Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Overseas Buyers

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2004, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Overseas Buyers

I have my EVO for sale, and I live in Michigan, my question is I have had several people inquire from overseas, I wonder is it because they can't get the EVO's in the UK? or is the US currency exchange is in thier favor?
Is there anything to watchout for when you sell a car to someone overseas?

thanks Michigan Steve
Old Mar 30, 2004, 09:36 PM
Evolving Member

i say get the $ in your bank first then you're worry free
Old Mar 30, 2004, 09:48 PM
Evolving Member

UK? Any from Nigeria? just FYI: If you get a response from someone saying they're representing a 'client' delete the email and report as abuse to the provider. I got these once every 3-4 days when I sold my car online.
Old Mar 30, 2004, 10:48 PM
Evolved Member

We get these fake buy offers a lot on the old school Mini boards...

99 out of 100 overseas buy offers are scams. These days most of the car buying scams are coming from the UK, belgium and the Netherlands.

If the person claims to be a broker, is handing over more $$ than you offered, has a 3rd party delivering a bank draft, wants to buy without even really asking any questions.......it's a scam.

Add to your for sale ad that you are only interested in selling to local or US based buyers....that should cut down on the bogus inquiries.
Old Mar 30, 2004, 10:57 PM
UFO
Evolved Member

Re: Overseas Buyers

Originally posted by Michigan Steve
I have my EVO for sale, and I live in Michigan, my question is I have had several people inquire from overseas, I wonder is it because they can't get the EVO's in the UK? or is the US currency exchange is in thier favor?
Is there anything to watchout for when you sell a car to someone overseas?

thanks Michigan Steve
The Evo is available in the UK. However, the pound sterling is quite strong against the dollar these days. Normal exchange rates are $1.6 to the pound but it's hovering around $1.8 right now. The Evo is around 30,000 UK pounds sterling new ($55,000). So, if a Brit were to pick up an Evo from the States for $30,000, for example, that would be 16,360 pounds, a 14,000 pounds saving. Not sure how much shipping & registration would be, but it wouldn't be 14,000 pounds. I have seen many left hand drive cars in England, including Domestics like Mustangs, so I don't think it's quite as difficult to get foreign vehicles registered there.

Having said all that, if you do decide to go the foreign route then use a well known company in the foreign land to handle the exchange for you. Counterfeit banker's checks will clear in your account immediately and it can take weeks for the banks to spot them and pull the money from your account. I would only do the deal if it was wired funds and you had a contract to back you up. I'm pretty sure wired transfers are pretty much counterfeit proof (someone correct me if I'm wrong).
Old Mar 31, 2004, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

I'd be careful about selling overseas. If you decide to pursue the sale, I would strongly consider having a US based escrow company aquire the funds before shipping. You might also want to make sure you insurance will cover a trans-atlantic voyage, too. And make the buyer pay for shipping, etc.
Old Mar 31, 2004, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

Your car insurance does not factor into the equation when shipping a vehicle overseas. When you ship a vehicle across the ocean, you are given the option to buy cargo insurance. That insurance is what covers any loss that occurs fromt he point when the vehicle leaves your hands to the point when it is signed off to it's new owner at the next port.

SC~ who knows because he has shipped cars before.
Old Mar 31, 2004, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks SC; I figured ocean voyages would be excluded on most policies.
Old Mar 31, 2004, 10:33 AM

UFO is right about the pound sterling figure. It is a good idea for UK car buyers to order their cars from overseas due to the prices of vehicles there. Im from the UK and I am considering shipping my evo there, should I decided to move back. The shipping isn't too expensive either. RORO (ROLL ON ROLL OFF) shipping, which means the car is chained to the ship and sent on its way, is around 800-1000$ to southampton, UK (from east coast). Container shipping is more, I'm not sure on the exact figures but look to pay 1200-2000$. Just as a side note, for me, geico will insure my car overseas which is great because with an american license, i was quoted 13,000 pounds a year insurance with a UK insurance company!!!!
Old Mar 31, 2004, 10:34 AM

Thanks everybody for your thoughts, I am not pursueing the buyer overseas. I am sure I can sell it state side. I am beginning to think it was a scam.
My EVO has 22,000 and is lighting yellow, any thoughts on what it is worth? I was hoping for 24-25k.

thanks, Michigan Steve
Old Mar 31, 2004, 10:47 AM
UFO
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Michigan Steve
Thanks everybody for your thoughts, I am not pursueing the buyer overseas. I am sure I can sell it state side. I am beginning to think it was a scam.
My EVO has 22,000 and is lighting yellow, any thoughts on what it is worth? I was hoping for 24-25k.

thanks, Michigan Steve
Yeah, you're probably best to steer clear and avoid the potential problems. As for price: I dunno man. It's kind of a bad time to be selling your used Evo when the new model year is ready to be released and dealers are offering heavy discounts to move old stock. Good luck with selling it though.

bluebyyoufla: I had a similar problem when I moved to the US and none of the Stateside insurance carriers would insure me on my GB license, or they wanted to rape me. Getting a US license was the easiest 5 minutes of my life ever though .
Old Mar 31, 2004, 10:51 AM

Have you sold your evo?
I have one in Michigan too. 14,000 miles. I was also wondering what it is worth?
Where is the best place to list the Evos for sale?
Thanks

Last edited by Thanasi; Mar 31, 2004 at 10:56 AM.
Old Mar 31, 2004, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

but isn't UK right hand drive?

-joe
Old Mar 31, 2004, 12:04 PM
UFO
Evolved Member

Originally posted by sillypuddy
but isn't UK right hand drive?

-joe
Yes, it is. Only really presents a problem when overtaking and going through drive-thrus/parking garages.