Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Threw a Rod at low speed, anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2015, 07:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread is partially to vent / commiserate.

I left work today for a nice 4 day weekend in my black 9 MR, and before I could leave the parking lot the car feels like it is running in mud and starts smoking. I was cruising maybe 25 mph and not even into boost.

Pulled over, popped the hood and see oil all over the turbo. I get hopeful that maybe just blew a turbo seal or hose. And then I see that my block has a 2 inch hole where cylinder 1 used to be. I'm assuming it's from a rod that wanted to go on vacation as well, but haven't torn it down yet.

Has anyone else had something similar happen to them....ever?

Car had a stock block with 67K runnning a twinscroll GT30R. I just had Iveytune install S1 cams and checked leakdown and compression in the process and everything was solid. Car dynod 385 at the wheels on only 23psi.

Not sure where I go from here - whether rebuild with possibly a 4G64 block or try to sell the car as-is and hope someone wants an otherwise super clean MR SE...ugh. need
Old Sep 3, 2015, 07:59 PM

Sorry to hear
Old Sep 3, 2015, 09:42 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts

It was already done well before it finally broke. Goes to show not all OEM motors are created equal. Sucks man
Old Sep 4, 2015, 03:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
depends on your budget maybe buy a beater and keep it for a winter project in the mean time try and source a stock block and do your own rebuild....bad luck in deed
Old Sep 4, 2015, 04:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Sucks man

Good luck with whatever plan you choose moving forward
Old Sep 4, 2015, 04:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Sounds like you got an "end of the week" engine in yours. Sorry to hear but my vote is for a fully built 4G64
Old Sep 4, 2015, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seling "as-is" is not adviseable unless you just like taking it raw dog. SOrry to be blunt but there are way to many lowballers that dont want to pay what a car is worth much less a car with a blown motor. Cheapest thing to do is find a OEM block with low miles on it and pray the seller is legit/honest. Even then its a crap shoot unless you are buying from the dealer.

I would build a 2.4 block with a REPUTABLE builder (IE: not your homeboy that knows the 4G63 like the back of his hand or a shop giving you a good deal). Put it back in the car and enjoy. Its not gonna be cheap if you dont do your own work but don't do things on the cheap. What works has been proven on this site. WHo to go with also is fairly easy to figure out.

Good luck. Been where you are and it sucks.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 10:10 AM
Evolving Member

thanks all. Got a few things for sale now hoping to finance the 4g64 build at this point. I'll have to start digging through those threads to see what 4g64 setups work best....winter is coming
Old Sep 4, 2015, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you dont build it go wit ha shop that has a proven track record of building evos with the least amount of complaints. If you aren't going to build it yourself (or tune it youself) then the best advice I can give you is to have one shop to do it all.

1 shop

DO.

IT.

ALL.

Lol.

Seriously. One shop does it all so if there are issues (and I would be amazed if there were little to none) then they have less wriggle room to NOT do the right thing.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 04:45 PM

I can relate, I too was recently tuned, ATP 3037, and Cosworth M2s. Only 21k miles total on the car, 333whp on 21psi. #4 came out to say hi, at only 2400 rpm, rush hour traffic, on my way to work, baby in the car. After tear down it appears to have been a piston failure.