Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Need advice for 650whp build

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2016, 12:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice for 650whp build

i have a 06 evo mr. I'm building it pay check to paycheck so it's a lengthy build. I'm not sure if the stock block is capable of 650whp. If anyone knows if the stock block would be good for it or if I need to go with a aftermarket block. I'm completely clueless on what Intake manifold to go with. I'm thinking about porting and polishing mine. The car is pretty much stock right now besides a Megan racing down pipe, test pipe, and greedy exhaust and mbc. I'm opening up all the piping first. Next is bigger innercooler with all the piping, tial bov, s2 cams not sure which ones to go with. E85 dual map, dual walbero 255 pumps, upgraded springs and retainers, bigger crank with Manley I beams and Pistons, idk if a stroker kit would be good or not. If I should stick with 2.0 or maybe 2.2, 2.3, or 2.4. Thinking of a fp black or red Completely clueless on the suspension I need once I start pushing more horsepower. Am I missing anything and what advice does everyone have for me? My goal is a 650whp street car on e85 and at least 500whp on 91.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
What is your purpose for 650 whp? i dont suggest chasing a certain number. try going with the s2 cams/springs, lower ic pipe and intercooler, crushed oem bov, intake along with a e85 tune with the 91 octane dual mapped. it should be plenty street fun like this. The upper pipe doesn't do much if any at all. The stroke really depends on what you intending to do with the car. the SS Black should get you there on e85. im not sure on pump gas. you also might want to think about your transmission. the stock tranny will limit you to under 400 wtq. i hope this helps a little, im sure more people will chime in. also, the "search" buttons are great to use. scour through the forum also. have fun and good luck!
Old Sep 4, 2016, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Go to the tuning forum, most are fully built to maintain some sort of reliability
Old Sep 4, 2016, 01:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Bman513
i have a 06 evo mr. I'm building it pay check to paycheck so it's a lengthy build. I'm not sure if the stock block is capable of 650whp. If anyone knows if the stock block would be good for it or if I need to go with a aftermarket block. I'm completely clueless on what Intake manifold to go with. I'm thinking about porting and polishing mine. The car is pretty much stock right now besides a Megan racing down pipe, test pipe, and greedy
exhaust and mbc. I'm opening up all the piping first. Next is bigger innercooler with all the piping, tial bov, s2 cams not sure which ones to go with. E85 dual map, dual walbero 255 pumps, upgraded springs and retainers, bigger crank with Manley I beams and Pistons, idk if a stroker kit would be good or not. If I should stick with 2.0 or maybe 2.2, 2.3, or 2.4. Thinking of a fp black or red Completely clueless on the suspension I need once I start pushing more horsepower. Am I missing anything and what advice does everyone have for me? My goal is a 650whp street car on e85 and at least 500whp on 91.
Where are you located to only be able to source 91 octane?
if you're looking for a street warrior I would recommend going with a 2.4 build. You can source out a 2.4 shortblock from specific year models that match up exactly to our cylinder head... They are cheap to find and allows you to use your stock block as a back up core in case the ugly happens... Review the threads regarding building a 4G64 for the EVO... I have a fully built 2.4lr myself and can help you with any questions you need. Also I have a FP BLack turbo that I am removing from my Evo since I'm going to a bigger turbo that can suit your power goals
Old Sep 4, 2016, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
650 hp on e85... (tons of variables here but in general).

oem crank or forged crank.
upgraded rods
upgraded pistons
upgraded valvetrain.
upgraded turbo.
upgraded fuel system
Old Sep 6, 2016, 08:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Keep it at or under 450whp
No need for exotic internal parts or expensive laggy turbos
Swap to 5spd. 6spd is garbage.
If drag racing is your deal; many guys have gone into the 10s even 9s on stock block/turbo.
Beat the **** out of the car for many years to come without worrying about it grenading.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by ReidFletcher
Keep it at or under 450whp
No need for exotic internal parts or expensive laggy turbos
Swap to 5spd. 6spd is garbage.
If drag racing is your deal; many guys have gone into the 10s even 9s on stock block/turbo.
Beat the **** out of the car for many years to come without worrying about it grenading.
The 6 spd is actually a way smoother trans then the 5. If your going for big numbers then ya ditch the 6spd. If you're keeping the torque in check and not shooting for the moon, the 6 spd is a nice trans. I ran around at 400whp for years on the 6 spd and had no issues.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 03:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
You're not going to make 650whp and have the torque in check for the 6 speed to live.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
You're not going to make 650whp and have the torque in check for the 6 speed to live.
I was referencing the comment above mine referring to 450whp. A 6spd at 650whp would have an extremely short and tragic life span.