Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

White smoke at closed loop

Old Aug 20, 2015, 11:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
White smoke at closed loop

Hello,

This is a 2.3L PT6466 Evo IX making 650 whp at 35-36psi.
This issue was not seen before, and the engine has about 8000 miles on it.

I recently installed Radium Engineering crank catch can on my evo. I am not sure if this is the reason of the problem, but after the catch can I noticed white smoke after doing a pull and letting off the throttle. I am running on E85, and the car still pulls strong. I do not see any knock, boost levels and AFR levels look good.

The way the catch can is setup is from the crank vent, goes to the catch can and back into the intake.

I was wondering if there is a flow restriction and its causing for humidity to somehow stay trapped in the engine, thus when letting off the throttle its burning off?
I had the crank vent to the atmosphere before and I did not observe this issue. I have not tried to disconnect the catch can from the system and route the hose straight to the intake.

Like I said, this happened right after I am done doing the pull, let off the throttle (clutch in), and then smoke follows afterwards.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Regards