Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

my track day driving questions to the experianced guys

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2015, 10:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
my track day driving questions to the experianced guys

Sorry guys you might have heard some of these, but I have seen all the youtubes regarding preparing your car, I get all that, its more about being on the track for the first time with lots of cars buzzing around me.

So is there some sort of code regarding people coming up behind you, do you flick your blinker on for a few seconds to say..hey over take me on that side or hand out the window and wave them by? or do I just ignore them and stick to my line and let them find their own way around?

How about a rule regarding jamming up the inside of people in corners to overtake or do I stick to straights as a first timer? I don't want other beginners pulling over on me.

Do you ever use your horn or high beam to tell people your coming past?

Would you expect people to pull over and let you past or do you just find your own way.

If someone spins in front of you, do you swerve off the track and hit the dirt to avoid or jam on the brakes, I dont want someone smacking me up the butt

If you have a big off into the dirt and are spinning, do you hold the wheel straight or try and counter steer out of it? Should you come in and check the car or just get back on and keep hammering?

Do you bring some tools and leave them in the pits? How do you keep them safe? toolbox chained up and locked type of thing?

Should you empty your glove box and centre console? take your spare out? take your car mats out?

Full tank of fuel or less to save weight?

How much expansion in psi should you allow for in your tyres from cold to hot?

If it rains are there any rules of thumb you should be wary of? other then being careful and driving slower?

How many laps should you stay out there for as a fair session?

If there is someone causing you grief on the track, should you report it when you come in or not worry?

If my Evo goes into a slide at high speed, what would I expect regarding the active yaw? will it smack back straight again

If I go off the track into the sand and get stuck, should I get out or stay in the car?

Should I have a toe hook on each end of my car?

sorry for the dump, bit nervous and next week is my big first time, the track hasnt really sent me out anything useful other then be at the track at x, wear long cotton gear and no drinking 12 hours before etc. basic stuff.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 10:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You should probably register for the beginner class. They will teach you track etiquette and basic fundamentals.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I'll try to answer some questions based on my experience, however I'm no serious track junkie

Originally Posted by Jonno99
Sorry guys you might have heard some of these, but I have seen all the youtubes regarding preparing your car, I get all that, its more about being on the track for the first time with lots of cars buzzing around me.

So is there some sort of code regarding people coming up behind you, do you flick your blinker on for a few seconds to say..hey over take me on that side or hand out the window and wave them by? or do I just ignore them and stick to my line and let them find their own way around?

How about a rule regarding jamming up the inside of people in corners to overtake or do I stick to straights as a first timer? I don't want other beginners pulling over on me.
in a non competitive environment you don't jam up the track, you keep patient and wait for a safe time to pass effectively or NORMALLY the slower car will pull to the side and wave you past

Do you ever use your horn or high beam to tell people your coming past?
No. No one wants to cause an accident or be in one. If you're fast, normally the faster cars are waved by

Would you expect people to pull over and let you past or do you just find your own way.
Finding your own way around newbs is not a good choice, especially being a newb yourself, patients will keep you and other safe

If someone spins in front of you, do you swerve off the track and hit the dirt to avoid or jam on the brakes, I dont want someone smacking me up the butt
Its wise to keep space between each other, there is no perfect answer for this

If you have a big off into the dirt and are spinning, do you hold the wheel straight or try and counter steer out of it? Should you come in and check the car or just get back on and keep hammering?
if you are completely out of control hold steady and keep the brakes locked. ALWAYS pit your vehicle and check that it is SAFE to be back on the track, its just not your safety, its others too

Do you bring some tools and leave them in the pits? How do you keep them safe? toolbox chained up and locked type of thing?
Normally people have tools

Should you empty your glove box and centre console? take your spare out? take your car mats out?
Yes, everything should be out of your car, everything loose in every cubby. Normally no floor mats, no spare tire

Full tank of fuel or less to save weight?
Its up to you, FULL is normally how you start, you never want to run out. Through the sessions during the day it will obviously go down, never go below a 1/4 tank is my opinion

