Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Dealer Horror Story, Ourisman Mitsubishi, Evo IX Takata Airbag Recall

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2015, 06:05 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I should've checked the forums before getting my recall in at Kings here at Gaithersburg. All these horror stories making me worried. Will update, should be done soon.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by crazyprac
I should've checked the forums before getting my recall in at Kings here at Gaithersburg. All these horror stories making me worried. Will update, should be done soon.
From what I've read, you'll be fine at King. Please let us know how it goes.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

Jeezus Christ, I just realized my AEM UEGO A/F gauge is frozen, just reading 14.8 constantly. I didn't notice it until just now but that's too much of a damn coincidence.

You can see it working normally in the video, at @ the 1:00 mark.

Now I have a new research project.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Pudge23
Thanks for the feedback! Ended up being a loose connection inside the gauge pod, somehow the connector dislodged itself. Back to normal now.

I will keep the other suggestions in mind if and when it starts acting up again.
I'll try this out tomorrow in the light.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Makes me wonder if I should get the recall done or not. The closest Mitsubishi dealer for me has horrible reviews.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

Dealer couldn't fix my AEM but at least fixed my stupid dashboard lights. Hopefully Moore Automotive can hook me up with a good diag on the AEM tomorrow.

Never taking my baby to Ourisman again. Stupid, stupid, stupid.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

You can fuse the airbag lines with a 3amp fuse and Prevent the SrS light from coming on, If its already on, well thats a fail.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I know its a headache, but it would be irresponsible not to get it fixed, even its just you riding around by yourself. Take a look at the images members posted. That's enough violence to the face to absolutely distract any driver and go careening towards another driver -which you might cause serious harm or death. I would hate for any evo owner if its just one cause harm to another. Let alone harm my mother in the passenger seat.

-I'm doing this: video taping my car the day before taking it to the dealership fully working,
-I will disconnect my gauges, wires and all. Focus on wire uninstall since this will be the most critical.
-Record working windows, gauge cluster, heater, ACD lights and a properly running car.
-And finally and most importantly saving a copy of my tune, and immobilizer code.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Sil'vr-Boi6
I know its a headache, but it would be irresponsible not to get it fixed, even its just you riding around by yourself. Take a look at the images members posted. That's enough violence to the face to absolutely distract any driver and go careening towards another driver -which you might cause serious harm or death. I would hate for any evo owner if its just one cause harm to another. Let alone harm my mother in the passenger seat.

-I'm doing this: video taping my car the day before taking it to the dealership fully working,
-I will disconnect my gauges, wires and all. Focus on wire uninstall since this will be the most critical.
-Record working windows, gauge cluster, heater, ACD lights and a properly running car.
-And finally and most importantly saving a copy of my tune, and immobilizer code.
Very true that, the pictures are pretty disturbing and make me want to get it done asap. The letter from Mitsu even says in bold letters, "To reduce the risk of injury, do not allow occupants to sit in the front passenger seat until this replacement is performed". That being said, I'm getting this done as soon as I possibly can.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

Moore confirmed that I had a fried AEM WB sensor. $100.00 to fix it. That happens when you unplug the gauge while it is powered up, I hear. Thanks Ourisman!

Interestingly, I got a $50.00 prepaid Mastercard debit card from Mitsubishi motors this weekend. I guess, an apology. That pays for half of the sensor they destroyed, so, I guess I should count my blessings.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 03:50 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
Are you already on Capital City Evolution? That's where I got the recommendation to go to King.

FWIW, Ourisman is MUCH closer to me. I have only been there once, to get a second key for the car. It didn't strike me as a dealership that sees a lot of Evos.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 04:47 AM

So which dealership is recomended if I live in Fairfax?
Old Aug 26, 2015, 06:49 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by itsmeek
So which dealership is recomended if I live in Fairfax?
King hasn't screwed anyone's up yet, AFAIK.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Butt Dyno
King hasn't screwed anyone's up yet, AFAIK.
i believe that is correct. I think it's your only other option, in any case.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had a similar experience, in Texas--
As for those thinking they wont do the recall---well, when the time comes time to sell and it comes up the recall wasn't taken care of, could cost you a sale--or a pretty penny to pay for it some years down the road.
For reference the dash board lights cant be purchased at autozone or any other retailer, they are expensive and dealer only for now and you will likely have to special order them--- ask me how I know. My dealer put my dash back with three out as well. Nice.
Gauges--yep mine too-- replace crooked.
Scratched up ash try as well.

NEXT DAY-- A FIRM AND PROFESSIONAL APPROACH, NEW BULBS, NEW ASHTRAY--no expense. yes sir was the only response a few days later I picked up the parts and got the job done--

Guessing the airbag works!

Quick Reply: Dealer Horror Story, Ourisman Mitsubishi, Evo IX Takata Airbag Recall