Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Gap Between Roof & Vortex Generator

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2016, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Gap Between Roof & Vortex Generator

Noticed there's a decently spaced gap between my roof and the vortex generator... This is on an MR, vortex generator from the factory. If I wanted to seal this/close it up, what would be the best way to go about it?
Old Jan 28, 2016, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
I would say take it off, clean the glue/tape off and put it on with double sided tape...that's how I did mine...
Old Jan 28, 2016, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Is this gap towards the ends of the VG? I have an OEM VG that I installed on my evo and it seems to curve up as it gets closer to the end of the right and left side of the car.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

i'll have to take a look, but I believe so...
Old Jan 28, 2016, 11:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Not an MR owner, but received my VG for an X-mas gift. It did come with sticky tape from Mitsu, but does have a small, roughly 1" long, gap on both sides. Just large enough to catch pine needles.
My best guess to seal it up would be to mark the roof along the front of the VG, pull it, hopefully not breaking it, & then apply silicone along the tape line & reapply with new double sided tape. Just my 2¢.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
really? I don't have an mr but have a vg and I don't have this problem...
Old Jan 29, 2016, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
This is what mine looks like it. It's OEM but I installed it.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

i'll try to take a look this weekend, been really busy
Old Mar 7, 2016, 08:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What did you guys find out on this one? I have an OEM piece painted and I have noticed the same issue at the corners when test fitting. I have heard this could be due to the VGs being designed to fit the aluminum roof only and that it may be dimensionally different. I don't know if this is true or not.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 12:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by isiz
What did you guys find out on this one? I have an OEM piece painted and I have noticed the same issue at the corners when test fitting. I have heard this could be due to the VGs being designed to fit the aluminum roof only and that it may be dimensionally different. I don't know if this is true or not.

I've got an OEM Apex Silver one. I bought mine when you could pick the stock color you wanted back in the day. Anyway, my point is the mines a GSR and it fits flush to the roof. I don't think this has anything to do with the trim level car you have.

O.P. I agree with others that have posted. Take it off and re-apply 3-M double sided tape and remount again.

-BMH
Old Mar 7, 2016, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bluepeartype-s
I've got an OEM Apex Silver one. I bought mine when you could pick the stock color you wanted back in the day. Anyway, my point is the mines a GSR and it fits flush to the roof. I don't think this has anything to do with the trim level car you have.

O.P. I agree with others that have posted. Take it off and re-apply 3-M double sided tape and remount again.

-BMH
^^^ I don't think the VG has d-sided tape all the way around the roof line and it gaps as a result.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 12:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by meckert
^^^ I don't think the VG has d-sided tape all the way around the roof line and it gaps as a result.
Whatever.. I checked out Rexspeed. They use 3M adhesive. I'm not sure about OEM. You got the point though.
-BMH
Old Mar 8, 2016, 06:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The shop that painted mine put tape on (3M I'm pretty sure) but it is right on the edge, almost no spacing so I think I will remove it, use some adhesive promoter and place some 3M VHB on there where OEM has it. Maybe the fitment will be better that way.

Does anyone know if OEM uses an adhesive promoter on the paint side? I'm hesitant to use one in case it damages the paint. My plan is dish soap to strip any and all wax and then isopropyl alcohol, little bit of heat and stick it on but curious about adhesion promoters on the paint.