Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Another air bag recall update

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2016, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Pal215
I need to remove my dash to change my HVAC mix box due to difficult temp knob turning. That's when i'll take the dash itself into Mitsubishi and have the airbag igniter swapped.

-pal215
You are better off having them do the recall, and fix the blend door since they are in there. Save on labor which is 90% of the cost.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 10:29 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by llDemonll
good luck with that.
Originally Posted by GaBe511
You are better off having them do the recall, and fix the blend door since they are in there. Save on labor which is 90% of the cost.
True, the labor is high and I will have to vacuum the AC lines and drain the coolant, but since i'm pulling the motor for a rebuild anyway it's kind of not inconvenient.

Still, I'll get some quotes and see where I go from there. I already have the replacement parts, but they will probably charge me a coolant flush and AC dryer replacement as well as an AC vacuum/refill.

-pal215
Old Apr 13, 2016, 02:27 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just got my airbag igniter replaced and Ecm flashed no problems and looks like they did a good job
Old Apr 25, 2016, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just wanted to say I just got my airbag recall done and everything looks good.
Now I can have passengers again. Lol.
No scratches or rattles. Service guy even asked if the the car was tuned, I said yes, and then he marked the ECU recall done.
Fixed at Buhler in Eatontown, NJ, no drama.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 08:36 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by njboy
Just wanted to say I just got my airbag recall done and everything looks good.
Now I can have passengers again. Lol.
No scratches or rattles. Service guy even asked if the the car was tuned, I said yes, and then he marked the ECU recall done.
Fixed at Buhler in Eatontown, NJ, no drama.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 07:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just had mine done at bell mitsubishi off rt. 1 and 9 in nj. It was done in less than an hour. They also asked about the ecu recall but i declined it and they marked on the work order that i did not wish to do that recall and i had to sign next to it. Fortunately for me i am friends with the master tech there (zach) for anyone going in the future i would recommend asking for him. He had the dash out with no issues in less than 20 mins. Everything went perfect i could not be any happier with my visit. Not every dealer is full of animals that are careless. Especially not bell as long as zach is there. They even washed my car after haha 🍻. BELL MITSUBISHI FTW.
The following users liked this post:
EVO196 (Oct 17, 2018)
Old Sep 25, 2018, 03:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I will be contacting the dealer soon about the air bag. I don't need a grenade in my car. But is there any concern with the ecu recall if the car is 100% stock? I assume no.

Last edited by gsr1379; Sep 25, 2018 at 03:51 AM.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 11:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by gsr1379
I will be contacting the dealer soon about the air bag. I don't need a grenade in my car. But is there any concern with the ecu recall if the car is 100% stock? I assume no.
If you did not custom flash your ECU no issue at all, do also that
Old Oct 16, 2018, 04:47 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
After all this time & constant bugging from my Wife & Mother, I finally did the recall (This is my 3rd car w/AB recall

Had it done where i bought the EvO (South Coast Mitsu). Overall, no complaints. Can not see any real tell tale signs of the rework. Was peeking at the work center & the mechanic has done many of these & had the dash out quickly & took precautions against scratching the car & dash

I specifically noted that i did not want the PCM recall, but he noted it on the work order so my EvO can be cleared off the list

Some pics:

The following 2 users liked this post by MinusPrevious:
empunker (Apr 4, 2019), Is2scooby (Oct 24, 2018)
Old Oct 16, 2018, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts
Forgo to post here, I did my recall last week, told them please not to reset my ECU. Mitsubishi of Coconut creek. Representative was very knowledgeble of cars and a couple others were big fans of my car, car seemed fine when i got it back but on the second day back my Boost guage would just say 0. Open up and there is my cord some how blocked so it wasnt getting any boost, moved it around a bit and that cleared up.

Now all of a sudden in the evenings my car needs a couple cranks to start, i have never had that problem before, maybe i am paranoid but i am going to check my ROM and see if any changes were done, just seems strange.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 05:24 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
After all this time & constant bugging from my Wife & Mother, I finally did the recall (This is my 3rd car w/AB recall

Had it done where i bought the EvO (South Coast Mitsu). Overall, no complaints. Can not see any real tell tale signs of the rework. Was peeking at the work center & the mechanic has done many of these & had the dash out quickly & took precautions against scratching the car & dash

I specifically noted that i did not want the PCM recall, but he noted it on the work order so my EvO can be cleared off the list
I'm thinking about taking mine in to South Coast for the airbag. Do you recommend them over every other So Cal dealership?

Also what is the PCM recall?
Old Apr 4, 2019, 05:52 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by empunker
I'm thinking about taking mine in to South Coast for the airbag. Do you recommend them over every other So Cal dealership?

Also what is the PCM recall?
Cant tell how pleased i was w/South Coast. Cant even tell they had the whole dash off. Dont get me wrong, i watched the mechanic pull the whole thing out lol

Just make sure you dont get the ECU flash done (PCM) (if youre tuned). The Svc writer will take care of you but make sure they know, not to do the flash

I dropped it off first thing in the AM & it was done just after 1PM
empunker (Apr 4, 2019)
Old Apr 4, 2019, 08:06 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Cant tell how pleased i was w/South Coast. Cant even tell they had the whole dash off. Dont get me wrong, i watched the mechanic pull the whole thing out lol

Just make sure you dont get the ECU flash done (PCM) (if youre tuned). The Svc writer will take care of you but make sure they know, not to do the flash

I dropped it off first thing in the AM & it was done just after 1PM
Cool I'm going to give them a shot at it... my car is still on the stock OEM tune so it shouldn't hurt to have the PCM flash done right?
MinusPrevious (Apr 5, 2019)
Old Apr 4, 2019, 11:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
A few day ago I go a letter from Mitsubishi that they were not sure if in the first recall in 2015 the correct (most recent) parts have been used and invited me to make a new recall. So yesterday I had the pleasure to have it done for the second time.
I'm thankfull to have a good dealership near home (only 15 minutes drive) here in Switzerland that did an excellent job, the whole dashboard in my 2006 Evo IX is still firm and I have no rattling at all
Cheers,
Patric
Old Apr 5, 2019, 05:50 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by empunker
Cool I'm going to give them a shot at it... my car is still on the stock OEM tune so it shouldn't hurt to have the PCM flash done right?
Yep, I agree. Go ahead w/the PCM update. I havent read it lately but the ECU adjustment was to help the CAT live a bit longer IIRC.

If youre not tuned, you will be OK w/the PCM update flash

Let me know how it goes. Back in the day (12-15 years ago), SC Mitsu was the the true leader in EvO sales / service
empunker (Apr 5, 2019)

Quick Reply: Another air bag recall update