Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

8 vs 9 help

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2015, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd be happy with either, I like the 9 styling, but mostly I want the ACD, which is only available on the 05.
Old May 6, 2015, 07:34 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by Zach S
I'd be happy with either, I like the 9 styling, but mostly I want the ACD, which is only available on the 05.

2005 is the 8. 2006 which is the evo 9, also has the ACD...
Old May 6, 2015, 07:55 PM

I meant on the 8. Does the ACD actually help all that much at higher power since you already break traction in corners anyways?
Old May 6, 2015, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
What you want is an 8 RS! No need for MIVEC, ACD, power windows, ABS, power locks, blah blah blah!!!
Old May 6, 2015, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts
ACD equipped evos (05-06) have stronger transfercases than 03 and 04 models.
Old May 6, 2015, 10:29 PM

But I mean has the ACD any rel benefit for traction at higher power levels, and I would get an rs but I'm lazy, that and the lady probably would like the creature comforts almost as much as me haha
Old May 6, 2015, 11:06 PM
G20
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
just get the one with better condition and priced right. You can go wrong with either one if you like the handling, raw feeling.
Old May 7, 2015, 06:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It really depends on what you are going to do with it. The IX's are more expensive to buy and to me they have a better looking interior and exterior. If you are going to track it or make it a weekend monster then go VIII as they seem to be a little cheaper to modify since you wouldn't be dealing with the MIVEC.
Old May 7, 2015, 07:37 AM

I was told with mivec you can still keep it if you swap over the can phasers and get some aftermarket positioning sensor, I don't really care about keeping it since it'll pretty much be for tracking at the weekends
Old May 7, 2015, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
just get a 9.
Old May 7, 2015, 08:00 AM

I like the 9 for looks and mivec, but its pricier, and all I see are Mr.
Old May 7, 2015, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
..... as said, drive both, pick one.
Old May 7, 2015, 01:31 PM

OK, thanks
Old May 7, 2015, 02:51 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
in all reality i bet if you rode in either with your eyes closed, you wouldn't know the difference. if you aren't worried about squeezing every last WHP out of it, get whatever you find cheapest because it's all about aesthetics at that point, which can always be changed.

you're gonna love whichever you get.
Old May 7, 2015, 07:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I've owned an 03 VIII and after selling it, I was able to find an almost stock 06 IX MR. Just looking at production numbers for the IX, you'll be hard pressed to find something besides a 6-speed MR since there were more produced than the GSR an RS, but it's certainly not impossible if you're patient.

Here's what I do and don't like about each of the ones I've owned (sorry in advance for the novel):

2003 Evo VIII

Pro: Likely to be cheaper in price. As long as the Recaros have been kept up and aren't soiled, the blue inserts look way better than pics would suggest and are just as comfortable as a IX seat. 5 speed gear ratio was great for drag racing a full bolt-on car with the old, stock looking FP Red turbo upgrade. Had an intercooler sprayer which could be converted into a stealthy alcohol injection kit. Before ECU Flash took off you could use your old 1995 DSM ECU along with DSM Link to tune your Evo with better results until about 06-08 sometime. The 2003 model year came with HID lights. The VIII front bumper looks more ticked off and aggressive than the mature looking IX front bumper, especially with a front lip spoiler IMO. No ACD, which seemed to be a big headache back then. The factory rear wing/spoiler was all carbon fiber if I remember right. I actually liked the 6 spoke Enkei wheels that came on them. Blue-By-You was a great color that was more of a Saphire blue in person; pictures never seemed to show how cool it was and always looked like a baby blue color in pictures with lots of sunlight.

Cons: Older and likely harder to finance now. Cheap plastic used in the A/C climate control knob gears under the dash would often break (later revised plastic parts kit can be purchase to correct this). The 2 screws holding the sunroof motor would often fall out causing the sunroof not to work (easily fixed). Front bumper seemed to be not be so appealing to most once the IX hit the streets. Weak 5th gear syncros. No LSD in the transfercase. Weaker transfercases that often broke. The factory 6 spoke Enkei wheels were the heaviest wheel put on the Evo VIII's/IX's. Smaller factory turbo than other Evo's. The stock diverter/BOV leaks even at factory power levels. Leaky throttle body seals. Clear head light/tail light housings were not as appealing to some owners. Not sure if this was just something random that I ran into or not, but my factory MAF honeycomb was nearly sucked into my turbo. No factory launch control like 05-06 Evos. The factory cams seemed to be good, but a necessary mod to free up more power.

2006 Evo IX MR

Pro: Interior does seem to be more aesthetically pleasing because of the darker colored steering wheel and darker recovered Recaros (never mind the cool red stitched SE seats). Front bumper seemed to be a more mature improvement over the older VIII in comparison. Comes stock with the largest stock turbo offered for an VIII/IX. Improved metal diverter/BOV. Lighter aluminum roof on the non-sunroof GSR and MR models. Factory ralliart 3-gauge (Boost/Volt/water temp) cluster. 6 speed seems to be geared just right for all types of City/Hwy driving conditions IMO. Stronger transfer cases. Front LSD seems to help the car attack the apex of a corner better and keep it there. Lighter BBS wheels. Bilstein factory shocks for improved comfort and handling. Darker (black) head light/tail light housings seemed to be more appealing to most owners. HID headlights. Mivec seems to give the IX a slight power bump early on in the modding process thanks to advances in tuning; possibly safe to say an additional 10-15hp pretty easy.

Cons: 6 speed transmission is not as strong as the 5 speed as torque approaches 400 ft/lbs (and even at close to factory levels in some cases)due to bad oiling and smaller 3-4 gear set used in order to fit the extra gear into roughly the same size (as the 5 speed) transmission. The MR model was the most produced style of Evo IX followed by the GSR/SE/SSL/RS models respectively. Leaky throttle body seals. ACD failures seemed to be a common problem. Shorter production run in comparison to the VIII makes finding Mivec specific parts a little harder (there are ways around some things though).

This is of course not all factual, but I do think it's a fair and as unbiased account of how they stack up as you'll find. Hope it helps some.

Last edited by Boost Demon; May 7, 2015 at 08:05 PM.

Quick Reply: 8 vs 9 help