Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Front License Plate Bracket Garnish EVO 9

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2016, 08:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front License Plate Bracket Garnish EVO 9

So I've been pulled over 3 times now for no front license plate bumper. 1 time locally in West Texas, and 2 times on the highway between Dallas and Amarillo. I got a 200 dollar ticket so I need to put a front license plate on. Right now I have it jerry rigged with zip ties on the black mesh, but I would feel more comfortable mounting it correctly with screws.

So I bought this item: http://www.streettunedmotorsports.co...t_6430a057.htm

Which they didn't even include the right mounting hardware, they advertise 3 screws and 1 nut, which doesn't make sense. And the nut they sent me wasn't even a rubber nut, it was a metal line nut.

But my question regarding this is, do I have to remove the bumper to put the nuts in the back after I screw it in? I reached from the top from the hood and can't reach my hand in there. Or do I need to remove the undertray and go from the bottom? In that case I'd probably have to take it somewhere to do since I don't have jacks over here...

One other question, how do I know the exact location to drill the screws? I don't see any sort of markings. The bottom screw on the garnish looks like it might match the part in the front bumper where the little circular cut out areas pop out but I'm not sure if that's exactly where it's supposed to go. Is it?

I attached the PDF that I found online for this item.

I'm a newbie when it comes to working on my car so if you can keep the terminology pretty basic I'd appreciate it. Thanks everyone!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Frnt Plate Instructions.pdf (68.8 KB, 0 views)
Old Nov 20, 2016, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
So the picture at the bottom of STM's website, there should be 3 or 4 screws and 3 or 4 rubber things to go with them. i can't remember if it's 3 or 4, i think it's 4 though. if STM didn't send you there parts contact them back, the screws and rubber grommets and license plate bracket are all one assembly

line the plate up, drill holes (i think they're 1/2") and jam the rubber pieces through the front. the screws follow them, pulling the nuts in the end of the rubber things and creating a washer-like effect with the rubber

you don't need to get behind the bumper at all to mount this
Old Nov 20, 2016, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool thanks for the help. Is there any way to know what location exactly they need to be drilled at or do we kind of just estimate by lining it up and picking a spot?
Old Nov 20, 2016, 04:20 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by leoni101
Cool thanks for the help. Is there any way to know what location exactly they need to be drilled at or do we kind of just estimate by lining it up and picking a spot?
The OEM bracket is made to cue up right where its supposed be mounted
Old Nov 21, 2016, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
when i mounted mine I just lined it up on the bumper so that the top of the bracket (the curved portion) was flat against the bumper. It's curved so that it only fits within a few inch section. just move it around until it sits flush and doesn't rock around in any direction. i used a sharpie to mark each hole then drill. if you really want you could mark the first and drill then mounted that corner and drill the rest with the bracket on, up to you