Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Automakers Still Selling Cars With Defective Takata Airbags

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2016, 09:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Automakers Still Selling Cars With Defective Takata Airbags

At least four automakers — Toyota, Volkswagen, Fiat Chrysler and Mitsubishi — continue to sell new vehicles with defective Takata airbags that will need to be recalled, according to a Senate Commerce Committee report released on Wednesday.
Quoted from the New York Times.

Article here: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/02/bu...bags.html?_r=0

Big question in my mind after reading the article is whether is replacing the airbags with ones that will need to be replaced again.

That would mean pulling the dash yet another time ...

Doesn't really make me want to change my airbags until I know for sure ...
Old Jun 6, 2016, 11:36 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Thanks for the update. Largest recall in US history!

Yeah, I have just disconnected my passenger bag for the time being

Already had a bad dash episode w/my local dealer during the warranty period
Old Jun 6, 2016, 12:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
F*** F*** F***! Dealership screwed up my dash already and it now makes loose bolt rattling somewhere, also my trash tray and that shifter panel cluster is all scratched up....I don't want to bring it back in to have them screw up more stuff to my car again.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Wouldnt be deemed negligence on behalf of the Auto companies if anyone got hurt?
Old Jun 6, 2016, 11:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
That's not cool at all. Just goes to show how even when a spot light is shining on something folks STILL try to cheat the system.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 06:26 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

The automakers dont have much of a choice. They cant just let these cars sit. They must be moved out to prepare for sale

They are currently installing these Takatas, which are deemed safe, for the time being. It has to do w/the propellants used & over time, these powders are getting moist w/corrosion taking place
Old Jun 7, 2016, 08:09 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
What MinusPrevious said. These inflators aren't defective right away. Over time and with moisture they corrode and become defective. So all these vehicles will need to be recalled when the parts are available, but right now they are not a safety issue.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Instead of installing 8 airbags in each car the makers could install a seatbelt harness that works. Oh, that's right, those are just too inconvenient plus people wouldn't wear them anyway - a harness would wrinkle your clothes. Its better to get your head blown off.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 10:50 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by barneyb
Instead of installing 8 airbags in each car the makers could install a seatbelt harness that works. Oh, that's right, those are just too inconvenient plus people wouldn't wear them anyway - a harness would wrinkle your clothes. Its better to get your head blown off.
Harnesses require a head and neck restraint. No one is going to wear that for daily use because it would also require a helmet and proper roll cage. Air bags are a safety necessity for street driven vehicles.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
In 1970 I bought my first new car, a Ford Maverick. This was a sardine can with blue paint but it had great safety belts. Both the seat belt and shoulder belt were of the type found in airliner seats where you cinched the belt tight by pulling on the free end of the webbing. Cinch these tight and you were locked in place.

Compare those to the 'modern' belts in the Evo. They are so handy, just reach over and webbing appears from two hidden reels and when you do some evasive driving, better brace yourself because those belts are just along for the ride until you hit something.

Once you do hit something, thank God for pretensioners, if they work, because otherwise those reels, full of webbing, even locked, if the locks work, are going to pay out a good deal of slack before they start doing any work, so much slack that you need an airbag, if it works, to keep your head from hitting something.

I suggest that what happens is the car makers have a concept, it gets government approval, the tooling is in place and once that concept is shown to contain flaws, rather than revisiting it for a fix they choose the alternative path of adding gizmo after gizmo.

Last edited by barneyb; Jun 8, 2016 at 05:33 PM.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 05:50 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

^^^Totally get what you said. Ive been running Schroth AutoControl belts for years on the EVO. If my butt is not firmly in the seat I dont feel comfortable

On my DD, I have traditional OEM ratchets but I always snug them down so the ratchet locks & keeps my rear glued to the seat