Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Rough cold start on 93, suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2015, 06:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rough cold start on 93, suggestions?

Super rough cold start this morning, turned the key two slow and spaced out cranks then nothing, turned the key back to off, tried again few cranks came on. Temps got down around upper 20s last night, low 30s when being started. My concern is because it is my daily and its going to get around 0-5 degrees F at coldest. 03 evo 90k on body 6k on oem short block gsc s1 cams, cop spoolin up kit, tbe, intake, catch can, walbro 255, streetlite flywheel, act xtss clutch. I do have the mini battery kit so im considering that maybe an issue. First thing i was going to do is have the start up mapped checked out by a shop, then possibly the battery issue, then starter selenoid and then the starter assuming the other ideas do not solve the problem. Thanks for any input

Last edited by Tommyy; Dec 6, 2015 at 08:21 AM.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 08:04 AM

Previous owner and i were bsing because the cd ejected and i asked if he wanted it. He said the fact that it ejected meant that there was a loose battery connection and then i told him the symptoms and he said he thought the battery was a little low. I didnt drive it for a day or two, i know they die quickly after not being used but i dont think that is a long enough period
Old Dec 7, 2015, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
If you're driving your car in cold temps you should use a full size battery. You can always switch it back when summer returns. To me it just sounds like the battery doesn't have enough amps.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Yup mini battery is your culprit. It doesn't have enough cold cranking amps in cold weather.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 04:14 PM

Sounds like its time for a full size relocate to the rear once i log to confirm its the battery, thanks guys