Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Clutch burn in reverse?

Old Sep 25, 2016, 06:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch burn in reverse?

So clutch is fairly new...all forward gears work just fine. At first, 1st gear would bite way to high so I adjusted the pedal and now it's fine. Problem is I have to let the clutch all the way out to reverse or the car will shudder and the clutch will burn. Especially on a slight incline. Typically I have been able to slip a little bit with no issue. Letting the clutch out in reverse wouldn't be an issue, but the reverse gear is fast and it's too much to be able to control the car. I am not skilled enough to back into a parking space at 5mph lol. Any thoughts? Competion clutch with stock flywheel.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 07:26 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Mechanically, Im sure youre fine. Its learning how to properly run the EvO in reverse. I get a shutter in reverse, at times, when moving rearwards up an incline

Excessive slip is likely causing the clutch smell (burn)

Reversing is usually a short distance event, but learning how to fully engage the clutch in reverse & keeping the revs in the right spot takes a bit of finesse
Old Sep 25, 2016, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Mechanically, Im sure youre fine. Its learning how to properly run the EvO in reverse. I get a shutter in reverse, at times, when moving rearwards up an incline

Excessive slip is likely causing the clutch smell (burn)

Reversing is usually a short distance event, but learning how to fully engage the clutch in reverse & keeping the revs in the right spot takes a bit of finesse
I see, I mean I've had an evo 8, 9, X and now a 9 again and all the others I could slip a bit and control the reverse. I even had the same clutch in my old 9 (competition). Guess I gotta get use to how this clutch is. Thanks
Old Sep 25, 2016, 11:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
It's the competition clutch I have one in my evo 8 it does the same thing it will even do it in first if I don't let it out at the perfect time they also chatter and shudder like mad if you don't know the perfect spot but my clutch does not slip in any gear to redline
Old Sep 25, 2016, 03:11 PM

Ah okay. Good to know
Old Sep 27, 2016, 06:11 PM

any more thoughts on this? Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 06:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
I'm also running a comp stage 2 and I just slowly let the clutch pedal out, car moves itselfs backwards just fine, no shudders or anything, and definitely no burning. I don't have a stock flywheel on the other hand. My only real issue with this clutch so far is it's so chattery, wants to have a conversation everytime I decel. My ACT clutches in my DSMs would chatter for about 1000-3000km then be quiet. This one is still loud after nearly 15,000 KM's I contacted the shop that installed it and inquired about them making sure the surfaces had all been cleaned. Read some reviews and lots of other folks seem to have very chattery clutches as well.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 11:36 AM

Interesting, so mine is a stage 2 as well. Apparently they don't make stage 1. Mine burns and shudders if i just use the clutch to reverse like you said. Might have to tinker with the clutch pedal again.

Last edited by evoul18; Sep 28, 2016 at 12:12 PM.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 08:21 PM

Just a follow up to close this thread out. Clutch is good now. I adjusted the pedal and forward is good to go. For reverse, I still have to let out the clutch all the way on an incline but flat ground it goes back just fine. Just had to get used to how this one operates.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 07:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i had a competition clutch stage 4 (6 puk paddle) with standard flywheel in my rb25det powered 200sx s14a, it would judder like mad when creeping in traffic and would smell a little but after it was run in it was fine, also had the same clutch (but brand new) in my r33 skyline but with a new light weight flywheel, the clutch didn't judder as much or smell at all in the skyline, could be due to the new surface of the flywheel.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 07:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
also the pedal adjusted by its self on both cars.