Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Newb question need help please

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2015, 09:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Newb question need help please

Hey everyone, I apologize in advance for the most likely stupid questions I'm about to ask. The whole front xcase and rear diff thing is foreign to me. I keep searching all over and can't find anything helpful. I'm turning my evo 9 into a strictly drag evo so this is the reasoning for my questions.
1- can u use a rear lsd diff on an acd transfer case? Please explain
2- I'm getting rid of my acd bc again I'm doing drag only, so where can I find a place who converts my stock transfer case into a lsd one?

Thanks for the help
-Chris
Old Nov 22, 2015, 10:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your rear diff has lsd already you can get more aggressive clutch pack. And you can convert to a non acd transfer case shep can convert it
Old Nov 22, 2015, 10:19 PM
Evolving Member

So then what's the difference between an acd diff from an evo 9 and an lsd diff from an rs?
Old Nov 22, 2015, 10:26 PM
Evolving Member

One is mechanical and the other is controlled by pressure from the acd pump. There is lots of info on here
Old Nov 23, 2015, 07:59 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
If you are going straight drag racing then you will want to use spools. Basically they are just welded together and there is no slip.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 07:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
If you are going straight drag racing then you will want to use spools. Basically they are just welded together and there is no slip.
Yea it's going to be strictly drag and some minimal driving on the street. So is spools a company who does this or what? I'm sorry I'm just really confused with this stuff.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 07:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sssr20det510
One is mechanical and the other is controlled by pressure from the acd pump. There is lots of info on here
So mechanical is better for drag correct?
Old Nov 23, 2015, 07:36 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
a spool is what the part is called. Just do some google searching and you will see. You would probably have to contact a transmission shop that does DMS/Evo's and ask them about it. I dont think anyone sells the parts?(but maybe) i think its something done custom. Also if you are going to be competing its a good idea to check the rules for the class you will be in to see what they allow for. You will not want to drive the car on the street with spools. There is literally no slip so the tires will be chirping and generaly not happy doing anything but going in a straight line.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 07:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
a spool is what the part is called. Just do some google searching and you will see. You would probably have to contact a transmission shop that does DMS/Evo's and ask them about it. I dont think anyone sells the parts?(but maybe) i think its something done custom. Also if you are going to be competing its a good idea to check the rules for the class you will be in to see what they allow for. You will not want to drive the car on the street with spools. There is literally no slip so the tires will be chirping and generaly not happy doing anything but going in a straight line.
Thank you, finally. Ok so maybe that won't be such a good idea, what would u recommend then? People say open diff is more likely to break.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 08:56 PM
Evolving Member

Just keep the acd and have it tuned unless all you are going to do is drag race the car