here is two-fold, resetting the odometer and having different versions to fit all the different shapes.
Old Mar 11, 2004, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

I would like to see somebody come up with a display that shows injector duty cycle, g-force, oil temp/pressure, egt, afr, similar to the one in Skyline
Old Mar 11, 2004, 03:00 PM

exactly. it would probably be impossible to do a cluster replacement deal, because every car is different. However, putting gauges together on one rectangular screen would be cleaner and simpler than mounting 3 or 4 on the A-pillar, one on the steering wheel, etc. Mounting the screen would be a bit of an engineering challenge, but nothing insurmountable.
Old Mar 11, 2004, 08:49 PM
Evolving Member

www.ross-tech.com

make this for my car for $200, and i will buy it- refering to vag-com
Old Mar 11, 2004, 09:33 PM
Evolved Member

Don't forget wideband O2 sensor functionality. I wouldn't consider stepping into any serious custom tuning without one.
Old Mar 12, 2004, 01:30 AM
Evolving Member

it should at least show the important stuff thats not shown already, such as boost, egt, afr (wideband), along with programmable shift lights, warning points. Make sure it shows numerical values along with some kind of graphical display such as a gauge or an animated bargraph. colors and types of displays should be customizable too. I'd also leave a couple of inputs for analog voltage inputs (0 to 5V) with prgrammable ranges so people can hook up random generic sensors, without having too have the unit be meant specifically for them.

a neat a idea is to make possible to flip the image horizontally, so you can lay it facing up at the windshield and use it as a HUD. It would also be nice to upload graphics or soemthing to use as a background to the display.

as inexpensive as possible wouldn't hurt either.
Old Mar 12, 2004, 04:30 AM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally posted by Thwack
I'd also leave a couple of inputs for analog voltage inputs (0 to 5V) with prgrammable ranges so people can hook up random generic sensors, without having too have the unit be meant specifically for them.
If you were going to have open analogs, I'd recommend -10 to +10 volts. The vast majority of sensors I've used fall within the ±10 Volts range. Going 0-5 would usually require an intermediate signal processing box to center the sensor around 2.5V.
Old Mar 12, 2004, 05:46 AM
Evolved Member

I think it should have complete performance display capabilities (like the G-Tech) and also have complete OBDII capabilities with real time display options. It would be even better if you could incorporate an ECU controller like the AccessECU or the Exede. An all-in-one device with touch screen input...
Old Mar 12, 2004, 09:09 AM
Evolving Member

It would be cool if the price point is right
Old Mar 12, 2004, 09:43 AM
El Jefe

Originally posted by EVOeight
I think it should have complete performance display capabilities (like the G-Tech) and also have complete OBDII capabilities with real time display options. It would be even better if you could incorporate an ECU controller like the AccessECU or the Exede. An all-in-one device with touch screen input...
Are you willing to pay $5000 for the system?
Old Mar 12, 2004, 01:56 PM

We're also toying with leveraging the company's telematics expertise, maybe as a subscription service, where you can have monthly reports of key performance measures sent to you, have company tech people monitoring it and custom calibrating all tuning specs tailored to what you need at a given time, and also have the ability for 802.11b upload from the car to your pc. any thoughts?
Old Mar 12, 2004, 01:59 PM
El Jefe

I'd suspect that most people would be leary of having a monitoring service.

An 802.11 uplink would be a great feature for a datalogger, though. Wish some of our suppliers would use it!

Quick Reply: Feedback wanted - new product development