How much expansion in psi should you allow for in your tyres from cold to hot?
~2psi maybe. It something that is normally monitored because many things can impact it

If it rains are there any rules of thumb you should be wary of? other then being careful and driving slower?
Never had a rain event, not sure if you would run in the rain, if you did, I'd recommend more space, more safety

How many laps should you stay out there for as a fair session?
Common sessions are 20 mins, however this can also be 10 or 30, never seen more than 30 in a club environment... laps is dependent on time and size of track

If there is someone causing you grief on the track, should you report it when you come in or not worry?
If someone is completely reckless, Yes. Its never worth the risk for something to go unnoticed

If my Evo goes into a slide at high speed, what would I expect regarding the active yaw? will it smack back straight again
I don't have active yaw, so I won't comment

If I go off the track into the sand and get stuck, should I get out or stay in the car?
Ask the track officials. (I'd assume you stay inside the car in most cases)

Should I have a toe hook on each end of my car?
Yes

sorry for the dump, bit nervous and next week is my big first time, the track hasnt really sent me out anything useful other then be at the track at x, wear long cotton gear and no drinking 12 hours before etc. basic stuff.
Hope that helps
Old Mar 26, 2015, 06:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
^This pretty much hits all the points. The only thing all add is I have run in the wet & the passing locations changed a bit to keep people safer and be aware that, if your track has it, concrete is more slippery in the wet than pavement so be prepared.

Oh, and it's about having fun so don't take it too seriously. At the end of the day the only person you're "racing" is you.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
thanks guys, I've taken notes
Old Mar 27, 2015, 01:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
I'll take a stab at the two Joe didn't get:

Being in the Pacific NW rain is very likely for most track days before May or after September. The first thing is the tires. Many high grip tires fare poorly in the wet so you have to be aware of that. You have to be more careful on power since even with 4WD (using the term I grew up with since if your location is correct you are commonwealth like I grew up ) in the wet you can brake loose if you grab it wrong. You also need to learn how the track drains water...some drain unevenly so you can end up with places that have a lot of water (low grip) going to places with no/little water (high grip). For HPDE type stuff you drive the same basic line just slower...don't do what the pros do or even I do in the go kart where you switch unto a wet line....I think the first time I tried that with an instructor in the car I got an ear full .

This would depend on whether AYC has been modified or not. On the older Evos (VI and below) AYC is there to help you make the corner at the speed you entered but you still have to steer. Its not going to straighten the car for you....you control that with the wheel and the gas. So the trick is to NOT get into this situation. If its modified it could behave way different and the 7+ AYC is a bit different from what I remember.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 03:12 PM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Joe already answered alot of questions, but I wanted to add a few small things that I feel are important.

1. Make sure the car is mechanically sounds. Oil, coolant, tires and brakes have plenty of life, no fluid dripping anywhere.

2. You're in HPDE, which is where you learn. ITS NOT A RACE. And everyone's skill, experience, and car is different. Don't try to chase down the Miata; they can be pretty fast in the right hands. Point is, Be patient and things will come to you.

3. LISTEN TO YOUR INSTRUCTOR. Remember they have more experience than you. If you don't like their style, talk to them about it. Just remember most of them are volunteers, and their life is dependent on your ego.

4. Alittle disagreement with Joe...tire pressure can change significantly more than 2psi. It depends on conditions and driving style. As a newb, I would tell you that's the last thing to concern yourself with. Just start somewhere, and check after sessions and try to maintain the same pressures. You'll figure it out as you go.

http://bci.pca.org/links-resources/h...ay-preparation

Last edited by chu; Mar 27, 2015 at 05:02 PM.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
I can add one more thing to this discussion. I recently did a track day with my EVO for the first time and the real ball buster was having my brake fluid boil. To be fair though, I was on stock brake pads and fluid was not fresh. Make sure you do a brake fluid flush and use a high quality racing brake fluid. If during your run you feel your brake pedal starts to feel spongy, take it easy the rest of the way and pull into the pit. You don't want to hit your brake pedal only to find out you're not slowing down.